Alternatives to HUKD?

Found 17th Mar 2016
I posted this at the end of an old thread in the Ask section but it'll get pushed down quickly so I'll copy and paste here.

Anyone got any ideas for a site that's more like the old hukd?

Because HUKD has gone seriously downhill in my opinion. Great deals/freebies either getting kicked off the site or voted cold by insiders, iffy deals promoted by site affiliates, mods posting/voting under multiple accounts. This site might as well be sponsored by Amazon and other major corporations, if it isn't already. I'll keep my eye on replies here before this post gets taken out. Will be surprised if it doesn't. I might even get banned and couldn't care less.
Community Updates
Ask
62 Comments
don't be a splitter, stick around & help to make HUKD great again

MSE is amazing by the way X)
Just wish mse was an app
Banned
How come all the other site suggestions are being deleted?
Original Poster
365pizza

How come all the other site suggestions are being deleted?

Oh yeah? Fancy PMing me them? HUKD is looking rotten these days.
Original Poster
DarkEnergy2012

don't be a splitter, stick around & help to make HUKD great again :pMSE … don't be a splitter, stick around & help to make HUKD great again :pMSE is amazing by the way X)

It wont be. The big money is making for an internet where we all browse the same crap, and HUKD is part of it. The smart thing is to browse smaller websites, but they are harder to find/hear about.
Original Poster
mattinhull

Just wish mse was an app

MSE is the obvious alternative that is not so compromised, yeah. Martin Lewis has his fingers in many pies these days but the forums remain uncompromised and some of the features he's organised, such as the Energy Saving Club, are first class.
deleted1416210
j2theg

MSE is the obvious alternative that is not so compromised, yeah. Martin … MSE is the obvious alternative that is not so compromised, yeah. Martin Lewis has his fingers in many pies these days but the forums remain uncompromised and some of the features he's organised, such as the Energy Saving Club, are first class.

So are you posting this thread to promote other sites and encourage people to go elsewhere, or do you intend on helping hukd get better? Just curious
Original Poster
PrincessJellybean

So are you posting this thread to promote other sites and encourage … So are you posting this thread to promote other sites and encourage people to go elsewhere, or do you intend on helping hukd get better? Just curious

I'd happily sink it. It wont get better.

Just made a tenner on the 1:30 at Cheltenham off a free bet that got to 23 degrees here before it was kicked off the freebies board.
Edited by: "j2theg" 17th Mar 2016
j2theg

MSE is the obvious alternative that is not so compromised, yeah. Martin … MSE is the obvious alternative that is not so compromised, yeah. Martin Lewis has his fingers in many pies these days but the forums remain uncompromised and some of the features he's organised, such as the Energy Saving Club, are first class.

Really? I find it spammy, often e-mails me when there is no saving or a minus saving to be had. I wondered how much he was making from it.
j2theg

I'd happily sink it. It wont get better.Just made a tenner on the 1:30 at … I'd happily sink it. It wont get better.Just made a tenner on the 1:30 at Cheltenham off a free bet that got to 23 degrees here before it was kicked off the freebies board.

Any tips for gold cup at 3.30 ? what free bet as well ? cheers
Edited by: "Daytrader" 17th Mar 2016
deleted1416210
j2theg

I'd happily sink it. It wont get better.

Well as long as you remember that it is members posting deals and supporting each other that makes this site.
The site isn't flawless, I agree, but then nothing in life is. So some deals are clearly promoted more than others, but the other deals are still there for you to view.
You make it sound like there are loads of great deals out there that are not getting posted, so where exactly are they????? and why are you not posting them if they are so great?
The reason why a lot of the deals are coming from a lot of the same companies is due to the nature of shopping today, the big deals are most often coming from the big stores, which then often price match each other.
I can honestly tell you I have never had a deal pulled (apart from duplicates) and for the most part I believe the temperature of the deals I have posted has been a fair reflection of their worth.
I don't feel compromised by the 'system'.
I feel a bigger flaw within the hukd site is negativity coming from within the member community; as far as I know the majority of deal posters do it for free, to help others find a deal, and have a bit of a chat and laugh along the way. They receive nothing except the thanks and appreciation of others.
I firmly believe that this site would improve if people explained why they voted a deal negative (in a polite and constructive manner), that way we could understand better what makes a good deal and so improve the quality of the deals.
The site would also improve if people would stop being so negative and nasty towards each other, and supported each other a little more. Life can be hard enough without random people being abusive to each other.
I also believe the site would improve if certain members took their negative energy and expended it within the realms of finding good deals, I find a lot of the most 'vocal' members of the site are the ones contributing the least to it.
Deal hunting takes time, and requires a lot of eyes out there looking.
As for your gambling freebie, I'm not sure the reasoning for it being pulled, but I would imagine that a lot of these types of 'freebies' are nothing more than 'advertising' hooks for the betting companies involved.
As for MSE I 'personally' find it a very messy looking website, and find hukd a much more user friendly layout.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliations to any website or companies, I talk my own opinions which are randomly dispersed in lashings of waffle. I try to post deals I think will appeal to other people but I know nothing about tech, and I live near no shops so I will clearly be biased towards online shopping, cute things, random things with flashy lights... and things I like it general X)
Original Poster
Daytrader

Any tips for gold cup at 3.30 ? what free bet as well ? cheers

Stanjames.com/mirror

No tips here! Just in it for the free bet.
Original Poster
Fair enough PJ. I just don't like the clear corporate interest here, and have always felt a moral right not to get obsessed about posting deals. I think I've helped out in the comments every now and again.
I love this site, but I have to admit there is a lack of good stuff these days but this is for so many reasons. Some of which is member related, how many people vote cold on a deal because they just don't like it not because its a bad deal, that puts people of posting other stuff. I had deals removed because I apparently worked for the company and was self promoting, I did not of course. Tried to explain this and was ignored.

So many more reasons as well of course...as for other sites I don't know any so would not mind knowing some myself.

Oh and as for the Amazon sponsor, I agree. I have seen a few things advertised as deals through the HUKD Facebook for amazon that are much cheaper in loads of other places.
Iv often wondered about Amazon deals been posted when sometimes cheaper elsewhere but what really gets my goat is Amazon prime deals been posted mostly only a couple of quid cheaper but you got to pay loads for a prime account unless you are a so called student. Any way no point in any more negativity this post has enough of that all ready.
Said it before and i will say it again, people that want to leave cold votes, should be made to comment with a reason, this is a big downfall for hotukdeals.
Original Poster
Daytrader

Said it before and i will say it again, people that want to leave cold … Said it before and i will say it again, people that want to leave cold votes, should be made to comment with a reason, this is a big downfall for hotukdeals.

Had never thought about it before but actually the cold button is completely pointless. It just serves to increase the mass-market presence on the site. Why, for instance, all the men's footwear posts seem to be for adidas or nike or vans, which I have never worn in my life.

Just the hot button would work fine if the hotness threshold were raised. To vote cold you'd simply not vote hot.
Daytrader

Said it before and i will say it again, people that want to leave cold … Said it before and i will say it again, people that want to leave cold votes, should be made to comment with a reason, this is a big downfall for hotukdeals.

Only if those voting positively are also required to justify their vote

[ hotukdeals.com/fee…887 ]
j2theg

Why, for instance, all the men's footwear posts seem to be for adidas or … Why, for instance, all the men's footwear posts seem to be for adidas or nike or vans, which I have never worn in my life..

Because a lot of other people do wear them?
j2theg

Had never thought about it before but actually the cold button is … Had never thought about it before but actually the cold button is completely pointless. It just serves to increase the mass-market presence on the site. Why, for instance, all the men's footwear posts seem to be for adidas or nike or vans, which I have never worn in my life.Just the hot button would work fine if the hotness threshold were raised. To vote cold you'd simply not vote hot.

Using the same logic, you could remove the "up" vote option, & just leave the ability to vote "down".

However, neither the absence of voting, or the lack of voting "hot", are not necessarily the inverse of voting "cold".
Original Poster
fanpages

Using the same logic, you could remove the "up" vote option, & just leave … Using the same logic, you could remove the "up" vote option, & just leave the ability to vote "down".However, neither the absence of voting, or the lack of voting "hot", are not necessarily the inverse of voting "cold".

This could be true. But I'd guess voting cold is more motivated by personal prejudice than voting hot. And the point still stands that only one button is needed. It would amuse me if this were just a "cold" button but the idea is pretty ridiculous.
Original Poster
ddotp

Because a lot of other people do wear them?

Not my point. Each to their own. My point is that mass-market products are pushing out everything else. I'm talking hyper-mass-market products like Adidas sold on Amazon. I'm not talking about niche interest artisan products sold on sites like etsy being pushed out either. That would clearly be ridiculous.

I do however take a dim view of the majority of people wearing the same shoes simply because, in my opinion, everybody else does, and by doing so they feel the Nike swoosh, for example, is a tick of personal merit that confers superiority. Then the sites like this that sell them the deals capitalise on corporate back-handers in order to push more of the same. I don't want to live in a world run by Adidas: youtube.com/wat…MT0

But by all means you carry on. I'll fight for your right to wear this crap, I just don't like it and probably wouldn't like your company in real life.
The problem with forcing people to comment is that you may never have the time in a day to read through them. If even a fraction of the registered members voted, and they were all forced to comment, you'd just discourage voting in the first place (because they can't be bothered to comment), or be swamped with thousands of comments for every deal posted, making comments pointless, as nobody would have the time to read them.
j2theg

Not my point. Each to their own. My point is that mass-market products … Not my point. Each to their own. My point is that mass-market products are pushing out everything else. I'm talking hyper-mass-market products like Adidas sold on Amazon. I'm not talking about niche interest artisan products sold on sites like etsy being pushed out either. That would clearly be ridiculous.I do however take a dim view of the majority of people wearing the same shoes simply because, in my opinion, everybody else does, and by doing so they feel the Nike swoosh, for example, is a tick of personal merit that confers superiority. Then the sites like this that sell them the deals capitalise on corporate back-handers in order to push more of the same. I don't want to live in a world run by Adidas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuJGChS9MT0But by all means you carry on. I'll fight for your right to wear this crap, I just don't like it and probably wouldn't like your company in real life.

Get off your high horse before judging what type of person I am foo'

FYI... Me naah care about the size (of a Swoosh), it's the motion of the ocean. But seriously, Air Max are consistently the comfiest footwear I ever get.
So I take it from this thread either the only other alternative is MSE or there are no other sites or posts have been deleted. I for one wouldn't mind finding alternative sites recommended by other users.
j2theg

...But by all means you carry on. I'll fight for your right to wear this … ...But by all means you carry on. I'll fight for your right to wear this crap, I just don't like it and probably wouldn't like your company in real life.

Imagine if world peace could be achieved simply by making sure we all used your chosen brand of footwear.
123thisisme

So I take it from this thread either the only other alternative is MSE or … So I take it from this thread either the only other alternative is MSE or there are no other sites or posts have been deleted. I for one wouldn't mind finding alternative sites recommended by other users.

Have you considered using a World Wide Web search engine?

I believe they can be useful for this kind of request.
fanpages

Have you considered using a World Wide Web search engine?I believe they … Have you considered using a World Wide Web search engine?I believe they can be useful for this kind of request.

Gosh you don't say, well I never, who'd of thought that eh?
Oh yeah my 2 cents,...

I have no love for big corporations. But you cannot generalise those who buy into brands/products as there are many reasons why an individual might think they are making the best decision.

Yes I bought into the Nike brand as a teen, but that is not why I still spend the money. I now buy what I can afford. If I see a pair on sale that I know I couldn't afford to spend £100 on for less than £50, you could make a judgement on me because £100 shoes that cost £10 to make and ship are not worth it. Maybe. But I didn't pay full RRP, and I cannot get them for £10.

It's nice to see you spreading the word on some of the more niche, oh so individual deals you find. What?
Original Poster
fanpages

Imagine if world peace could be achieved simply by making sure we all … Imagine if world peace could be achieved simply by making sure we all used your chosen brand of footwear.

Nooooooooo. Just wear something.. different? It's really only my personal thing but it bugs me when just about everyone alive today with choices in what to wear chooses exactly the same thing. If you pair it with tracksuit trousers while out and about I'd definitely avoid you.
123thisisme

Nobody'd of thought that.

Some people might have thought it though.
Original Poster
ddotp

Get off your high horse before judging what type of person I am … Get off your high horse before judging what type of person I am foo'FYI... Me naah care about the size (of a Swoosh), it's the motion of the ocean. But seriously, Air Max are consistently the comfiest footwear I ever get.

They do look cool. But Nikes are everywhere. OK everyone, maybe I shouldn't be so bothered. And yes there are sound cultural messages you might want to send out - see Run DMC etc. But EVERYONE wears this ****. Where's the imagination?
j2theg

They do look cool. But Nikes are everywhere. OK everyone, maybe I … They do look cool. But Nikes are everywhere. OK everyone, maybe I shouldn't be so bothered. And yes there are sound cultural messages you might want to send out - see Run DMC etc. But EVERYONE wears this ****. Where's the imagination?

Aha, I see. So you do appreciate, just do not like it EVERYWHERE, on EVERYONE?
Maybe I shouldn't be so bothered about you being bothered?
Original Poster
ddotp

Oh yeah my 2 cents,... I have no love for big corporations. But you … Oh yeah my 2 cents,... I have no love for big corporations. But you cannot generalise those who buy into brands/products as there are many reasons why an individual might think they are making the best decision. Yes I bought into the Nike brand as a teen, but that is not why I still spend the money. I now buy what I can afford. If I see a pair on sale that I know I couldn't afford to spend £100 on for less than £50, you could make a judgement on me because £100 shoes that cost £10 to make and ship are not worth it. Maybe. But I didn't pay full RRP, and I cannot get them for £10.It's nice to see you spreading the word on some of the more niche, oh so individual deals you find. What?

Common argument here. Imply superiority because the other person does not post deals. I feel no obligation to do this. Never have done. The world will keep turning. Now you are trying to police my free time, which for all you know might be spent as Super-j2theg, fighting wars, crime and corruption tirelessly in a lycra suit. It isn't, but y'know.
Original Poster
ddotp

Aha, I see. So you do appreciate, just do not like it EVERYWHERE, on … Aha, I see. So you do appreciate, just do not like it EVERYWHERE, on EVERYONE?Maybe I shouldn't be so bothered about you being bothered?

I'm amused at how this argument is panning out. We both look totally autistic here (I do not have that diagnosis for the record). And I've completely lost whatever point you were trying to make, and the original point of this thread has been lost. I find certain clothing boring and even offensive. Others don't. I'm not sure I care any more.
123thisisme

So I take it from this thread either the only other alternative is MSE … So I take it from this thread either the only other alternative is MSE or there are no other sites or posts have been deleted. I for one wouldn't mind finding alternative sites recommended by other users.

fanpages

Have you considered using a World Wide Web search engine?I believe they … Have you considered using a World Wide Web search engine?I believe they can be useful for this kind of request.

123thisisme

You, it seems.

How did you find this site?
Original Poster
Quietus

The problem with forcing people to comment is that you may never have the … The problem with forcing people to comment is that you may never have the time in a day to read through them. If even a fraction of the registered members voted, and they were all forced to comment, you'd just discourage voting in the first place (because they can't be bothered to comment), or be swamped with thousands of comments for every deal posted, making comments pointless, as nobody would have the time to read them.

If you're anything to do with the website The Quietus then it's funny that my first foray into a message board argument in over a year has shades of that website and Playlouder. If you're not, disregard, this thread has gone insane enough.
Imagine the miasma of negativity we'd have to suffer if every cold voter was forced to leave a comment. It would become the most depressing site on the internet. HotCutYourWrists.com
Banned

If the website I listed above gets censored then you know why.
Original Poster
Rubisco

Imagine the miasma of negativity we'd have to suffer if every cold voter … Imagine the miasma of negativity we'd have to suffer if every cold voter was forced to leave a comment. It would become the most depressing site on the internet. HotCutYourWrists.com

Agreed. Hope no-one thought I was arguing for that. I just wanted to see what other sites like this were out there. Maybe something like HUKD in its infancy with no corporate affiliation. Absolutely no-one has come up with any links. That should be the point of interest here.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions