Groups

Alternative to 306 wireless adaptor

Hiya, does anybody know if there is an alternative to the official 360 wireless adaptor, as I feel the official one is outstandingly expensive at +/-£60.

17 Comments

eBuyer sell flat ethernet cables for under a fiver.

buy those LAN plugs, there alot cheaper and your get a better connection

its a 360 btw, not a 306 :P

No there is no alternative, its not that expensive for the size and what it does, its actually a wireless bridge not just a WiFi receiver.

Original Poster

Tanchi;4598368

its a 360 btw, not a 306 :P

Silly me!:p

You can run most wireless access points in bridge mode/client mode - you'll have to google around to find out what works/ doesn't work. Here's one for the ]Linksys WRT54G

There was also the Netgear WGE111 that was a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure they are available any more.

Think game are doing them for 40 quid when bought with another item. :thumbsup:
    Instore I believe.

esq3585;4598428

Think game are doing them for 40 quid when bought with another item. … Think game are doing them for 40 quid when bought with another item. :thumbsup:Instore I believe.

Think they are £40 with.without buying anything

I bought and sold mine for £50!
    cheaer just to buy a lenth of lan cable and go under the floor with it

Sootie;4598420

You can run most wireless access points in bridge mode/client mode - … You can run most wireless access points in bridge mode/client mode - you'll have to google around to find out what works/ doesn't work. Here's one for the ]Linksys WRT54GThere was also the Netgear WGE111 that was a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure they are available any more.

how that work on the XBox360, you're missing the issue dude sorry.

Alfonse;4598480

how that work on the XBox360, you're missing the issue dude sorry.

Connect the 360 via the ethernet port to the wireless access point.

I simply go through my laptop to get my 360 online. Connection sharing is all you need, can be set up in no time at all.

Alfonse;4598390

No there is no alternative, its not that expensive for the size and what … No there is no alternative, its not that expensive for the size and what it does, its actually a wireless bridge not just a WiFi receiver.

I would also add that it supports 802.11a/b/g, meaning if you've got a Wireless router that's got 802.11a you'll get a much better connection than over 802.11g.

It is expensive tho, but as with most console peripherals you have to appreciate there's no driver installtion needed. Most of us 'techies' wouldn't bat an eyelid at installing a PCI / USB wi-fi adaptor, but lesser technical people would struggle

Sootie;4598488

Connect the 360 via the ethernet port to the wireless access point.

are you serious for that as a solution? You may as well just use a Ethernet cable and fore go using a additional wireless device and the extra power plug required and more cables!!!!

best solution ever

Alfonse;4598557

are you serious for that as a solution? You may as well just use a … are you serious for that as a solution? You may as well just use a Ethernet cable and fore go using a additional wireless device and the extra power plug required and more cables!!!!best solution ever

He asked for a cheap alternative - you can pick up a wireless router for less than £20,

No one said it was a perfect solution - but cheaper. :-D

Sootie;4598573

He asked for a cheap alternative - you can pick up a wireless router for … He asked for a cheap alternative - you can pick up a wireless router for less than £20, No one said it was a perfect solution - but cheaper. :-D

additional power usage is not cheaper

i've got powerline adaptors - they are cheaper (a bit) than the wifi option and give a much faster/stable connection, especially in our house since the modem/router is quite far from the telly.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions