Alternative acne treatments?

Found 21st Jun 2016
I struggle with spots/acne on my face, chest and back. I was looking for cheaper alternatives to Dermalogica and Simple products. Does anyone know of any? Or can elaborate on what they use?

Thanks in advance...
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Have you tried looking into food allergies/intolerances you may have?
I had the same a while back but found out what I was allergic to, cut it all down and my skin drastically got better.
My daughter has tried all sorts of creams & lotions, but the stuff she has now, called Zineryt lotion is definitely the best. Nothing else has worked at all, but this keeps her skin much clearer.
go to your GP and see if you will be suitable for raccutane treatment. it's extremely good medication but does have some side effects so not everyone can have it prescribed
My daughter uses hibiscrub It is also used at vets but try it. For the price it's worth a go what works for some don't work for others read the reviews.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…=sd
As above, go see your gp, I did and was prescribed duac, spot free now.
gsj87

Have you tried looking into food allergies/intolerances you may have? I … Have you tried looking into food allergies/intolerances you may have? I had the same a while back but found out what I was allergic to, cut it all down and my skin drastically got better.

How do you actually do this? Go to your GP and say you'd like to be tested for all common food allergies?
Muir

How do you actually do this? Go to your GP and say you'd like to be … How do you actually do this? Go to your GP and say you'd like to be tested for all common food allergies?

​ifnits food related you have to be literally on few foods diet which will cause many other issues .also you have to remain on that diet until spots resolve (which could be never ).
you can also try eating the exact same foods for again unspecified amount of time. and see what happens .after your spots disappear you add each new food for a week or 2...
normally it's high fat or high sugar foods that cause the issues but it could be spices , or even certain vitamins
mattsokolinski

go to your GP and see if you will be suitable for raccutane treatment. … go to your GP and see if you will be suitable for raccutane treatment. it's extremely good medication but does have some side effects so not everyone can have it prescribed

Raccutane is some serious sh*t.. you need to have tried all other avenues before you even go down this route. There's been cases of suicide etc from people who have used this. I tried it in my teens but it just made my skin very dry and irritable so I stopped.
Muir

How do you actually do this? Go to your GP and say you'd like to be … How do you actually do this? Go to your GP and say you'd like to be tested for all common food allergies?

Yes - go to your GP but don't just say 'I'd like to be tested', make sure you tell them your reasons and symptoms for why you want to get tested. I was referred to an Allergy clinic after having a severe allergic reaction to something I ate, so had a genuine reason.
gsj87

Have you tried looking into food allergies/intolerances you may have? I … Have you tried looking into food allergies/intolerances you may have? I had the same a while back but found out what I was allergic to, cut it all down and my skin drastically got better.

Thanks I will look into this. Never really considered that sort of route.
plymouthgal

My daughter has tried all sorts of creams & lotions, but the stuff she … My daughter has tried all sorts of creams & lotions, but the stuff she has now, called Zineryt lotion is definitely the best. Nothing else has worked at all, but this keeps her skin much clearer.

Thanks will give it a go.
mattsokolinski

​ifnits food related you have to be literally on few foods diet which w … ​ifnits food related you have to be literally on few foods diet which will cause many other issues .also you have to remain on that diet until spots resolve (which could be never ).you can also try eating the exact same foods for again unspecified amount of time. and see what happens .after your spots disappear you add each new food for a week or 2...normally it's high fat or high sugar foods that cause the issues but it could be spices , or even certain vitamins

Yep, you're right. For me, I'm allergic to a number of food groups (dairy, nuts and wheat/flour mainly) but the most crucial one is sugar. If I have too much sugar, I immediately break out. If I don't have any sugar at all, my skin is crystal clear.
I used Roaccutane a way back in my early teens. I had really bad acne, and this stuff cleared it up.

Side effects of very very bad heartburn all the time, and very dry eyes (I also wear contact lenses).

So if all else fails this stuff will probably work, but there is a trade off!
mattsokolinski

go to your GP and see if you will be suitable for raccutane treatment. … go to your GP and see if you will be suitable for raccutane treatment. it's extremely good medication but does have some side effects so not everyone can have it prescribed

Thanks. I used to take roaccutane when I was in my teens. Absolute miracle drug but so expensive. It was costing me £100 a time to see a consultant for blood tests etc. My skin used to be awful back then so it was well worth it at the time. But now I'm just looking to top up my usual routine. It's just my chest mainly that's causing me issues. I have cut out all alcohol and eat well, but I'm still struggling. I have tried duac cream as well, but it's so harsh on my skin that it burns. Thanks for the suggestion though
drtongue

My daughter uses hibiscrub It is also used at vets but try it. For the … My daughter uses hibiscrub It is also used at vets but try it. For the price it's worth a go what works for some don't work for others read the reviews.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B001AV4C20/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_see_rcnt?ie=UTF8&s=sd

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ordered some with delivery tomorrow through Amazon prime. Most of the reviews seem very positive too.
verityjoanne

As above, go see your gp, I did and was prescribed duac, spot free now.

Thanks. I have already tried this stuff. It is kind of effective but is very harsh and can leave a burn rash on my chest. Some of my friends swear by it though.
Ye my experience was really positive with it previously. My lips took the main brunt of the dryness, along with my elbows but it was worth it in the end. Don't think I could afford that route again though and my skin is so much better than it was 15 years ago at secondary school. Just looking to keep topped up with some exfoliating creams or moisturisers as my chest is causing me issues. Maybe it's to do with sweat? Who knows?
I used to have a cream to manage my chest acne will let you know what it was
mattsokolinski

I used to have a cream to manage my chest acne will let you know what it … I used to have a cream to manage my chest acne will let you know what it was

Ok thanks
My son uses Panoxyl, he used to use duac but as that had to be kept in the fridge and was only any use for a small period of time before it expired after opening we swapped to Panoxyl. It's a bit hard to get hold of at the moment as I know the company that makes it had a supply of ingredients problem ( or so we were told). My daughter also uses it for exam stress outbreaks and it works for that too.
tower-health.co.uk/pan…wcB
Also this is available without a prescription.

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 21st Jun 2016
diamonddave

Ok thanks

flumetasone or clioquinol. I remember getting a cream (it was russian or latvian or something like that), but damn it was good.
tinkerbellian

My son uses Panoxyl, he used to use duac but as that had to be kept in … My son uses Panoxyl, he used to use duac but as that had to be kept in the fridge and was only any use for a small period of time before it expired after opening we swapped to Panoxyl. It's a bit hard to get hold of at the moment as I know the company that makes it had a supply of ingredients problem ( or so we were told). My daughter also uses it for exam stress outbreaks and it works for that too. http://www.tower-health.co.uk/panoxyl-aquagel-10-40g-pack-of-3.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYr-St3nkZRy4uLwxCLvPum86r4acKWW5_Z3uSMJMm2IxoCFwHw_wcBAlso this is available without a prescription.

Duac now comes in smaller tubes, or doctor will give you two lots for one prescription and only one needs to be in the fridge the open one just kept out.

Op try your doctor was amazed that they gave creams out, back in my day it was only clearacil
tinkerbellian

My son uses Panoxyl, he used to use duac but as that had to be kept in … My son uses Panoxyl, he used to use duac but as that had to be kept in the fridge and was only any use for a small period of time before it expired after opening we swapped to Panoxyl. It's a bit hard to get hold of at the moment as I know the company that makes it had a supply of ingredients problem ( or so we were told). My daughter also uses it for exam stress outbreaks and it works for that too. http://www.tower-health.co.uk/panoxyl-aquagel-10-40g-pack-of-3.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwy6O7BRDzm-Tdub6ZiSASJADPNzYr-St3nkZRy4uLwxCLvPum86r4acKWW5_Z3uSMJMm2IxoCFwHw_wcBAlso this is available without a prescription.

Thanks for that. My brother used to swear by that. I've ordered for my teenage daughter. Thanks for the reminder! xxx
Angel_Of_The_North

Thanks for that. My brother used to swear by that. I've ordered for my … Thanks for that. My brother used to swear by that. I've ordered for my teenage daughter. Thanks for the reminder! xxx

Glad to be of help it seems to work far better than the duac cream did, sons face is now pretty much clear again
eslick

Duac now comes in smaller tubes, or doctor will give you two lots for one … Duac now comes in smaller tubes, or doctor will give you two lots for one prescription and only one needs to be in the fridge the open one just kept out.Op try your doctor was amazed that they gave creams out, back in my day it was only clearacil

Our doctor will only prescribe one tube at a time, and as it only lasts 60 days once opened it was a bit of a pain, they also wouldn't put it on repeat prescription as it shouldn't be used long term, hence looking for an alternative and finding Panoxyl which in my sons case actually works better any way
tinkerbellian

Our doctor will only prescribe one tube at a time, and as it only lasts … Our doctor will only prescribe one tube at a time, and as it only lasts 60 days once opened it was a bit of a pain, they also wouldn't put it on repeat prescription as it shouldn't be used long term, hence looking for an alternative and finding Panoxyl which in my sons case actually works better any way

might have to give that one a try :), our doc will prescribe the larger tubes but the 2 different pharmacist have dispensed the smaller tubes as long as they are the same overall size.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants