Alternative Ice Cubes

Posted 27th May
Looking to get some of these but would like to know which are the best ones. The stainless steel and BPA free plastic ones sound good so can anyone recommend ones they have used please (preferably available on Amazon.)
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
JamieBeveridge27/05/2020 12:57

Stainless steel are good in that they sink and do the job but i would …Stainless steel are good in that they sink and do the job but i would suggest are less effective than real ice at bringing temp down but dont dilute the drink. Whisky stones (the actual stones ones) are pants at chilling and are designed to “cool” whisky rather than chill but have been proven to only drop the temperature a few degrees. Plastic ice cubes are terrible as they both float (meaning half of the cube is above the water line) and last nothing like as long as real ice. None are as effective as actual ice but stainless is the closest

I had no idea there was so much involved in ice cubes, all makes sense though! You should change you login to Jamiebeverage 😁
13 Comments
Stainless steel are good in that they sink and do the job but i would suggest are less effective than real ice at bringing temp down but dont dilute the drink. Whisky stones (the actual stones ones) are pants at chilling and are designed to “cool” whisky rather than chill but have been proven to only drop the temperature a few degrees. Plastic ice cubes are terrible as they both float (meaning half of the cube is above the water line) and last nothing like as long as real ice. None are as effective as actual ice but stainless is the closest

Stainless steel are good in that they sink and do the job but i would …Stainless steel are good in that they sink and do the job but i would suggest are less effective than real ice at bringing temp down but dont dilute the drink. Whisky stones (the actual stones ones) are pants at chilling and are designed to “cool” whisky rather than chill but have been proven to only drop the temperature a few degrees. Plastic ice cubes are terrible as they both float (meaning half of the cube is above the water line) and last nothing like as long as real ice. None are as effective as actual ice but stainless is the closest

I had no idea there was so much involved in ice cubes, all makes sense though! You should change you login to Jamiebeverage 😁
I use ice cube bags. But trying to cut down on plastic use
dorey6927/05/2020 13:19

I use ice cube bags. But trying to cut down on plastic use

Which ones do you use? I don't think I've seen reusable ones, they all seem to be disposable.
darlodge27/05/2020 13:09

I had no idea there was so much involved in ice cubes, all makes sense …I had no idea there was so much involved in ice cubes, all makes sense though! You should change you login to Jamiebeverage 😁

@JamieBeverage
BPA-Free stickers are pretty meaningless since a lot of those products contain other variants of the same chemical that behave in the same way.
I'm a bit confused as a one off purchase could you buy one of those little trays that are filled with water and left in the freezer, making ice cubes
Snoop Dogg?
How about freezing a load o'grapes and using them? wont dilute the drink.
I like whisky with a tiny bit of dry ginger ale so I simply make my ice cubes with the Ginger ale.
If you like an ice cold spirit drink simply put the bottle of booze in the freezer and as long as the alcohol strength is above 35% abv it will not freeze solid.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 27th May

Thanks for your reply. I was leaning towards the stainless steel so you've helped me choose those. I'll just get a small amount first to try them out.
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
If you dont't want to dilute your drink, why not make ice cubes using your choice of drink?

I freeze lemonade and place thin wedges of lime and lemon in the ice cube tray.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 27th May
Post a comment
@
    Text