Groups

Alternative to V+ box ?

Hi guys,

Is there any alternative to V+ box for recording TV? We've only the basic TV package from Virgin Media and hence dont want to spend £150 installation + monthly payments for a new V+ box.

12 Comments

If you ring them they will do it for £75

PC (have one available you can dedicate to a telly?) + Linux (free) + MythTV (free) + graphics card with TV-out or a monitor you'll use for telly + DVB-C card (£100) + somehow unscrambling the encrypted streams of the premium channels... even if you are paying for them.

I think the V+ box is easier in the long run. And cheaper on the electricity bills too!

I was on basic package but with XL Broadband (20meg) and basic telephone. Phoned em up a few months back about reducing my bill - Ended up with XL TV, XL Broadband and Telephone for £37 per month.

Got the V+ installed a few weeks back for £75.

I didn't think I'd use the box much, but it's a cracking piece of kit. Recording 2 channels while watching another. Pause / rewind etc.. when watching programs. Even find the picture quality much better than previous cable box.

Only slight grumble, is the noise - There's a slight hum of the hard drive/fans. My old Sky+ makes a similar noise. As I would guess most PVR's - Probably get used to it.

Original Poster

Thanks guys

Thought the price is £150 for installation as mentioned in VM website. After installation @ £75, do you still have to pay monthly subscription ?

no, not on the basic package

Original Poster

LaoTzu;1492649

Thanks LaoTzu

Do I've to ring CS or Sales ?

Call Telesales or Customer Care, both can offer the deal.

Original Poster

LaoTzu;1492649

Looks like there is a £5 charge / month (after £75 for installation) unless on XL TV package

yes you're right, sorry, was looking in the wrong column :-(

Give em a ring - Follow the telephone options for 'Thinking of Leaving Us'

Say your looking to go Sky+ which are offering Sky+ for one off £99 - From £16 for basic TV package, but free 2MB broadband and free evening/weekend telephone (£10 line rental and free caller display). ie. £26 per month

You should be able to get your TV package upgraded to XL for nothing, or even a reduction. Also, you may be able to haggle on your broadband / telephone.

Once your on XL TV package the V+ box is free.

I re-negotiate my package every year - With my current package supposedly fixed for at least 12 months. And without being tied in for another 12 month contract.

Original Poster

W1zz;1492846

Give em a ring - Follow the telephone options for 'Thinking of Leaving … Give em a ring - Follow the telephone options for 'Thinking of Leaving Us'Say your looking to go Sky+ which are offering Sky+ for one off £99 - From £16 for basic TV package, but free 2MB broadband and free evening/weekend telephone (£10 line rental and free caller display). ie. £26 per monthYou should be able to get your TV package upgraded to XL for nothing, or even a reduction. Also, you may be able to haggle on your broadband / telephone.Once your on XL TV package the V+ box is free.I re-negotiate my package every year - With my current package supposedly fixed for at least 12 months. And without being tied in for another 12 month contract.

Thanks w1zz

The problem is that I'm only 1/2 way through the minimum contract period hence the threat of leaving VM wont be taken seriously :roll:

V+ is brill................
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)810
      2. How much would I get for iPhone 6S 64gb rose gold unlocked like new conditi…12
      3. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?58
      4. Free pr subsidised loft insulation -not in benefits11

See more discussions