Alternatives to Sky TV?

Posted 1st Dec
I pay around £30 for Sky. I only use Sky for news, history and documentary channels. I have the old sky box that allows me to use magic eye so I can watch and change the channels for 3 different rooms.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Now tv entertainment might be good for you. Think you can get 6 months for 30 at Argos. You can download sky news app free and it has a few live channels. Such as discovery and wild.
Now tv is the next best thing. Sign up for free trial then cancel straight away and they usually offer a cheaper deal to keep you as a customer. I think it’s 8.99 a month but I’m always on a deal for at least half of that
Get a nowtv stick for each room. That's what I did. Perfect picture and loads cheaper than sky. You only need 1 account for all 3 sticks.
Take your card out and see what you are left with, might suffice!
Netflix
Amazon prime
STICK WITH WHAT YOU GOT!
What ur paying is good for Sky... So many people end up with their package price cranked up to whetever they can get away with... £30 is awesome.

The only thing I'd do (which I have done - But you should probably not just *do*) is ditch the TV licence entirely by having no live-TV at all... It's important to understand this move... It means you can only have non-live and non-BBC video viewing...

READ the rules on the BBC website... Youtube is OK (how could they require TV-licence for Youtube?) Netflix is also OK... You can stream from web-versions of C4, ITV, C5 etc... You just can't watch 'live TV' on them... You cannot (MUST not) use BBC iPlayer *at all*... (Radio is OK so they made a new App called 'BBC Sounds' for that, to save confusion).

And, since Sky is 'Live TV', you can't use that either.

Honestly, if £30 per month gets you what you want/need, add Netflix and see if you could do without the 'Live TV' entirely.

Note: Live TV includes recording from live tv.

I'm much happier now I know the rules and don't pay more than I need to!
Edited by: "wide" 2nd Dec
If you have digital TV hookups in most rooms look on ebay or locally for the NowTV boxes that take a freeview input.

You get all freeview channels and then NowTV which appear in the same guide and make watching seamless. Worth taking out boost for an extra £3 for 1080p and 5.1 surround and 3 streams at once.

We have this box and it works well.

Another option is to get a HDHomerun in one room and then use an old cheap PC or the homerun app in rooms around the house.
Edited by: "Personator1234" 2nd Dec
Personator123402/12/2019 09:45

If you have digital TV hookups in most rooms look on ebay or locally for …If you have digital TV hookups in most rooms look on ebay or locally for the NowTV boxes that take a freeview input.You get all freeview channels and then NowTV which appear in the same guide and make watching seamless. Worth taking out boost for an extra £3 for 1080p and 5.1 surround and 3 streams at once.We have this box and it works well.Another option is to get a HDHomerun in one room and then use an old cheap PC or the homerun app in rooms around the house.

I've been looking into NowTV and it doesn't really offer a lot of discovery or history channels (it's the only channels my dad will watch)

HDHomerun looks pretty cool!

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can only want freeview channels using HDHomerun? With the Sky magic eye being discontinued, could I hook up HDHomerun to my sky box somehow and view my sky channels this way?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants