alternative to gloss

Found 21st Mar 2017
is there a good alternative to oil based gloss paint? (looking for something that won't yellow and easy to clean/durable as have young kids).

I currently have white gloss skirting/doors (dulux gloss was used about 3 years ago) which has yellowed.
I have read thats the norm with oil based paints due to change in formula around 2010 (due to EU environmental impact rules).

I have painted skirting with dulux primer/undercoat for wood.....and I'm stuck which top coat to go with.
I'm looking for something that won't go yellow in a few years time but would want something hard wearing and easy to clean as have small children (and also easy to apply as I'm not a decorator).

Have read Johnstone Aqua Gloss is good but its hard to apply as dries to quick leaving brush marks visible...also not easy to get hold of.

Any one got any suggestions?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
37 Comments

Try aldi.co.uk/glo…800 . The acrylic is stronger than the non yellowing water based paints. They also do a non yellowing radiator paint as well but it looks more satin than gloss.

I've used this - very happy with it.

toolstation.com/sho…ite

Made by same company that makes Johnstone paints (and also most of the DIY stores own brand paints).

This will be my standard gloss paint now.

If painting on top of old gloss make sure well cleaned and degreased using sugar soap as otherwise the water based paint can flake off from the surface. If on top of a recently painted primer/undercoat then it will be fine.

On other threads the Aqua gloss has been recommended,I was going to try it and you've put me off now X)

dereklogan7

http://www.leylandtrade.com/products/product-detail/fast-drying-gloss.aspx:)

Two of you recommending that one,I haven't used it but the Leyland high gloss one is awful,I used it last year and it's more Yellow now than older gloss paint in the rest of the house

Zinser 123 best paint around

dereklogan7

http://www.leylandtrade.com/products/product-detail/fast-drying-gloss.aspx:)

Does it dry shiny or is it a Matt finish like eggshell ?

I hate all these paint threads,I change my mind about what to use each time I read one X)

Original Poster

thanks for the replies....
i know a gloss finish is shiny and smooth to touch....whats is eggshell and satin finish like?

nero33

Zinser 123 best paint around

It's a primer though?

Van1973

I've used this - very happy with … I've used this - very happy with it.http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p22018?searchstr=leyland%20gloss%20whiteMade by same company that makes Johnstone paints (and also most of the DIY stores own brand paints). This will be my standard gloss paint now.If painting on top of old gloss make sure well cleaned and degreased using sugar soap as otherwise the water based paint can flake off from the surface. If on top of a recently painted primer/undercoat then it will be fine.

I used the same and found it very good.

deb8z

Does it dry shiny or is it a Matt finish like eggshell ?I hate all these … Does it dry shiny or is it a Matt finish like eggshell ?I hate all these paint threads,I change my mind about what to use each time I read one X)

Sorry I can't tell you, I Googled it. Try and hunt through for some reviews from the retailers who stock it.

ran123ran

thanks for the replies....i know a gloss finish is shiny and smooth to … thanks for the replies....i know a gloss finish is shiny and smooth to touch....whats is eggshell and satin finish like?

I didn't like Eggshell,it's really dull,so I guess it depends if you want it shiny or not X)

Satin and Silk are 'mid-sheen' finishes, which means they look like a slightly polished surface and reflect a bit of light. Silk is a finish associated with walls and satin for woodwork. You can wipe silk wall finishes easily which makes them very practical but if you have less-than-perfect walls, all the lumps and bumps may show up a bit more. A satin finish on woodwork helps to hide imperfections and gives colour a softer appearance.

Eggshell has less of a sheen than silk or satin and it does look like the surface of an eggshell (the clue's in the name). It sits somewhere between matt and a silk finish and gives a beautiful classic look to woodwork – and can also be used on walls when you want a heritage style look with a tough finish.

Gloss is a shiny finish designed for woodwork and it reflects lots of light – so is perfect for paler colours. You have to have a great surface to make it look its best, but it is hugely practical and adds a lovely contrast to walls that are painted in a matt.

dereklogan7

Sorry I can't tell you, I Googled it. Try and hunt through for some … Sorry I can't tell you, I Googled it. Try and hunt through for some reviews from the retailers who stock it.

Reviews on the one I used last year are quite good and I thought it was dire X)

Acrylic all the way though..... tought/durable (for when the vacuum cleaner gives them a tap)/non yellowing/in store now cheaper than wimpy water based.
Btw satin looks a bit dull and matt finish is very dull.
Lidl also do a brand called Baufix which is supposed to be good but I have not tried it yet.

deb8z

Reviews on the one I used last year are quite good and I thought it was … Reviews on the one I used last year are quite good and I thought it was dire X)

I like the look of acrylic eggshell. Think I used a Dulux one last time I used it but moved house before it went yellow. I'm needing to decorate now, myself so will watch to see what comes up.

ran123ran

thanks for the replies....i know a gloss finish is shiny and smooth to … thanks for the replies....i know a gloss finish is shiny and smooth to touch....whats is eggshell and satin finish like?

I second the comment on eggshell. I used Johnstones Acrylic Durable Eggshell (Water Based) and think it is too dull. The other problem with water based paints are the brush marks (unless you are a top notch painter). I don't agree with the praise for Zinsser 123. After applying 5 coats over a stain (when one coat is supposed to obliterate it according to the tin) I could still see the stain leaking through. It wasn't any better at covering bare wood than the cheaper stuff.

what about varnish u may have issues as u have used paint underneath if it was bare would varnish and lacquer are nicer as with age they get better aswell

bogglebrain

I second the comment on eggshell. I used Johnstones Acrylic Durable … I second the comment on eggshell. I used Johnstones Acrylic Durable Eggshell (Water Based) and think it is too dull. The other problem with water based paints are the brush marks (unless you are a top notch painter). I don't agree with the praise for Zinsser 123. After applying 5 coats over a stain (when one coat is supposed to obliterate it according to the tin) I could still see the stain leaking through. It wasn't any better at covering bare wood than the cheaper stuff.

I had a Brown mark on a ceiling downstairs from a leak and the Zinsser got rid of it as per the tin and it's never returned but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing wallpaper they continually seeped through.

I emailed Zinsser and they weren't much help as I guess it depends what the stains are and it won't cover everything.

I've got no idea what the marks are but I could see them on the Plaster after removing wallpaper and other than re-plastering I think I'm stuck with them

Original Poster

Just been to johnstone trade centre and picked up leyland waterbased gloss from link above and also johnstone aqua gloss...i asked which if the 2 to go with....they called their technical advice and they said leyland is better

Original Poster

They were selling at £28....they reduced it to £22 as i said screwfux selling for £22.99..
Going to give this paint a go tonight....will post how it goes tomoro.....thanks for all replies

ran123ran

They were selling at £28....they reduced it to £22 as i said screwfux s … They were selling at £28....they reduced it to £22 as i said screwfux selling for £22.99..Going to give this paint a go tonight....will post how it goes tomoro.....thanks for all replies

Please do I'd be really interested,good luck

deb8z

I had a Brown mark on a ceiling downstairs from a leak and the Zinsser … I had a Brown mark on a ceiling downstairs from a leak and the Zinsser got rid of it as per the tin and it's never returned but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing wallpaper they continually seeped through.I emailed Zinsser and they weren't much help as I guess it depends what the stains are and it won't cover everything.I've got no idea what the marks are but I could see them on the Plaster after removing wallpaper and other than re-plastering I think I'm stuck with them

"but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing wallpaper they continually seeped through". Have you checked for a body behind the wall

ran123ran

Just been to johnstone trade centre and picked up leyland waterbased … Just been to johnstone trade centre and picked up leyland waterbased gloss from link above and also johnstone aqua gloss...i asked which if the 2 to go with....they called their technical advice and they said leyland is better

​Bit late to pitch in but the Johnstone's is a little to think for me so I use dulux trade waterbased. Please post how you get on with the layland stuff as I guess it's easier to apply than johnstones tac.. All the waterbased stuff is prone to run a sag a little though. From what I understand the benjamin Moore is the stuff to use. No Undercoat needed. Easier to use. Goes on well. I just can't wait to try it but it's not cheap at around £70.

deb8z

It's a primer though?

Durable as anything though and Ive used it on my doors as a finish. Generally a satin finish is better than gloss.

deb8z

I had a Brown mark on a ceiling downstairs from a leak and the Zinsser … I had a Brown mark on a ceiling downstairs from a leak and the Zinsser got rid of it as per the tin and it's never returned but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing wallpaper they continually seeped through.I emailed Zinsser and they weren't much help as I guess it depends what the stains are and it won't cover everything.I've got no idea what the marks are but I could see them on the Plaster after removing wallpaper and other than re-plastering I think I'm stuck with them

​Use the correct Zinsser. 3 types, 2 oil and 1 waterbased. The 123 is not a stain blocker even though it says on tin. Told that many times at trade shows. Aluminium primer is the best stuff. With block anything but a horrible gray colour. The stains you have could be dead mice. Nicotine or old water stains. Stain blocks don't last forever so old stains can come through, years later when painted again. Drives me nuts when that happens

bogglebrain

"but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing … "but when using it on other marks in a different room after removing wallpaper they continually seeped through". Have you checked for a body behind the wall

It's on the ceiling and a chimney breast so it must be a large body X)

wayners

​Use the correct Zinsser. 3 types, 2 oil and 1 waterbased. The 123 is not … ​Use the correct Zinsser. 3 types, 2 oil and 1 waterbased. The 123 is not a stain blocker even though it says on tin. Told that many times at trade shows. Aluminium primer is the best stuff. With block anything but a horrible gray colour. The stains you have could be dead mice. Nicotine or old water stains. Stain blocks don't last forever so old stains can come through, years later when painted again. Drives me nuts when that happens

I didn't use the 123 I used the B.I.N

deb8z

I didn't use the 123 I used the B.I.N

​Ah. I should not have assumed.. I used b.i.n on a kitchen ceilings and it failed. Won't use that now as I think it's to thin. Don't think it likes oil from cooking. Zinsser Cover stain is better but that needs 2/3 coats but have had that to fail but less often. It's difficult to find the right stuff

deb8z

It's on the ceiling and a chimney breast so it must be a large body X)

Father Christmas?

bogglebrain

Father Christmas?

​Chimney cowl may help.. Common. Gets damp if no heat

Condensation seems to collect there so I don't know if that's caused it.

You're right the B.I.N is so thin it's difficult to work with,runs down your arm lol

Crown Satinwood Oil based. Resilient and doesn't go yellow. I wouldn't touch anything oil based that Dulux has to offer as they don't seem to able to stop from going yellow since the reduction of VOC's they can put in paint now. No way am I putting water based paints on any of my wood again. Just used some in a refurb house for a quick finish and it's as soft as ****. Two weeks later it's still soft. Had a door to trim and run a pencil line down the door and it's cutting into the paint, sharp pencil lol. It's also feels sticky. All new skirtings and architraves so its not like it's reacting. Paint is Dulux. Another thing is because it's so thin it doesn't cover as well and marks are harder to cover. Give me a solvent based paint any time. One coat of undercoat and one of gloss and job done. Did three coats with the "emulsion" paint and still not a decent finish in my opinion. For the record I work for a company which does property maintenance. Guess if we use water or solvent based paints for woodwork.

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 21st Mar 2017

Smartguy1

Crown Satinwood Oil based. Resilient and doesn't go yellow. I wouldn't … Crown Satinwood Oil based. Resilient and doesn't go yellow. I wouldn't touch anything oil based that Dulux has to offer as they don't seem to able to stop from going yellow since the reduction of VOC's they can put in paint now. No way am I putting water based paints on any of my wood again. Just used some in a refurb house for a quick finish and it's as soft as ****. Two weeks later it's still soft. Had a door to trim and run a pencil line down the door and it's cutting into the paint, sharp pencil lol. It's also feels sticky. All new skirtings and architraves so its not like it's reacting. Paint is Dulux. Another thing is because it's so thin it doesn't cover as well and marks are harder to cover. Give me a solvent based paint any time. One coat of undercoat and one of gloss and job done. Did three coats with the "emulsion" paint and still not a decent finish in my opinion. For the record I work for a company which does property maintenance. Guess if we use water or solvent based paints for woodwork.

Why did you use the Dulux at all if you know it's rubbish X)

I have tried the Johnstones aqua and Leyland. The Leyland is awful. Johnstones is excellent and most importantly has stayed brilliant white.

Original Poster

I used the leyland fast drying water based gloss. It was a bit runny when loading brush but easy enough to apply.
I used it to paint skirting and door frames - only did one coat over dulux primer/undercoat and I'm happy with the outcome.
Says on the tin its non yellowing - my main concern now is if its durable and will withstand knocks/bumps from hoover - time will tell!

Original Poster

marty-401

Try … Try https://www.aldi.co.uk/gloss-white-acrylic-paint-1l/p/094629121230800 . The acrylic is stronger than the non yellowing water based paints. They also do a non yellowing radiator paint as well but it looks more satin than gloss.

I was trying to find reviews for this paint & read on a website that this is one of the worst paints as very thin - needed several applications (I think they were nominating it for one of the worst paints or something)

ultimatehandyman.co.uk/for…tml

Edited by: "ran123ran" 22nd Mar 2017

ran123ran

I was trying to find reviews for this paint & read on a website that this … I was trying to find reviews for this paint & read on a website that this is one of the worst paints as very thin - needed several applications (I think they were nominating it for one of the worst paints or something)http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/and-the-award-for-worst-paint-ever-goes-to-t61552.html

But that was one persons opinion of the MATT paint........
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants