Expired

Alternative to British Gas Homecare 200

Found 5th Mar 2013
So british Gas have put the price up on the gas/boiler care so I am looking for an alternative.Paying £20.75 per month.
Could anyone else recomend to me and maybe others a good contract that will cover the boiler and central heating system. I would like to have no excess for call out's.
Have a quote from Scottish power for £16.90 per month that inc....
Home Comfort Premium Care
24/7 call centre
24/7 emergency call out
Unlimited parts and labour
*2 Months Free in your first year (no payment collected in months 11 and 12)
Boiler and controls, radiators, thermostats, hot water cylinder

Any thoughts very welcome
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Have a look at eon, we moved from Homecare after it went up to over £27. We got penalised for leaks after servicing and multiple failed repairs.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 5th Mar 2013
Homecare 200 starts at £11 a month, if you phone up and cancel it they will offer you a lower monthly payment, tell them you are going to move to Scottish Power at £169 per year and they will probably match the price.
ScubaDudes

Have a look at eon, we moved from Homecare after it went up to over £27. … Have a look at eon, we moved from Homecare after it went up to over £27. We got penalised for leaks after servicing and multiple failed repairs.

have you had to call eon out and were they any good?
Not had eon out yet so can't comment on service. Homecare tried to match eon but only knocked a couple of pounds off.
ScubaDudes

Not had eon out yet so can't comment on service. Homecare tried to match … Not had eon out yet so can't comment on service. Homecare tried to match eon but only knocked a couple of pounds off.

it would great if you could come back to this thread and give us your experience of eon when you had to call them out as I am currently with British Gas homecare and would be interested to switch.
how old is your boiler / heating system?

has it let you down yet / have you used BG homecare?

EliTom
I've been with e.on for the last 4 or 5 years. It's now £16.50 a month. The engineers are very good - if they turn up! Had a few occasions when they missed their appointments early on, but haven't been bad lately.
Somebody

I've been with e.on for the last 4 or 5 years. It's now £16.50 a month. … I've been with e.on for the last 4 or 5 years. It's now £16.50 a month. The engineers are very good - if they turn up! Had a few occasions when they missed their appointments early on, but haven't been bad lately.

british gas used to be like this where they did not turn up or just posted a sorry we missed you note without knocking at the door so that they pretended they had called. they are very reliable now and never miss an appointment.
tell ya what i did i contacted a local plumber and asked if he would do a service like the boiler care he said if i used him for the boiler service if any big bills come in i could pay so much a month, so far its worked well for me and ive been using him for 5 years now , i put 25 quid away each month
Original Poster
elitom

how old is your boiler / heating system?has it let you down yet / have … how old is your boiler / heating system?has it let you down yet / have you used BG homecare?EliTom

My boiler is about 11 years old and we have had to call B.G out a couple of times.
1. The timer failed
2. The fan on the boiler was a little iffy.
They came out no problem and with a little bit of encouragement fixed the issues.
Npower seem to give a good quote @£15 per month and a poss £60 TCB for....
Features Hometeam central heating care
Key features 24 Hour emergency helpline
Annual service worth £99
Unlimited callouts
Repairs guaranteed for 12 months
Dedicated membership team
New replacement boiler if we are unable to repair your boiler (and it’s less than 7 years old)
Fixed fee per repair £0
Monthly membership fee £15 per month for the first year

I will ring BG and see what their best price is.

Thanks for your input to all the above
Banned
Have u tried southern electricity? I dont know about homecare but i m with them through marks and spencer and getting m&s gift vouchers plus their customer service is really very helpfull at all the time.
mercslkman

tell ya what i did i contacted a local plumber and asked if he would do a … tell ya what i did i contacted a local plumber and asked if he would do a service like the boiler care he said if i used him for the boiler service if any big bills come in i could pay so much a month, so far its worked well for me and ive been using him for 5 years now , i put 25 quid away each month

My other half used to do this but we subsequently found out it was not the best thing to do as he never serviced the boiler properly and so they packed up earlier. Also he would recommend a replacement rather than repair as he had an invested interest to charge for installation.

Most independent tradesmen can't be trusted to be honest i am afraid.
bg do a service for£3 a month whereby any repair doesnt cost ore than £99.plus have to pay for own yearly service,still works out cheap option
an annual service should cost about £50 max from a local gas fitter.so sparky's option may be more economic.

at 11 year old teh boiler is getting a bit old to "self insure"

EliTom
useful information
Original Poster
BG would only give a small discount so that is cancelled and it looks like Npower via TCB seem the best deal.
Eon look good as well at £13.75 per month no C/Back on them though.
I had so many issues with them too - horrendous company! I'm now with these guys uk-homecare.co.uk/ and they couldn't have been more helpful. Moral of the story - stick to independent companies and avoid British Gas at all costs.
I had so many issues with them too - horrendous company! I'm now with these guys uk-homecare.co.uk/ and they couldn't have been more helpful. Moral of the story - stick to independent companies and avoid British Gas at all costs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions