Am I entitled to ask for a copy of the document I sign

Found 18th Dec 2017
Am I within my rights to ask for a copy of any document I sign? Is the other party obliged to give me a copy if I ask for it? Can they deny it?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
What sort of document are you referring to?
Some documents no.. If they contain sensitive information...
as said - depends on the document.

I'm a witness on dozens of wills - I've got no right to a copy of them.

~If a contract - yes.
Original Poster
I am talking about behaviour slips that the school asked me to sign for my daughter.
Can’t see why not - unless another child is specifically named but wouldn’t have thought they would be
Also worth mentioning that GDPR which comes into force in may covers paper documents as well as electronic, it has many new protections for individuals including a right to forget (have everything deleted). You should be able to see any info on your daughter.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito1 h, 4 m ago

Also worth mentioning that GDPR which comes into force in may covers paper …Also worth mentioning that GDPR which comes into force in may covers paper documents as well as electronic, it has many new protections for individuals including a right to forget (have everything deleted). You should be able to see any info on your daughter.

Thats good to know but not sure how the GDPR will apply to schools.... I guess in my case if the school denies the request to give me a copy I can make a formal Subject Access Request?
I'm surprised the school didn't give you a copy when you signed it. I thought the standard for these was a school copy and a parental copy , can't see any reason why they wouldn't give you a copy although being the end of term you might have to wait until January now. My children's schools both had standard forms for every child that had to be signed and both parties got a copy. Even if these are more personalised forms I don't see why the procedure wouldn't be the same . Have they turned down your request ?

Also if you are talking about the standard form that every child is given , there should be a copy on your schools website too.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 19th Dec 2017
nomeames8 h, 4 m ago

Thats good to know but not sure how the GDPR will apply to schools.... I …Thats good to know but not sure how the GDPR will apply to schools.... I guess in my case if the school denies the request to give me a copy I can make a formal Subject Access Request?

Basically you can request it and they have to provide all data they have on record either electronic or paper based.

GDPR applies to everyone who collects personal data aside from a few exceptions such as ONS archives (census stuff), fines for non compliance are huge 20million euros or percentage of revenue.
Teacher here so might be able to give an internal insight.

What is the slip for that you are signing and why do you need a copy?

When it comes to documents the school will usually give you copies of everything you want relating to your child as long as you are the legal guardian.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants