Groups

Am considering buying a rooted phone?

Am considering buying a rooted phone?

It is a samsung model has been rooted and the knox counter has been tripped.

It is already out of warranty.

Is it worth buying it over a non rooted phone.

I am familiar with overclocking for cpus that it decreases the lifetime of it - is this a similar case here?

Thanks.

16 Comments

depends what you need a rooted phone for, I was just a general use and flashed it back to factory and felt no real difference

I always root, mostly to use a adblocker and because I can.

you could just as easily buy a non-rooted phone, which without your knowledge had been rooted for most of its life (in most cases the process is reversible).The non-rooted second hand phone could have been looked after far less than this one, who knows...

You have already pointed out the CPU could have been overworked, but to be honest due to heat on such a small device they switch off if clocked too high so you should be ok. Make sure you check all the CPU and kernal settings when you get the phone if worried.

depends on the price and the model. you could get something with better specs for new.

rooting will not decrease the life span of the phone unless you over clock the CPU which is an option on rooted devices. look up the device on XDA developers find some root guides and how to flash ROM guides on there. also check out available ROMs for your specific model. some older phones are unusable on later versions of android if they didn't get official lollipop.

I only root older devices now for newer versions of android once official support is ended for monthly security patches. adblock is fantastic but a good browser such as brave on a non rooted phone is good enough for me. I generally buy apps on offer or free ones without ads. it's my personal preference you might feel different.

Original Poster

thanks for the advice guys.

phone is a s6 edge - (though in good condition)
    Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 10th Jun

Remember that you won't be able use any bank app, as they don't work on phones with a root.

FYI you can't use banking apps and certain other apps on a rooted device. Android Pay I think is one as well as some official media streaming apps (Sky Go I know for sure)
    Edited by: "jco83" 10th Jun

I know the EE app won't work on rooted phones. I have a 4 1/2 year old Note 2 that was rooted pretty much as soon as I got it and it still serves me well.

Doesn't matter too much if it's ready out of warranty. Yes you can overclock phones but it's not done too often due to heat and battery life.

I don't think being rooted matters as if you don't reflash and full wipe it completely you're mental as the seller could have preloaded malware or a virus as a system app (with root) and it would survive a factory reset. Only way to full clean is reflash. Samsung are easy to reload the stock software and wipe with odin, won't take long and you'd know you're safe then. I'd you do want root you can just do it yourself after (again, easy).

I wouldn't buy a pre rooted phone as you don't know how it has been tampered with. How well do you the seller ?
    Edited by: "kester76" 10th Jun

Original Poster

kester76

I wouldn't buy a pre rooted phone as you don't know how it has been … I wouldn't buy a pre rooted phone as you don't know how it has been tampered with. How well do you the seller ?

was an amazon seller - (an actual company ) - probabily going to end up sending it back. I am familiar with how to flash stock firmware onto them but don't want to risk it. Could end up making it worse.

Admast79

Remember that you won't be able use any bank app, as they don't work on … Remember that you won't be able use any bank app, as they don't work on phones with a root.

Not correct, some bank apps will work on rooted it depends how the app checks your phone's security.
    On a rooted phone I use, only one bank app out of many won't run.
    Sky q doesn't like rooted phones either.

patcho

I always root, mostly to use a adblocker and because I can.

​Try Brave browser next time if add blocking is all you want a rooted phone for. Spread the word to.

Admast79

Remember that you won't be able use any bank app, as they don't work on … Remember that you won't be able use any bank app, as they don't work on phones with a root.

Very true. Some other security tight apps also won't work on rooted devices.

Rooting isn't very hard to do. Get a non-rooted device and have yourself some discovery time and learn something new :-)

Worth noting that Android pay may or may not work so if your looking to use Android Pay then this might be a deal breaker

Netflix recently stopped support on rooted or non-rooted devices with uncertified Google play services installed. if you already have Netflix installed you just don't get updates anymore.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup35
      2. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV23
      3. buy to let mortgage44
      4. mobile phone advice needed please22

See more discussions