Alternative to nvidia shield

Posted 14th Mar 2019
hi there

I'm trying here to set up for dolby vision and atmos .future proof it somehow for the next 5years+

atm I only have a 4k tv (non atmos or dolby vision) and a 4k pc. I'm looking to get a player and a AV receiver or a soundbar to get the best out of HEVC files that's out there .

not knowing much about players/streamers I'm looking for a good/best way to go towards playing from a Nas over DLNA or LAN.

what are you guys using?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
deleted1447778
As far as android I don't think theres anything better than the shield.

Considering your after Dolby Atmos/Vision you might want to consider an Apple TV 4K, that is if all your viewing is from your NAS, you could use MrMC (Kodi fork) or Infuse Pro
My 4K TV plays every single 4K file I have tried and I just plug in a few big hard drives full of content. I have tried the Shield, but it's already lacking HDR on YouTube, I've tried a pc but they are very hit and miss, some things were working with HDR, others not.
If you bought a soundbar you would never notice the difference between standard Dolby and Atmos.
It would be nice to have the TV connected to a nas or computer which plays the video and then sends to the TV, but it's just another thing which might not work.

I have 5.1.4 sound with the .4 Atmos speakers in my ceiling, through a Denon amp, use an Xbox One X for 4K HDR gaming and the TV handles everything else, Netflix, prime and video files etc.
While there are boxes that will happily play Dolby Vision through the legit streaming apps like Netflix and iTunes I don't think there's a solution yet for playing it from files on your network via the media boxes. They all either fall back to the base HDR10 layer instead or give a weird green tint to the screen.

The only players i've seen that are having success with it are the ones built into the TV's themselves. LG's 2018 OLED's for example can play them properly via their inbuilt player and via the Plex app on the TV (it actually uses the TV's player for the playback) and some people with certain models of Vizio TV's in the US can do it too. I 'think' the (insanely expensive) OPPO 203 can also do it but supposedly it has to be a loose rip in a folder and not in an MP4 for it.

At the moment Dolby Vision for local content is limited to .MP4 container and Dolby Digital+ audio too. Once they can get it working in MKV's things might change.

Seeing as you don't have a HDR TV yet i'd just forget about it for now and come back to it in the future when you do. It's all too much up in the air and fast moving to try and future proof for 5 years. Today's solutions likely won't be the solutions when you eventially get one.

Personally I use a Vero 4K+ for all non DV files and just start up the Plex app on the B8 TV when i want to watch one that has it.
Edited by: "Zooicidal" 14th Mar 2019
Zooicidal14/03/2019 19:15

While there are boxes that will happily play Dolby Vision through the …While there are boxes that will happily play Dolby Vision through the legit streaming apps like Netflix and iTunes I don't think there's a solution yet for playing it from files on your network via the media boxes. They all either fall back to the base HDR10 layer instead or give a weird green tint to the screen.The only players i've seen that are having success with it are the ones built into the TV's themselves. LG's 2018 OLED's for example can play them properly via their inbuilt player and via the Plex app on the TV (it actually uses the TV's player for the playback) and some people with certain models of Vizio TV's in the US can do it too. I 'think' the (insanely expensive) OPPO 203 can also do it but supposedly it has to be a loose rip in a folder and not in an MP4 for it.At the moment Dolby Vision for local content is limited to .MP4 container and Dolby Digital+ audio too. Once they can get it working in MKV's things might change.Seeing as you don't have a HDR TV yet i'd just forget about it for now and come back to it in the future when you do. It's all too much up in the air and fast moving to try and future proof for 5 years. Today's solutions likely won't be the solutions when you eventially get one.Personally I use a Vero 4K+ for all non DV files and just start up the Plex app on the B8 TV when i want to watch one that has it.

I'm ok for HDR. 75q9 has plenty of it

I'm mostly interested in decoding atmos and passing through hevc easily
johnro2 h, 44 m ago

I'm ok for HDR. 75q9 has plenty of itI'm mostly interested in decoding …I'm ok for HDR. 75q9 has plenty of itI'm mostly interested in decoding atmos and passing through hevc easily

Sorry, for some reason I read it as "I only have a 4k tv (non atmos or dolby vision HDR)".

From a pure local network file perspective the Shield and Vero 4K+ are your 2 main choices. They'll both play anything you throw at them and passthrough all the audios to your amp but as the Vero is built from the ground up for OSMC (Kodi) with the hardware choices and constant software development it takes the edge. You just need to look at their support forum, any question or problem and Sam Nazarko along with the other software developers are straight into the threads to help, instead of having to wait for the next Kodi update like you do with the Shield which could be months away they'll often create standalone patches to fix the issues or walk you through editing the lines of code to fix it yourself over SSH. Suggestions almost always get taken on board too if they are worthwhile and end up getting added to OSMC. I don't think there's any other device or software for file playback that has that kind of dev interaction and support.

The place the Shield has the edge is being able to use android apps, the vero is built on Linux so can't use them. If they are important to you then it's the way to go, if not then it's the Vero all the way.

The Apple TV 4K is only an option if you must have iTunes as it has the best quality 4K HDR streaming, better than Netflix or Amazon. It has MrMC which is a fork of Kodi for local file playback but it doesn't do passthrough of audio which means you don't get DTS, TrueHD, Atmos etc, I don't think it even passes through AC3 without converting it.

None of them do Dolby Vision unless it's in a single stream like the Dolby demo vids are, none of the files you yourself make from the bluray or that you download are like that. They all have a separate track inside them for the Dolby Vision metadata, ie inside the the container it has Video Stream #1: which contains all the usual you would get in any video, including HDR10; then Video Stream #2: which contains all the metadata for Dolby Vision. It's that second video stream the players can't do. I'm sure it will change in the future but there's no way of knowing when or what devices will do it.

If you're after Atmos then there's no point in getting a soundbar. For amp it depends on your budget and you also have to take into account speakers. A good starting point is the Denon AVRX2500H, it's £399 at the moment but will drop to £299 or even below by the time this years new models come out in May/June.
Nice one. Thanks for all the info

I was thinking in starting with Sony STRDH790
johnro31 m ago

Nice one. Thanks for all the infoI was thinking in starting with Sony …Nice one. Thanks for all the infoI was thinking in starting with Sony STRDH790

If you are restricted by budget and need it now the 790 is a decent amp but if you're not in a rush the Denon 2500H is all around better, it regularly drops to £350 already (some place have it at that atm, might be able to get richer sounds to price match) and shouldn't be long before it comes down further.
johnro15/03/2019 12:45

What shall I look for? Why would I go denon …What shall I look for? Why would I go denon here?https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x2500h/sony-str-dh790/

Is it the q9fn you have? If so i believe it has eArc and so does the Denon, that alone would be a huge selling point to me as means you can pass HD audio from the TV's apps or anything you have plugged directly into the TV to the amp instead of being limited to Dolby Digital and plain DTS like normal Arc/Optical.

Besides that it's the more powerful amp of the two giving you more choice of speakers that can be driven if you ever decide to go mad and add monsters to it. Has far more features including things like Spotify, Alexa, Apple Airplay, Audyssey setup etc, has wifi connectivity and also far more physical connectivity on the back including 2 HDMI outputs and more HDMI inputs.

One small thing that even if the two amps were exactly the same otherwise that would drive me mad is the Sony doesn't use binding posts for all the speaker wires and instead uses those tiny clamp ones that 2.5mm speaker wire doesn't fit into without trimming half the strands off.
Zooicidal15/03/2019 13:29

Is it the q9fn you have? If so i believe it has eArc and so does the …Is it the q9fn you have? If so i believe it has eArc and so does the Denon, that alone would be a huge selling point to me as means you can pass HD audio from the TV's apps or anything you have plugged directly into the TV to the amp instead of being limited to Dolby Digital and plain DTS like normal Arc/Optical.Besides that it's the more powerful amp of the two giving you more choice of speakers that can be driven if you ever decide to go mad and add monsters to it. Has far more features including things like Spotify, Alexa, Apple Airplay, Audyssey setup etc, has wifi connectivity and also far more physical connectivity on the back including 2 HDMI outputs and more HDMI inputs.One small thing that even if the two amps were exactly the same otherwise that would drive me mad is the Sony doesn't use binding posts for all the speaker wires and instead uses those tiny clamp ones that 2.5mm speaker wire doesn't fit into without trimming half the strands off.

Samsung doesn't do DTS anymore
johnro15/03/2019 13:33

Samsung doesn't do DTS anymore

Ah yeah i'd forgotten about that, crazy move for them to do. Still, you'd get True-HD audio which is what most blurays come with nowadays over eArc from it.
Edited by: "Zooicidal" 15th Mar 2019
Zooicidal15th Mar

Ah yeah i'd forgotten about that, crazy move for them to do. Still, you'd …Ah yeah i'd forgotten about that, crazy move for them to do. Still, you'd get True-HD audio which is what most blurays come with nowadays over eArc from it.

Looks like both don't have eARC

denon.co.uk/uk/…00h
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants