Expired

Alternatives to the Lenovo X220 ultraportable?

Found 8th Mar 2013
I need a tough, reliable, powerful mini-laptop...one that will endure the jolts associated with cycle touring. I have so far found the Lenovo X series (201/220/230).
The 220 seems like the best bet, as it is 'mil-spec' - and has been tested to withstand dust, shocks etc.
The X121e also seems like a good bet (though it is only a lower power i3 laptop)

I will more than likely go for a Lenovo ... however, since I am always hunting for a bargain, is there any other model of laptop that will suit my needs.
Max screen size of 12.5"
V.tough
Good battery life
i5 preferable...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskLenovo
11 Comments
Banned
HP Elitebook 2560, but X220 is probably still better.
Any reason you require so much power? What sort of budget are you looking at?
deleted494932Original Poster
BA11

HP Elitebook 2560, but X220 is probably still better.

Oh, I should have said that I have a real aversion to all things HP! I had 3 Probook 4330s laptops (all faulty in one way or another). From what I hear, Lenovo X series laptops are one of the few manufacturers left that offer truly excellent reliability and build quality.
Currently looking at Toshiba's range...
Astec123

Any reason you require so much power? What sort of budget are you looking … Any reason you require so much power? What sort of budget are you looking at?

I have a budget of around £250 -- upto £325 for the right machine (obviously I'm going down the second hand machine route....the beauty of Lenovo laptops being that most of them have 3 year extended warranties)
I've seen a few X220's on Ebay selling for around £325...and a few on Gumtree for around the £300 mark. I'll more than likely go for one of them as I haven't found any other comparable laptops. If I could find something suitable around the £250 mark, that'd be ideal...as it then hits a price point that would allow me to replace it should it get damaged/nicked.

Oh, and I need the horsepower because I intend on editing videos every month or so (NEX 5N camera, full HD AVCHD videos).
From what I have gathered, i5 will offer a fairly good experience when it comes to rendering such videos. I would happily consider an i3 if I thought it offered a good amount of power...
I'd go for the x220 all things considered. I've been considering an x121e myself and discounted it as it's not nearly as tough as it's more expensive alternatives such as the the x220, plus it doesnt offer the ultrabase option.

notebookcheck.net/Rev…tml
Astec123

I'd go for the x220 all things considered. I've been considering an x121e … I'd go for the x220 all things considered. I've been considering an x121e myself and discounted it as it's not nearly as tough as it's more expensive alternatives such as the the x220, plus it doesnt offer the ultrabase option.http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X121e-NWS5QGE-Subnotebook.61149.0.html

That's basically what I've decided. I'm just surprised that no other manufacturer's offer anything as comparably tough.
I guess form often takes precedence over function (Apple ensured that).
I shall renew my X220 search then :-).
Cheers for the various comments, and for backing up my thoughts on what was the most suitable laptop for my needs.
The only other real alternative in terms of toughness in my experience is the entirely ugly Panasonic Toughbooks but you wouldn't get nearly as much power for the budget, Not much else comes close to IBM/Lenovo when it comes to being built to be a workhorse on the road. The X series is probably the best compromise in terms of toughness, features, size and battery life.

My only other thought would be to suggest that you have a look at some of the cloud video edition options available and see if you really need to spend as much if a cloud option could work out cheaper and suit your needs for you.
Edited by: "Astec123" 8th Mar 2013
Astec123

The only other real alternative in terms of toughness in my experience is … The only other real alternative in terms of toughness in my experience is the entirely ugly Panasonic Toughbooks but you wouldn't get nearly as much power for the budget, Not much else comes close to IBM/Lenovo when it comes to being built to be a workhorse on the road. The X series is probably the best compromise in terms of toughness, features, size and battery life.

Here's a question, which I haven't yet found an answer for. The X201 looks v.similar to the X220 - but has the i5-520m processor in it...(first gen i5?). I'm guessing X201's are going to be available for considerably less....so is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd gen i5's?
Thanks for your various answers - much appreciated
Astec123

My only other thought would be to suggest that you have a look at some of … My only other thought would be to suggest that you have a look at some of the cloud video edition options available and see if you really need to spend as much if a cloud option could work out cheaper and suit your needs for you.

Even if I were staying in the UK, I don't think I'd ever go for a cloud video editing solution - simply because I never find broadband to be quick enough to upload the videos in the first place!
What makes cloud editing a definite no-no is that I am cycle touring in Africa...where broadband is almost non-existant (aside from in built up areas - hence the once a month vid' edits). That also explains why I need good battery life & durability.
So I'm now thinking that the Lenovo X series is the best bet for sure...the X201 is v.tempting given how reasonably priced they are. Since the videos are likely to be no more than 5-10 minutes long, the X201 looks like it should get the job done reasonably efficiently.
Depends on the specific processor equiped really. The best resource to get a good idea of how laptop processors and graphics cards compare I've listed below (and I highly recommend bookmarking this for future reference as it's regularly updated).

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Obviously if the first one you look at is ranked say 65 and the next is ranked 66 then there is little or nothing in it but if they are quite a way apart then it will make a big difference.

Personally if you have the budget I'd go for the X220 any day as it will have more life in the warranty and the price difference is not all that much different from when I've been comparing. Unlike your needs I'm just looking for ultraportability for office programs and web browsing, so therefore partly considering just spending under £100 for an X61, as I have a home server and a powerful Dell XPS to do any video/photo editing I may want. Once you start heading up the line to newer models the prices seem to plateau until you come to models in the last couple of years.

Edited by: "Astec123" 8th Mar 2013
Astec123

Depends on the specific processor equiped really. The best resource to … Depends on the specific processor equiped really. The best resource to get a good idea of how laptop processors and graphics cards compare I've listed below (and I highly recommend bookmarking this for future reference as it's regularly updated).http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.htmlhttp://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.htmlObviously if the first one you look at is ranked say 65 and the next is ranked 66 then there is little or nothing in it but if they are quite a way apart then it will make a big difference.Personally if you have the budget I'd go for the X220 any day as it will have more life in the warranty and the price difference is not all that much different from when I've been comparing. Unlike your needs I'm just looking for ultraportability for office programs and web browsing, so therefore partly considering just spending under £100 for an X61. Once you start heading up the line to newer models the prices seem to plateau until you come to models in the last couple of years.

I appreciate your input - if only to confirm my own thoughts. The X220 sounds like the best balance, all things considered.
Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions