Am I classed a being self employed or employed through my limited company

Found 8th Mar
Am I classed as an Employee or Self Employed if I own my own Limited Company?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
If you have a Ltd Co, you are quite possibly a Director? And therefore able to take Dividends and recharge expenses.

There are more questions to answer but very probably Employed. With no sick, training, holiday, unfair dismissal, discrimination etc rights despite the Tories wanting to tax you under PAYE
depends on whether someone is actually employing you and paying you a wage. if you are a contractor, then i would say employed, but if you ran your own business then i would say self employed.

i don't think there is a clear definition. depends on the context that you are being asked. where are you being asked this question?
Its hard to answer .
We work under a CIS/UTR number .
We have worked for the same company for 2 years . Am a joiner .
But I do a tax return every year and claim for all tools and van ect ect and always end up with £4500 back meaning only pay around £3000 tax on £40K annual earnings .
So I class myself as self employed and not employed even though I work for the same company.
I would say employee but I don’t know anything.
yozzman123441 m ago

Its hard to answer . We work under a CIS/UTR number . We have worked for …Its hard to answer . We work under a CIS/UTR number . We have worked for the same company for 2 years . Am a joiner . But I do a tax return every year and claim for all tools and van ect ect and always end up with £4500 back meaning only pay around £3000 tax on £40K annual earnings . So I class myself as self employed and not employed even though I work for the same company.

How your engaged by the company (route of payment is irrelevant)!

It’s the employment tests that matter and control for example and these are only a few:

Do you have control over the jobs you do and the right to refuse any you don’t want to do? Yes (self employed) no (employee)

Are you responsible for providing your own tools? Yes (self employed) no (employee)

Are you responsible for the completion of work even if you are ill or unable to carry out the work i.e. do you have to pay for someone to do the work? Yes (self employed) no (employee)

Do you work for more than one person in a tax year? Yes (self employed) no (employee)
Employed
cmdr_elito59 m ago

How your engaged by the company (route of payment is irrelevant)! It’s the …How your engaged by the company (route of payment is irrelevant)! It’s the employment tests that matter and control for example and these are only a few:Do you have control over the jobs you do and the right to refuse any you don’t want to do? Yes (self employed) no (employee)Are you responsible for providing your own tools? Yes (self employed) no (employee)Are you responsible for the completion of work even if you are ill or unable to carry out the work i.e. do you have to pay for someone to do the work? Yes (self employed) no (employee)Do you work for more than one person in a tax year? Yes (self employed) no (employee)

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
To them questions
Employed
All depends how you set the limited company up
I have a limited company and as a Director I take dividends. I do not take a salary and am therefore self employed. Without knowing if you take a salary from the company or dividends it is hard to explain further.

Why don't you ask your accountant for some guidance.
yozzman123420 h, 57 m ago

Yes YesYes No To them questions

Hmmmm. The fact that you don’t work for anyone else could be an indication that you should be considered an employee for tax purposes.
Original Poster
I pay myself a Salary each month and then take out a dividend payment. I guess I am employee of my own limited company.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants