Am i stupid for not stockpiling?

Posted 17th Mar
So in our household were low on everything and right now most items are sold out in stores even the essentials like bread etc.
Im hoping once things calm down to an extent stuff will be readibly available again?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
andyanddiane17/03/2020 07:07

Only time will tell if stock pillers were silly ! If it gets like Italy …Only time will tell if stock pillers were silly ! If it gets like Italy then they were clever of it stays as is just now there was no need

They’re still selfish hunts wether it pays off or not.
tempt17/03/2020 09:00

Most borders are shut restricting movement of people and goods. Most of …Most borders are shut restricting movement of people and goods. Most of our stuff comes from outside and how are people still claiming that there is no problem with supply chain? People who work in ports report it's deserted and no cargo loaded/unloaded.

I work for major food retailer and haven't seen any supply issues to the warehouse. The problem is we don't have enough capacity to pick quantities many morons want to stockpile (and I'm sorry but you sound like one of them). Goods movement is not restricted.
Payyyyy17/03/2020 08:40

Our local groceries shop have put up sky high prices of sll meat chicken …Our local groceries shop have put up sky high prices of sll meat chicken rice and flourtaking advantage of the situation ridiculous morons

Remember them, Then boycott after the epidemic.
49 Comments
Depends where you live and where you’ve checked I guess. It’s posts like this that create panic. Why not offer up some useful information? Tried online shopping? More than one shop?
Try going to the shop early morning, like 04:00 if you have a 24hr store nearby. Most large stores get deliveries during the night and have staff stacking the shelves.
Book an online delivery slot
They are going to start rationing so should have some stock soon

looks like we could be shut in until the middle of summer
theguardian.com/wor…ged

The government policy is now not to go shopping
but I guess if you need something to eat
Stockpilers are needing to get a grip they are full of
Is hard to even get the normal basics now. Simple things like a bag of pasta and pack of eggs. None in lidl, Tesco, Sainsbury's, one stop. Madness. Even an online delivery booked in over a weeks time has not available for those things. I'm not concerned about covering months, but the day to day is getting tricky enough.
Only time will tell if stock pillers were silly ! If it gets like Italy then they were clever of it stays as is just now there was no need
The problem is not with the supply chain, the supply is still there. The problem is with demand. As soon as stock arrives, people but up everything. So you have to do what they do. Shop early morning when the stock has been put out.

Only time will tell if stock pillers were silly ! If it gets like Italy …Only time will tell if stock pillers were silly ! If it gets like Italy then they were clever of it stays as is just now there was no need

Yes
winzzz17/03/2020 07:27

We can all agree with that but who wants there families to be die if they don’t need too ! It’s simple survival mode
No, supermarkets will continue getting deliveries. They wont run out.. yet.
Don't think you are stupid for not stock piling as it's being considerate because if everyone does it there will be nothing left for others so why not just take what is needed?

HOWEVER, i do say keep at least a little stash in case you do get sick because if you are in isolation who will get the food for you? at least by having a small supply it will get you through the few weeks you are unable to go out. Especially if you have children as you need to be there to look after them so in order to do that you need to be in a good state!
Our local groceries shop have put up sky high prices of sll
meat chicken rice and flour

taking advantage of the situation
ridiculous morons
Kryptonitee17/03/2020 07:30

No, supermarkets will continue getting deliveries. They wont run out.. yet.

Keep dreaming.
MadeDixonsCry17/03/2020 07:26

The problem is not with the supply chain, the supply is still there. The …The problem is not with the supply chain, the supply is still there. The problem is with demand. As soon as stock arrives, people but up everything. So you have to do what they do. Shop early morning when the stock has been put out.

Most borders are shut restricting movement of people and goods. Most of our stuff comes from outside and how are people still claiming that there is no problem with supply chain? People who work in ports report it's deserted and no cargo loaded/unloaded.
Whoohoo17/03/2020 06:55

Is hard to even get the normal basics now. Simple things like a bag of …Is hard to even get the normal basics now. Simple things like a bag of pasta and pack of eggs. None in lidl, Tesco, Sainsbury's, one stop. Madness. Even an online delivery booked in over a weeks time has not available for those things. I'm not concerned about covering months, but the day to day is getting tricky enough.

As someone said above, if you can - get there early. Just getting some shopping for my next door neighbour, my local had plenty of pasta, toilet rolls, paracetamol, eggs & milk etc at 7.30am this morning. They was almost no soap, baby wipes or nappies though.

On a side note - supermarkets should put up some signs or try to encourage people to keep their distance from each other when queuing for tills & self service machines.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 17th Mar

Most borders are shut restricting movement of people and goods. Most of …Most borders are shut restricting movement of people and goods. Most of our stuff comes from outside and how are people still claiming that there is no problem with supply chain? People who work in ports report it's deserted and no cargo loaded/unloaded.

Most stuff doesnt come from outside, remoaner
I was there first thing too. Shows how much different areas are working

I work for major food retailer and haven't seen any supply issues to the warehouse. The problem is we don't have enough capacity to pick quantities many morons want to stockpile (and I'm sorry but you sound like one of them). Goods movement is not restricted.
Wongy11017/03/2020 06:27

Book an online delivery slotThey are going to start rationing so should …Book an online delivery slotThey are going to start rationing so should have some stock soonlooks like we could be shut in until the middle of summerhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/new-data-new-policy-why-uks-coronavirus-strategy-has-changedThe government policy is now not to go shoppingbut I guess if you need something to eat

The government advice is to avoid large gatherings and to not go out at all if you have symptoms. If you are feeling fine then shopping is fine, just wash your hands when you get home.

In what way were they clever? People in Italy can still go to supermarkets. They aren’t short of food and supplies are still being delivered.

This isn’t true either. Goods are moving fine. Only the movement of people has been restricted.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 17th Mar
To the OP, buy what you need for up to two weeks when you can. Its people buying three months worth that have caused the problems.
It will calm down, once all the idiots have finished stockpiling for no reason...
Norseg17/03/2020 09:05

Technically true, only around half of what we eat comes from imports
666FU17/03/2020 05:47

Try going to the shop early morning, like 04:00 if you have a 24hr store …Try going to the shop early morning, like 04:00 if you have a 24hr store nearby. Most large stores get deliveries during the night and have staff stacking the shelves.

All the 24hr stores (local to me, anyway) are closed at night now.
a bit too late to be asking this question now as there is nothing left in the shop to stock pile anyway. you will find it difficult to even do the normal shopping, no chance to stock pile anything now. those opportunities are over.

shops have also put in restrictions on how many items you can buy now.
not stockpliling anything myself, just had my delivery and only 1 item unavailable(butternut squash), though i didn't order any pasta or toilet rolls.

I also fill the shelves and I see no problem with supply coming in, it's just we can't get enough in fast enough to meet the current demand(we also have no extra staff to fill it either).

If your local is low on what you need, do as others said, go early or try another store.
I wasn’t but , I’ve just plugged in my spare Fridge freezer in the garage , going to freeze bread and fill it with frozen food

Juts in case it all goes to pot il have a back up
Just got a text from the wife, been to Aldi and its mental as you would expect, they have put restrictions on you can only buy 4 of the same product including bananas made me smile
People who are stockpiling are selfish morons and are stopping people like the vulnerable elderly and woman with new borns from getting essentials,as for loo rolls,95% of our loo roll is manufactured in the UK so we won't run out
Edited by: "FubarKid" 17th Mar
Wongy11017/03/2020 06:27

Book an online delivery slotThey are going to start rationing so should …Book an online delivery slotThey are going to start rationing so should have some stock soonlooks like we could be shut in until the middle of summerhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/new-data-new-policy-why-uks-coronavirus-strategy-has-changedThe government policy is now not to go shoppingbut I guess if you need something to eat

Ha ha
40122551-hT8JU.jpgI went into Asda last week. They had 2 packs of 9 Asda toilet rolls on the shelf. I looked at the cost per sheet and, in true HUKD style, thought that's a bit expensive and put them back on the shelf.
bogglebrain17/03/2020 10:41

Ha ha[Image] I went into Asda last week. They had 2 packs of 9 Asda toilet …Ha ha[Image] I went into Asda last week. They had 2 packs of 9 Asda toilet rolls on the shelf. I looked at the cost per sheet and, in true HUKD style, thought that's a bit expensive and put them back on the shelf.

Did the same went for milk to Adsa on Sunday and they had none!! walked down the toilet roll aisle all they had was 24 rolls for £7.50 went to local Home Bargains and got the usual 18 for £4 Nicky, and the milk went out for.
eslick17/03/2020 10:35

Just got a text from the wife, been to Aldi and its mental as you would …Just got a text from the wife, been to Aldi and its mental as you would expect, they have put restrictions on you can only buy 4 of the same product including bananas made me smile

Might have been the same branch of Aldi I was in this morning

I overheard a woman on another till being told she could only have 4 bananas. Does seem a bit silly to ration fresh produce which only lasts a few days anyway, not really the sort of thing you'd stockpile.
Norseg17/03/2020 09:05

So why do we need to import 80% of our food?

businessinsider.com/no-…R=T

We simply cannot produce enough to feed our population unless eating habits significantly change
666FU17/03/2020 05:47

Try going to the shop early morning, like 04:00 if you have a 24hr store …Try going to the shop early morning, like 04:00 if you have a 24hr store nearby. Most large stores get deliveries during the night and have staff stacking the shelves.

yh im going try that tonight, on night shift tonight, will pop in to the asda at 3am on my dinner break... lol
Edited by: "khang365" 17th Mar
bogglebrain17/03/2020 10:41

Ha ha[Image] I went into Asda last week. They had 2 packs of 9 Asda toilet …Ha ha[Image] I went into Asda last week. They had 2 packs of 9 Asda toilet rolls on the shelf. I looked at the cost per sheet and, in true HUKD style, thought that's a bit expensive and put them back on the shelf.

sounds just like me
Payyyyy17/03/2020 08:40

Our local groceries shop have put up sky high prices of sll meat chicken …Our local groceries shop have put up sky high prices of sll meat chicken rice and flourtaking advantage of the situation ridiculous morons

When this all blows over, remember what they did and dont shop there again
Stop complaining . I'd be happy if I sold out . There is plenty of stock . Just no staff to put it on the shelves .
Least the big supermarkets share price is on the rise
dezbo888817/03/2020 15:42

Stop complaining . I'd be happy if I sold out . There is plenty of stock . …Stop complaining . I'd be happy if I sold out . There is plenty of stock . Just no staff to put it on the shelves .Least the big supermarkets share price is on the rise

actually it is not true. the supermarkets share price are down like everyone else even though their revenue at the moment is sky high. i think it is in anticiaption of a global recession where they will also be affected as this high demand is short term and soon people will have enough and won't need to go to the shop as much as they have loads at home already.

google.com/sea…F-8
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants