Groups

Am I protected if paying by paypal for a bike privately?

I've bought a bike from someone on ebay who described the bike as in "Great Condition". They said I could make an offer, so I did and it was accepted and I arranged a courier but paid via Paypal. The bike has arrived today covered in rust (not the frame as it's aluminium) and one pedal is missing (I can only assume went missing enroute).

I can't even resell the bike because of this at a low cost. Is there anything I can do to recoup my money without having to go to further expense of buying a new pedal?

Am I covered by Paypal for this even though it didn't finally get sold via ebay as they removed it from sale when I made the offer?

Another very expensive lesson learnt!

15 Comments

If it was bought outside of ebay then I don't think you are covered, someone else should be able to confirm this tho...

"the expense of a new pedal!" FFS buy a new pedal you tight wad

you have the guys address, contact him and demand he take back the bike.

If you paid through paypal as a 'gift' payment then no sorry you are not covered otherwise you can probably make a claim you dont need to buy through ebay to get paypal protection, good luck.

Have you contacted the seller to ask about missing pedal etc ? I would and politley ask for a refund, see what they say and take it from there .

Original Poster

Yes, I've sent an email.

As to the comment about being a tightwad - you're probably right. My son is nearly 5 years old and I felt £130 for a new bike was a lot when he seemed to be between bike sizes and we weren't sure. I've already spent £50 and a new bike pedal for a rusty bike doesn't seem worth it!

I didn't send it as a gift payment, just as a payment I think for an item.

Still not covered.....

Original Poster

Great, £50 down the drain, literally! Hey ho, you live and learn!

fruityloops

Yes, I've sent an email.As to the comment about being a tightwad - you're … Yes, I've sent an email.As to the comment about being a tightwad - you're probably right. My son is nearly 5 years old and I felt £130 for a new bike was a lot when he seemed to be between bike sizes and we weren't sure. I've already spent £50 and a new bike pedal for a rusty bike doesn't seem worth it!I didn't send it as a gift payment, just as a payment I think for an item.

I gather they havent replied yet ? whats there feedback like on Ebay? that will give you an indication of what type of person the seller is and whether they will be helpful or refund .

Original Poster

I've just contacted Paypal and I am completely covered despite not being bought on ebay itself so I have now filed a dispute. Thanks for your replies.

fruityloops

My son is nearly 5 years old and I felt £130 for a new bike was a lot … My son is nearly 5 years old and I felt £130 for a new bike was a lot when he seemed to be between bike sizes and we weren't sure. I've already spent £50 and a new bike pedal for a rusty bike doesn't seem worth it!

Your son will probably grow out of the bike in about a year or so. Try giving it a good clean - you might get some of the rust off (autosol chrome cleaner is very good) then use it for a year or so and promise him a new bike for next time

Sorry fruit loops in replying to your question about the pedals I edited it instead.....

The answer to your question is yes you can buy pedals from Amazo/ebay that will fit (usually under £10). Best bet is to remove the other pedal (be careful as one of the pedals will unscrew clockwise) take it to Halfords compare the thread to other pedals on sale and pick one that might be suitable....

If this is the right thread size these may do (£5.72)
    amazon.co.uk/ETC…8-4

Edited by: "gari189" 17th Mar 2011

Original Poster

Thanks for the advise, I think I'll pop to Halfords as you suggest. It has an aluminium frame but steel on the handlebars I think so I guess rub it down and repaint?

Black steel or chrome handlebars? If its chrome try the autosol rubbing in with a nylon pot scourer - if its black then rub down and paint...

Edited by: "gari189" 17th Mar 2011

Original Poster

I gather they havent replied yet ? whats there feedback like on Ebay? that will give you an indication of what type of person the seller is and whether they will be helpful or refund .[/quote]

They have 100% from 809 Transactions!!!! so I thought I was more than safe. Anyway, will see what happens
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4492100
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?35188
      3. What is there free to do in your town?2442
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2855

See more discussions