Alternative Router/Modem setup for Sky Fibre

Found 10th Aug
Hi All

Looking for some advice please as we need to desperately to change our networking setup due to issues with SKy and their lack of any help to resolve.

Previously in another property we were using ASUS's AC68U via DSL but when we bought this place there were issues with stability all to do with the chipset and exchange oh an our ancient telephone line connection.

BUt all done, new line new internal wiring and openreach stated full 80mb profile available. We Got sent a Sky Hub 3 and been doing fine for months.

Having many issues with random disconnects either wireless/wired and no internet connection which is playing havoc with all the lights, cameras and even playing games on xbox one (School Holidays, Mid week and a demon child isnt helping).

Seems our only option remaining is to change to the old white boxes from when fibre first came out but seems to be vast amount of the marketplace. Which is the best one to go for make/model wise for our 80mb sky fibre. Is there a particuar one which works best and is more stable as quick ebay search for openreach modems brings up loads with very varied pricing.

Also going to need a new router as sold our AC68U so something similar but not as expensive would help with decent coverage so i cant get rid of the powerline adaptors, so if anyone have first hand experience and recommendations, especially any with 3rd party firmware support.

Thanks All
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I have the Sky Hub 2 SR102 as a simple ADSL modem connected through a Billion 7800N which the network sits on, also, gigabit passthrough powerlines, not sure if that information helps you any :)?
I use a TP Link Archer VR400 modem/router. About £55 on Amazon. Works very well for me on both Sky and Vodafone.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 10th Aug
Are you sure your box isn't over heating ?
Sky make life difficult if you do remove their box. The easiest way round this is to add your own router behind the sky box and then switch off the sky wifi. As M.B.L has done

Its not mega difficult and their are many helpful guides via Google. And the likes pf M.B.L can doubtless help
tried few things.

It seems issue is with line or at exchange. Even today after 80 mins on a call, 2nd person we spoke to made us go through the whole malarkey of unplugging an plugging in, reset box via little button and DSL light wouldn't change from amber. Said thats normal and always takes 15 mins to sync with exchange as its fibre, well tat was BS never done that before takes few mins at most as its reset every few days. Anyhow, took 3 goes, turning off and on before got a connection, speed still at 66mb and then went seems ok now and as we reset box everything should work fine and be much more stable.

More concerned of the huge speed decrease more than anything. not sell us 80mb fibre and then 5 months later.

Not an overheating issue I don't think as its in direct line of a tower fan which is on most of the day plus its sits ontop of a shelf well ventilated.

Plugging router into Q and bypassing sky doesn't help, Hue, Yi and Google all lost connection again. They have wireless but no internet.

Guess last option is too take some time out tomorrow evening wait until right time and get the nice native UK based Agents to help.

In meantime believe an openreach modem and separate 3rd party router may be best all round, just for the increased wireless coverage seen as 14 devices on Sky Q hub is not recommended by SKY!

Are openreach modems still specific to area you live in, do they need to be compatible with your local exchange of does it not matter anymore
I unplugged Open Reach, so only the Sky and 3rd Party Routers, if I can help you get it setup, let me know.
M.B.L.24 m ago

I unplugged Open Reach, so only the Sky and 3rd Party Routers, if I can …I unplugged Open Reach, so only the Sky and 3rd Party Routers, if I can help you get it setup, let me know.

Be nice to see how others are fairing.

Been with sky 3 years now, retention deals gave us no reason to move. Issue we had more than anything is perfect set up in last house, 2 bedroom 70sqm semi and fairly recent build (80s) Now we have over 200sqm and stone walls to contend with, alongside powerline adaptors which work ok, house is over 110 years old with wiring to match.

Sky say lines fine, issue is on our end. Tested to cows come home and no problems. Wired our most decent kit like PC/Xbox can max out current connected DSL speed when tested (xbox shows 65mb download, wired into switch to Q hub). Sky Technical states 8 days no dropouts according to their system yet my logs on my devices show 10 outages this week they even had nothing on there screen for the 15mins it was down this morning which our 8year old proudly brought to all our neighbours attention when speed dropped from 72287 to 65978 this morning.

But for sky to say issues is because we have 14 devices connected to hub which is too many and a phone connecting to internet during night for notifications and updates is causing bandwith issues as to why my lowly 720p stream on nowtv goes off or my Netflix errors which no internet connections baffles me. Even when I explained when screen if off on a portable device, wifi is not connected, on a phone it reverts to Data which doesn't use sky internet. Tis according to them makes no difference as its still connected to hub with reserved address so has been allocated bandwith for reserve!
ccnp4 h, 55 m ago

Sky make life difficult if you do remove their box. The easiest way round …Sky make life difficult if you do remove their box. The easiest way round this is to add your own router behind the sky box and then switch off the sky wifi. As M.B.L has doneIts not mega difficult and their are many helpful guides via Google. And the likes pf M.B.L can doubtless help

It is actually not that difficult providing you have a VDSL router that supports DHCP client (dhcp option 61).

The clientid doesn't even need to contain a valid username or password anymore.
If you can enable icmp traffic on the sky router so it responds to pings, you could use a free online service to monitor latency and packet loss:- thinkbroadband.com/bro…ity

I'd keep an eye on the VDSL stats, if the router gives them, to see if the various error counts are rocketing when having issues.
Have a look at mesh routers such as google home WiFi and bt home WiFi. No need for power line adapters and 2-3 units (only the first one needs to be plugged into the modem) should cover the whole home. There’s no lag like repeaters.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Aug
I have sky fibre and ditched the Q hub as the WiFi was rubbish (also have a sky q mini box which should also act as a WiFi hotspot and this was rubbish too).

got myself an openreach modem and a ubiquiti edge router with 2x POE Ubiquiti access points and its happy days.

been solid since install over a month ago. Not one disconnection or stutter.

wasnt particularly cheap but provides the whole house now with WiFi - even into the garden.

the access points are wired though but they do offer a mesh system instead if you wanted to go down that route.

It no longer matters which openreach modem you have as they both work, there used to be talk about getting the one that matches your cabinet but that rumour was debunked years ago.
Edited by: "mds1256" 11th Aug
ccnp17 h, 58 m ago

Sky make life difficult if you do remove their box. The easiest way round …Sky make life difficult if you do remove their box. The easiest way round this is to add your own router behind the sky box and then switch off the sky wifi. As M.B.L has doneIts not mega difficult and their are many helpful guides via Google. And the likes pf M.B.L can doubtless help

Wouldn’t do this as you end up with double nat, this can causes issues with gaming and secure websites
cmdr_elito23 h, 23 m ago

Have a look at mesh routers such as google home WiFi and bt home WiFi. No …Have a look at mesh routers such as google home WiFi and bt home WiFi. No need for power line adapters and 2-3 units (only the first one needs to be plugged into the modem) should cover the whole home. There’s no lag like repeaters.

Sorry to jump in here OP, @cmdr_elito do you any experience with the mesh systems and very very think stone walls in a large property?
ccnp10th Aug

Not anymore, As mentioned you don't even need to use a valid id anymore!

I used my own modem/router on Sky before switching to Vodafone and it was fine. With Vodafone I had to ask them the username and pass etc..
chezybezy7 h, 40 m ago

Sorry to jump in here OP, @cmdr_elito do you any experience with the mesh …Sorry to jump in here OP, @cmdr_elito do you any experience with the mesh systems and very very think stone walls in a large property?

Firstly there are two types, there’s the access points which require an Ethernet connections for all the units and there’s the newer types which just use the WiFi (and a power socket to power the unit).

Newer type (eg BT home WiFi/google home WiFi)

In theory they should work although you will need more units as the signal will drop more quickly. As every wall is different especially stone such as granite it’s very difficult to advise you properly, some walls in your house may absorb more signal than others, metal can do all sorts of things to WiFi too. In a commercial environment we get people out to do WiFi surveys which determine where access points are needed, however these would be too expensive for most home users.

If you want to try it buy a 3 pack of them from somewhere you can take them back if they don’t work as expected somewhere perhaps like Argos. Open the package carefully (in case you want to return them). Start by plugging one into the modem (if you have a modem router turn it to modem only mode and then plug in) then use something like a phone/tablet to see where the signal strength starts to drop off slightly in your home, bear in mind phone/tablet WiFi signal bar may only update every now and then so walk slowly. Then install the next one at that point (don’t install them where there is very low signal as they won’t be able to receive data very well) so if it drops off quickly install it at the strongest point. Then the next and so on until the whole house is covered. The good thing about these mesh networks is you can buy multiple units so you could buy another 3 pack if you needed it after installing your 3. The downside is if you need lots then it gets a bit expensive but if it works it’s worthwhile (if full WiFi is important to you). Note you will lose some download/upload speed for each hop so for example if you had a 100mb connection at the start if you were running through 3 units you might find the speed has dropped to 85mb (this is only example, speed loss will vary) but this is much better than a standard router.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions