Groups

alternative to dropbox? is mega any good?

Hi ive got s5 and had the email saying the 48gb has expired please pay......
    I see forums saying mega good and this being the next best thing (mega) but in 2017 is this still the case? I prob have 30gb in files and photos
    Could someone please promp me whats best i like the idea like dropbox where you take a pic on phone it backs it up
    Thanks in advance

16 Comments

What's wrong with Google drive. Free unlimited photos however compressed a little but who cares. if you review your Google security every February when prompted you get another 2gig. I have 19gig soon to be 21gig. If you want to backup big files and a lot of them get a network solution. Nas server or drive linked to your network. Mega is ok but what happens if it gets switched off or you files get hacked. If that's not a worry to you and you can cope with slow access speeds then go for it. Not for me.

Oh. If you find a mate with Dropbox app already on there device when they bought it. All you have to do is log in then out to get another free upgrade. Used to do that myself. Don't use now but I guess it will still work.

Original Poster

wayners

What's wrong with Google drive. Free unlimited photos however compressed … What's wrong with Google drive. Free unlimited photos however compressed a little but who cares. if you review your Google security every February when prompted you get another 2gig. I have 19gig soon to be 21gig. If you want to backup big files and a lot of them get a network solution. Nas server or drive linked to your network. Mega is ok but what happens if it gets switched off or you files get hacked. If that's not a worry to you and you can cope with slow access speeds then go for it. Not for me.

Never used google drive is it any good? Can i get the same where i take a pic on phone it backs up etc

Yep Mega is good ive been using it for 2 years alongside puny dropbox but 50gb storage for free on mega is a no brainer esp when you can sync all windows pc's laptop, tablets and phones in 1 place

But remember folks backup to external drives or other online storage areas as the only place they will be held locally is in mega is on the pc desktop app (Think this is same for dropbox too)

sme24185

Never used google drive is it any good? Can i get the same where i take a … Never used google drive is it any good? Can i get the same where i take a pic on phone it backs up etc

Look at the google Photos android app (Chances are it's already on your phone) enable autobackup and it will appears in Google drive. Better than the Samsung Gallery app as well.

Im presuming you use google photos? With Dropbox, dont you still get more and more stowage, the more devices you install it on?? Only problem with that though is the expiring. Google drive and photos prob best though. Only used Mega with music downloads though-very quick, but no idea on limits and time uses.

They say backup to 3 locations. 1 of which should be off site.. I backup to Google photos free unlimited. And yes it's good. Microsoft onedrive, as they gave me free 2 year 100gig with my lg g4, no idea why? I then place everything on memory sticks when I can be bothered. Mega got shut down a few years back by the FBI I think? That could happen to any backup site I guess so the 3 location rule I heard of is the safest bet

got 1tb of google drive space for free just gotta fill it up now i prefer to upload photos with out compressing them

mega did not get shut by fbi it was kim dotcoms previous cloud service Megaupload

Edited by: "mattmerch" 13th Jan

Would recommend Mega and with their encryption it's highly unlikely to ever be hacked

The only criticism is don't forget your login/password as without this you'll lose everything on Mega

Luckily I use their Chrome extension which makes things easier (for me) and Android App

Ah that's right. Mega upload got shut. He's a case though old Kim dotcom.lol. Goggle drive dose give you the option to upload photos without compression but that will come off your drive allowance of 15gig. The free backup is good enough for me as I used sticks for uncompressed copies on. Plus I would not fill the 15gig anyway. It's videos that are killing storage space.

DeGoo100GB free.

Get 100 GB free secure cloud storage and never lose a file again.We … Get 100 GB free secure cloud storage and never lose a file again.We encrypt all your files using military grade encryption and store multiple copies of each file. It doesn't get more secure than that!Your files are always ready to be recovered at anytime, from anywhere.

wayners

​http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/100gb-free-cloud-storage-with-degoo-2598857

Tell it to the OP not me
    HUKD Info OP

Edited by: "artnada" 13th Jan

Original Poster

Great next question how do i get all the stuff i have on dropbox onto other online clouds

free: google photos, unlimited some compression.
    premium: amazon unlimited £55 a year.

sme24185

Great next question how do i get all the stuff i have on dropbox onto … Great next question how do i get all the stuff i have on dropbox onto other online clouds

Best way is if you have dropbox installed on PC and google drive or whatever also installed. You can just drag and drop. Not quite as easy on a mobile or tablet, you'd have to download and then re-upload I presume.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Which Zelda Game?79
      2. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9533
      3. Cinema 24122
      4. Recommend accurate weighing scales22

See more discussions