Alternative to LG G5?

Found 16th Jul 2016
I am now certainly fed up with the LG G5 phone.

Coming from an LG G4 and was so happy with the picture quality and screen size, I made the unfortunate mistake of going for an LG G5 at launch and it has been an absolute disaster, issues I have had to name a few are.

*GPS absolute rubbish
*Camera no longer save pictures taken, unless picture is taken in app e.g.whatapps.
*Data connection stops working at least 3-4 times a day and requiring switching data on or of or rebooting phone.

I can no longer bear it.

I need to order like right now ad would like to know what other options are available.

5.3" screen upward.

PS:iphone exccluded

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskLGLG G5
17 Comments
moto g4
Galaxy s7 edge. great phone. Or maybe an S6 edge plus, also good.
thanks for the suggestion so far guys
xprria z5 premium or zenfone 3 deluxe (when its launched)
I agree with stoney73.
I have the g4 currently and it's just brilliant. No plans to change. If I was to switch to a new phone then the one plus 3 maybe my first choice. I'm also interested in the nexus 6p.
Please excuse cut and paste from a comment I made about a Nexus 6P vs Samsung Note

Nexus 6P since it can get Android N and dear knows how long after it comes out before Samsung will release it.
6P can be enrolled into the Android N Beta program and the next beta version is due to have Google Daydream included. Other than that never had a Note but have had Samsung Galaxy S6 and I much prefer "naked" android and being able to get the OS updates. Screen is amazing, speakers seriously powerful and great. In general feels great to use, fast. Only one downside no image stabilisation on the camera but can shot 4K video @ 60fps. Charges seriously fast around 45 mins and last me a full day with quite heavy usage, one downside is trying to find someone else with a type c charger/cable if you forgot yours!

Daydream Youtube Demo

Google Daydream website

Some "stuff" about Android N
Argoj

moto g4

I tried to order the dual sim version directly from Motorola but unfortunately its out of stock. I prefer that as I am looking to move over to dual sim as I would rather not carry 2 phones around due to work related travels.

stoney73

Galaxy s7 edge. great phone. Or maybe an S6 edge plus, also good.

Looking to find a good deal on a dual sim option , would prefer the S7 though due to being newer than the s6 Plus, thanks for the suggestion.
waynehardy

xprria z5 premium or zenfone 3 deluxe (when its launched)

Had the Z2 and Z3 and not happy that Sony stuck to the same design, hence what put me off the sony option otherwise brilliant phones.
wayners

I have the g4 currently and it's just brilliant. No plans to change. If I … I have the g4 currently and it's just brilliant. No plans to change. If I was to switch to a new phone then the one plus 3 maybe my first choice. I'm also interested in the nexus 6p.

Am VERY tempted to go back to the LG g4 but dual sim verison due to the screen resolution and Camera resolution, will miss no fingerprint though.

cecilmcroberts

Please excuse cut and paste from a comment I made about a Nexus 6P vs … Please excuse cut and paste from a comment I made about a Nexus 6P vs Samsung NoteNexus 6P since it can get Android N and dear knows how long after it comes out before Samsung will release it. 6P can be enrolled into the Android N Beta program and the next beta version is due to have Google Daydream included. Other than that never had a Note but have had Samsung Galaxy S6 and I much prefer "naked" android and being able to get the OS updates. Screen is amazing, speakers seriously powerful and great. In general feels great to use, fast. Only one downside no image stabilisation on the camera but can shot 4K video @ 60fps. Charges seriously fast around 45 mins and last me a full day with quite heavy usage, one downside is trying to find someone else with a type c charger/cable if you forgot yours! Daydream Youtube DemoGoogle Daydream websiteSome "stuff" about Android N

Many thanks for this also, but lack of expandable storage is what kills the Nexus for me unfortunately other wise great phone, plus I am more interested in a version of Android that works, not really interered in version update as I change device roughly 6-12 months anyway.
I don't want a phone with expandable storage. It's just to annoying when photo apps can't access sd card and having 2 memory locations. Phone works slower to even with a class 10 card. I took my sd card out of my g4. Just far better to have a phone with enough memory built in and with so much free cloud storage who needs a sd card anyway?Just my opinion... Others may think differently. It's about time manufacturers started loading phones with decent memory size built in and not charging a packet for it. Gerrr. Lol
Send it back.
wayners

I don't want a phone with expandable storage. It's just to annoying when … I don't want a phone with expandable storage. It's just to annoying when photo apps can't access sd card and having 2 memory locations. Phone works slower to even with a class 10 card. I took my sd card out of my g4. Just far better to have a phone with enough memory built in and with so much free cloud storage who needs a sd card anyway?Just my opinion... Others may think differently. It's about time manufacturers started loading phones with decent memory size built in and not charging a packet for it. Gerrr. Lol

Totally agree expandable storage is not the way forward. Apple and Nexus phones don't put expandable in for a very big reason and that is not just money. You are taking somewhat control away from the device/os, anyone could "pull" a card out at any time, manufacturers get past this by placing the slots under the battery to ensure the device is switched off before removing the storage. Issues can happen where apps have been moved to storage and the cache is still on internal memory or via-versa etc. With Android Marshmallow you can have "adoptive storage" but as said above the device will then write/read at a speed which the storage can cope with, so since you have combined card with internal as "one storage" it will take that of the lower which will always be the speed of that card. Internal memory will always be faster than any cards in most cases. Once the card is "adopted" it cannot be used in another device anyhow nor read on a pc (when taken out). So really you end up with as wayners has said stuff in two places which some apps cannot access etc. Although the "modular" idea from the LG might be the way forward in allowing you to completely upgrade the internal storage just like an SSD in a PC etc.
cecilmcroberts

Totally agree expandable storage is not the way forward. Apple and Nexus … Totally agree expandable storage is not the way forward. Apple and Nexus phones don't put expandable in for a very big reason and that is not just money. You are taking somewhat control away from the device/os, anyone could "pull" a card out at any time, manufacturers get past this by placing the slots under the battery to ensure the device is switched off before removing the storage. Issues can happen where apps have been moved to storage and the cache is still on internal memory or via-versa etc. With Android Marshmallow you can have "adoptive storage" but as said above the device will then write/read at a speed which the storage can cope with, so since you have combined card with internal as "one storage" it will take that of the lower which will always be the speed of that card. Internal memory will always be faster than any cards in most cases. Once the card is "adopted" it cannot be used in another device anyhow nor read on a pc (when taken out). So really you end up with as wayners has said stuff in two places which some apps cannot access etc. Although the "modular" idea from the LG might be the way forward in allowing you to completely upgrade the internal storage just like an SSD in a PC etc.

​actuallly, expandable is the way forward. Samsung recently showed off its new, faster expandable storage that should suit the adoptable storage much better. May be seen on the Nite 7, almost certainly on the S8.
stoney73

​actuallly, expandable is the way forward. Samsung recently showed off i … ​actuallly, expandable is the way forward. Samsung recently showed off its new, faster expandable storage that should suit the adoptable storage much better. May be seen on the Nite 7, almost certainly on the S8.

Yeah read that. Will be super fast but not cheap to start with.
Why not just return it? It's clearly faulty. My two G5s exhibited none of the faults you mentioned. If it is a faulty unit then any manufacturer can make a phone with these problems, and given that you were happy with the G4 I would be inclined to say stick with the G5 - albeit a replacement one.
misterleoni

Why not just return it? It's clearly faulty. My two G5s exhibited none of … Why not just return it? It's clearly faulty. My two G5s exhibited none of the faults you mentioned. If it is a faulty unit then any manufacturer can make a phone with these problems, and given that you were happy with the G4 I would be inclined to say stick with the G5 - albeit a replacement one.

I have sent it back to LG for repair and currently using an HTC one m8 until I decide
saayinla

I have sent it back to LG for repair and currently using an HTC one m8 … I have sent it back to LG for repair and currently using an HTC one m8 until I decide

I wouldn't write it off. I always like to have an Android (I'm on a 6S as my main phone) and I've tried the S7 and S7 Edge but ended up missing the G5. It's not as sexy but it's fast, solid and has the nice bonus of a removable battery. I missed the G5 sorely when I was on holiday in Cornwall with the S7, since - solid as it was - I really would have made the most of that wide angle camera.
misterleoni

I wouldn't write it off. I always like to have an Android (I'm on a 6S as … I wouldn't write it off. I always like to have an Android (I'm on a 6S as my main phone) and I've tried the S7 and S7 Edge but ended up missing the G5. It's not as sexy but it's fast, solid and has the nice bonus of a removable battery. I missed the G5 sorely when I was on holiday in Cornwall with the S7, since - solid as it was - I really would have made the most of that wide angle camera.

I actually missed the fingerprint reader at the back most, drawing pattern to unlock or tapping the screen to unlock is soooooo so not enjoyable any more since using the G5, So I will probably be going back to the G5 or I might get a dual Sim variant but I am worried if any goes wrong there wouldn't support for it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants