Groups

am I right in thinking to sell on fleabay would cost @ £50 on a £250 phone ?!

Hi all :-)

I've just bought the HTC Desire from O2 for £285 so I have my almost new HTC HD2 to dispose off :-) I thought of selling it on here as it's only 2 months old and is immaculate .... and that's what I may do once the Desire arrives (I know I can't list for 7 days now, but new phone won't be here for a few days anyway cos of the bank holiday lol) But I also thought I'd have a look at fleabay and see if it would go for more on there ....but am I right in thinking that by the time I've paid insertion fees, final value fees, and paypal fees then on a sale price of say £250 then these would be approx £50 in total ??!

If that's right then I'll definitely list on here :-) ! Thanks guys !

30 Comments

Banned

not £50, but around £25 - i think

ebay and paypal both put together take around 10%

Banned

yeah 25-30 plus postage

Original Poster

Thanks guys - I was actually including postage "Duh" lol - and as I'll have to pay that wherever I sell, I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been :-) !! Was trying to think of all the costs that I could be hit with, and how much I need to sell it for, as CEX are buying for £219 so to beat that would need to sell for about £250 minimum. On checking completed listings this looks feasible so will see what happens when the Desire arrives :-) !

When will Google Auctions arrive to save us from these thieving *&^%$ twins of Paypal and eBay?

You could always sell it on here :thumbsup:

thedealsealer;8725476

not £50, but around £25 - i thinkebay and paypal both put together take a … not £50, but around £25 - i thinkebay and paypal both put together take around 10%

ebay fees are 10% paypal about 3.4%

ebay fees are 9.9% of the first £49.99 (so £4.95) plus 5.9% of the rest,so on £250 item ebay fees would be £16.75,then paypal fees around £9 so about £26 including your 40p buy it now fee

grabbit;8725758

ebay fees are 9.9% of the first £49.99 (so £4.95) plus 5.9% of the r … ebay fees are 9.9% of the first £49.99 (so £4.95) plus 5.9% of the rest,so on £250 item ebay fees would be £16.75,then paypal fees around £9 so about £26 including your 40p buy it now fee

Final Selling Price [CENTER]Final Value Fee[/CENTER]

£0.01 and above [CENTER]10.0% of the amount of the winning bid, up to a maximum Final Value Fee of £40.00[/CENTER]

Sell it for £250 'buy-it-now' on ebay and you will pay...

0.40 listing fee
    7.17 FVF
    8.70 Paypal fee

£16.27 total

Met-Cast;8725826

Final Selling Price [CENTER]Final Value Fee[/CENTER]£0.01 and above … Final Selling Price [CENTER]Final Value Fee[/CENTER]£0.01 and above [CENTER]10.0% of the amount of the winning bid, up to a maximum Final Value Fee of £40.00[/CENTER]

Yeah,your right for a private seller,I was quoting for a business seller,but as you say OP would be be paying as a private seller

mfc1986;8725862

Sell it for £250 'buy-it-now' on ebay and you will pay...0.40 listing … Sell it for £250 'buy-it-now' on ebay and you will pay...0.40 listing fee7.17 FVF8.70 Paypal fee£16.27 total

Where do you get those values from?

Banned

you are looking at the wrong categories......its no way near that much it will be around 6/7 quid

edit:sorry not all of you

casparwhite;8726048

you are looking at the wrong categories......its no way near that much it … you are looking at the wrong categories......its no way near that much it will be around 6/7 quidedit:sorry not all of you

It doesn't appear to matter which category a private seller is listing a buy it now in apart from a couple of exceptions its does say 10%

10.0% of the amount of the winning bid, up to a maximum Final Value Fee of £40.00-

All categories, excluding eBay Motors vehicles , mobile phones with contracts and property

Banned

grabbit;8726309

It doesn't appear to matter which category a private seller is listing a … It doesn't appear to matter which category a private seller is listing a buy it now in apart from a couple of exceptions its does say 10% 10.0% of the amount of the winning bid, up to a maximum Final Value Fee of £40.00-All categories, excluding eBay Motors vehicles , mobile phones with contracts and property

it does tech stuff is just over 5%

Original Poster

This confusion is why I asked :-) !

I thought ....
    insertion fee £1.30
    final value fee £ 25.00 - as private seller it's 10% from what I could make out on their site
    reserve price fee £5.00
    paypal £8.70

then postage (up to @ £10 depending on service) ..... so that's how I got up to the £50 :-(

Banned

youve had the right answers i think being around £16/17 quidish after paypal fees

Original Poster

sickly sweet;8725581

You could always sell it on here :thumbsup:

Yep probably a FS thread on here next week lol - far less hassle :thumbsup:

casparwhite;8726322

it does tech stuff is just over 5%

It's somewhat confusing,surely that is for business sellers ?

Just remembered a friend sold a mobile phone last month and by sheer coincidence it was a buy it now for £250 so just checked their selling fees in their account and it was...

Apr xxxxxxx Phone,New xxxxxxxxx Insertion Fee £0.40

May xxxxxxxxxxxx Mobile Phone,New xxxxx Final Value Fee £7.16
    xxxxxxx Final price: £249.99 (Buy It Now)

xxxx'd some bits out showing full auction details

So thats for definate the FVF,they are a private seller £7.16 plus 40p listing

Will check now and see what their paypal fees were

They received a total of £256.99,£7 was for postage,fees taken by paypal were £8.94

So total fees for selling a £250 phone would be £16.50 for a private seller

Sold loads of phones 'buyitnow' on ebay and total fees (with paypal) are always around 7%.
    Recent example...

Phone sold 'buyitnow' at £239 + £6.50 rmsd...

Final Value fee £6.94
    Insertion fee £0.40
    Paypal £8.55
    Total £15.89

Note that 'buyitnow' FVF is less than auction format.
    Technology (e.g mobile phones) is also cheaper than standard category.

]http//ww…uk/

Original Poster

grabbit;8726929

Just remembered a friend sold a mobile phone last month and by sheer … Just remembered a friend sold a mobile phone last month and by sheer coincidence it was a buy it now for £250 so just checked their selling fees in their account and it was...Apr xxxxxxx Phone,New xxxxxxxxx Insertion Fee £0.40 May xxxxxxxxxxxx Mobile Phone,New xxxxx Final Value Fee £7.16 xxxxxxx Final price: £249.99 (Buy It Now) xxxx'd some bits out showing full auction detailsSo thats for definate the FVF,they are a private seller £7.16 plus 40p listingWill check now and see what their paypal fees wereThey received a total of £256.99,£7 was for postage,fees taken by paypal were £8.94So total fees for selling a £250 phone would be £16.50 for a private seller

mfc1986;8727624

Sold loads of phones 'buyitnow' on ebay and total fees (with paypal) are … Sold loads of phones 'buyitnow' on ebay and total fees (with paypal) are always around 7%.Recent example...Phone sold 'buyitnow' at £239 + £6.50 rmsd...Final Value fee £6.94Insertion fee £0.40Paypal £8.55Total £15.89Note that 'buyitnow' FVF is less than auction format.Technology (e.g mobile phones) is also cheaper than standard category.]http://www.ebaycalculator.co.uk/

That's great thank you both - repped :thumbsup:

From reading their site it looked as if fees would be higher but these show not, so that makes me happier knowing I won't lose quite so much in fees:)

£7 on a £250 phone??

I paid ebay £9.19 on a £92 phone,

good luck with £7! :w00t:

FVF im talking

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat;8727978

£7 on a £250 phone??I paid ebay £9.19 on a £92 phone,good luck with £7! :w … £7 on a £250 phone??I paid ebay £9.19 on a £92 phone,good luck with £7! :w00t:

GRRRR this is what I meant when I started asking about this ! From the ebay site it def says 10% fvf on all items as private seller - but then people say they have only paid @£7 on an expensive sale - which would tie up with the technology sale prices - but these look as if they are for business sellers ..... so how do I know which they will charge me ??? :x

splatsplatsplat;8727978

£7 on a £250 phone??I paid ebay £9.19 on a £92 phone,good luck with £7! :w … £7 on a £250 phone??I paid ebay £9.19 on a £92 phone,good luck with £7! :w00t:

That's because you would have sold it auction format.

It is considerably cheaper 'buyitnow'. Being technology makes FVF cheaper still.

OP - sell it as 'buyitnow' and you WILL only pay approx. 7% total fees.

EDIT - if you want to be sure, set up a sale on ebay and at the bottom of the final page (before you press to confirm the listing) it will tell you what the FVF will be if it sells.

splatsplatsplat;8727978

That's definately what the fees were,100% certain as I logged into their account and looked,I was suprised too as I see people complain all the time about the fees,

I can access their account their account as they only sell the odd thing and they usually get me to write their listings or answer their questions while they're at work,if they listed something themselves they'd probably have ebay ringing them asking why they were listing from a different computer :whistling:

This is definately the fees for a private seller on a buy it now listing for a £250 mobile phone

its alot cheaper selling things as a buy it now than an auction. All my listings are now BIN's as i believe auctions are 10%. Your looking at paying around £25 fees.

khy86;8728396

its alot cheaper selling things as a buy it now than an auction. All my … its alot cheaper selling things as a buy it now than an auction. All my listings are now BIN's as i believe auctions are 10%. Your looking at paying around £25 fees.

It's £16.50 total,that includes

listing fee 40p,
    FVF £7.16
    paypal £8.94

that assumes charging postage of £7 for SD

Still think it's very confusing the way ebay detail what the fees will be ,I just had a look at mine out of interest,usually don't bother and just pay whatever they say I owe,

on a buy it now listing for a mobile phone @ £130 I was charged £4.41 FVF but 20% of that would be discounted at end of month making it £3.53, mine isn't a personal selling account though but the above example was from a personal selling account

Original Poster

Cheers all for making that clearer - I had no idea selling it on a buy-it-now would make so much difference to the fees !

Repped you all for taking the time to explain it all and clearing up my confusion - much appreciated :-) x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions