Alternatives to nationwide flexplus after changes

Posted 21st Aug 2019
I've just received an email from Nationwide who are chanign the flexplus benefits for the worse and wondering if there are any accounts worth considering.

They will remove the interest on credit (which was giving roughly £6 a month on a £2.5k limit) they are increasing the cost of claiming on phone insurance (£50->£75 for apple and £25->£50 others)

So now the monthly price is £13 not £13-£6 but it's probably still good value as you do get family phone insurance, world wide travel insurance and breakdown cover.

What do you think?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
If you have a family worldwide travel insurance, personal breakdown cover, phone cover then it’s hard to beat, we have our main account else where and use the account just for those benefits. You can have an account elsewhere and some still have 5% on the savings as well.

Just noticed the increase in excess, if anything else is changing may need to look at it again.
Edited by: "eslick" 21st Aug 2019
Interesting - I've not seen this email yet and need to make a mobile claim - any idea when this takes effect? (I assume 30 days)
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 22nd Aug 2019
Takes effect 1 November 2019 . I’m really annoyed with the increase from 50 to 75 for claims , I have never claimed but the mobile cover was the main reason for me taking out this account
pabz22/08/2019 09:31

Takes effect 1 November 2019 . I’m really annoyed with the increase from 5 …Takes effect 1 November 2019 . I’m really annoyed with the increase from 50 to 75 for claims , I have never claimed but the mobile cover was the main reason for me taking out this account

Thanks, is a shame - I've never used any of the benefits (apart from the interest) yet - but have a mobile in the house that needs a new screen. The loss of interest sucks too.

Interestingly the website mentions the change to interest rate, but nothing on the change of excess yet.
According to Martin Lewis Nationwide ,even after the changes is still a good deal.
moneysavingexpert.com/ban…ts/
Shame they are cutting the 3% interest, but still the best packaged account. No minimum payments or direct debits, no fees to use it abroad, no need to renew insurances every year.
After changes Halifax ultimate account will be much better and if u meet terms u will get £5 as well
shishiragarwal22/09/2019 06:36

After changes Halifax ultimate account will be much better and if u meet …After changes Halifax ultimate account will be much better and if u meet terms u will get £5 as well

looks worse to me, £17 - £5 = £12, nationwide is £13. but halifax only gives uk breakdown (not europe) only your phone insured (not the whole family) Just shows how great it was when it was only costing ~£7 a month
IamChris22/09/2019 12:26

looks worse to me, £17 - £5 = £12, nationwide is £13. but halifax only giv …looks worse to me, £17 - £5 = £12, nationwide is £13. but halifax only gives uk breakdown (not europe) only your phone insured (not the whole family) Just shows how great it was when it was only costing ~£7 a month

Breakdown is with AA, much better than bonkers of NW. joint account will cover 2 phones
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants