am i too old to go to college at 30?

Found 13th Jan 2013
Well since i live in Blackpool the job market isn't exactly brilliant, i have been unemployed about 6 months now and the job centre have suggest i go to college to get more "sustainable" work not just seasonal crap. I am not apposed to the idea but i just dont know if a 30 year old would fit in at college.

Have any of you gone to collage as an adult to change career or start a new one ?
Community Updates
Misc
54 Comments
People do it all of the time.
There were loads of people at my college that were more 'older'... I would suggest you go to a college that isnt attached to a school though.
No you are not too old, i'm 25 and on my course there is also a 29 year old along with the 16 year olds, we all get on fine and it's fine....do it. DO IT!

I did a college course a few years ago where the age range was 16-66
I'm a part-time student (studying to further rather than change my career, though) and I'm not far off your age, and it's fine. It does feel a touch odd seeing so many young folk fresh from school around, but there are people my age and older on my course, and it seems pretty natural. In the classroom, it doesn't matter how old anybody is.
dog_cop

did you go to school the first time round from your eloquent OP ..

yes, but if the internet has taught me one thing its that no matter what is posted there will always be a troll/ grammer police/ **** about to make their lives more complete by jumping all over it
There wasnt anybodu my age on an IT full time course at college.
It wasnt that bad once you get used to it.

Still did not help me change career as the college course are not high enough to help me. City and guilds/NVQ didnt help.
I'm nearly 40 and go to college part time, nothing wrong in going, and there is a lot of good courses out there..
Not at all! I did a foundation course after sixth form and I was friends with people of all ages (there was a lovely lady who I think was somewhere between 50-60, completely bonkers but really lovely to talk to). I'm at university now and there are a handful of older students on my course too, some already have degrees and wanted a life change whilst others are persueing something they really wanted to do but didn't have the chance before. Good luck OP, I think it must probably seem quite daunting to attend classes with people who are much younger than you, but I am sure you will not be the only one and meet some interesting people at the same time as improving your skills
Nope, I was the youngest in my college class and majority of the students were 30. What course are you thinking of doing?
StevenBrown

yes, but if the internet has taught me one thing its that no matter what … yes, but if the internet has taught me one thing its that no matter what is posted there will always be a troll/ grammer police/ **** about to make their lives more complete by jumping all over it

There's no substitute for a bit of name calling and swear filter avoidance to win an argument! X)
Started uni at 28 - had a great time.
StevenBrown

yes, but if the internet has taught me one thing its that no matter what … yes, but if the internet has taught me one thing its that no matter what is posted there will always be a troll/ grammer police/ **** about to make their lives more complete by jumping all over it

are you really sure you went to school the first time round? me thinks maybe not
You are never to old to learn.
dog_cop

are you really sure you went to school the first time round? me thinks … are you really sure you went to school the first time round? me thinks maybe not

DC its not like you to be so picky, you're usually rather helpful
nope i'm 32 starting uni in Sept.
skellysgirl

DC its not like you to be so picky, you're usually rather helpful

usually, but I am having an off day
Never too old... I'm 30 and at college to further my career.
dog_cop

usually, but I am having an off day

Cheer up then

OP i went back to uni at 28, i loved it, i fitted in great
deleted568030
You've got over 35 years of work ahead of you (sorry to point that out), so 30 is good age to go back to education. Unlike all the 16-20 year olds you have enough experience to know what you DON'T want to do. So grab the opportunity while you can
Go for it OP, but choose a sensible course where there is an obvious job or career at the end of it.
just go for it! if you dont you may regret it one day
you'll be 33/34 by the time your finished and in a whole lot more debt than you already are plus look at the amount of people coming out of college with degrees looking for jobs and finding there is nothing available in the whole of the uk. For example here in northern ireland we have 2 universities in belfast offering courses in aeronautical engineering both take around 40 students so 80 students between the 2. We have 1 aeronautical company in northern ireland (bombardier) they hire 2-3 graduates each year because they prefer to hire apprentices and train them the way they like, so what happens the other 77 who went to uni? They are going to look at other countries to find work.
Personally if it was me id consider an apprenticeship, getting paid while you learn or jump ship and go to a country with better opportunities and weather than we have available here.
Edited by: "liamcush" 13th Jan 2013
If the training you receive will provide you with a chance of setting up on your own then it is worth it. But if it will rely on you finding employment with an employer you will be competing with younger possibly cheaper workers when you seek your first employment in your new role.

Not meaning to put you off as training is better than none. But you need to have realistic expectations of what you are likely to get from the course. It may be that training coupled with later relocation may provide greater opportunties.

If you are not having to fund it this makes it even more useful
You're going to die one day, go for it, no regrets.
Thank you to most of you for your advice. I am not entirely sure on which course yet, I have been looking at the gambling operations gaming machines course, being in a town full of arcades it would seem the logical course to start with.
Gambling operations gaming machines course?
Excuse my ignorance but what does this entail?
My friend went to Blackpool & Fylde doing an Art A level a couple of years ago. Think she was 22 at the time, she did it with older people.... there were 2 ladies in her class (a small class it wasn't with a load of teenagers) that were in their 70s. Go for it.
Never too old - i did an Access course last year at 31 and am now in my first year of a nursing degree.
i work also but i am on a german course at college and im 24, never too old to increase your knowledge fella, great that even though youre out of work that you wanna learn still! go for it
Sky is a limit. Even with highly competitive degrees such as medicine you will have a few 25-35 year old students.
Do it!
liamcush

Personally if it was me id consider an apprenticeship, getting paid while … Personally if it was me id consider an apprenticeship, getting paid while you learn or jump ship and go to a country with better opportunities and weather than we have available here.

Apprenticeship for someone over 24? Do tell.
You're not too old. I'm at college at the moment doing a computing course, aged 31. Most people on the course are 17-18, we get along great and they think I'm wonderful and wise... if only they knew

I've the added benefit of taking the work a bit more seriously because compared to the world of work it's a doddle, so I find the course pretty easy and the time is flying by. Feeling really good about myself; don't listen to anyone who says it's a waste of time, it will set you apart from other job candidates at some point.

Edited by: "LisaM75" 13th Jan 2013
You are never too old to do a course. You are never too old to train. Thats not the point though. If the op wants to get work at the end of any training, he has to bear in mind whether even after being trained someone of his age can get the work he is hoping for at the rate he needs to earn in the same area.

If he will have difficulty with any of that he may also need to consider moving to a different area. Or ensuring that any course of training allows him to become his own boss.
I done an access to higher education course at college a few years back whilst in full time employment, quit my decent job( as a BT engineer) and took a totally different direction. Never too old I'm 34 now (don't look it mind), loads of mature students these days. Go for it.
do electrician or engineering or something like that, please dont do what most do like socialogy, or social media, photography et al do something that will give you a real skill
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 13th Jan 2013
also perhaps the time has come to think about moving away from a seasonal area, I live near Hunstanton (about 12 miles away) and it is a ghost town in the winter, and I feel for anyone living there
You'll have to ask the mods to change your username to StevenSaville.......
Im 29 years old and currently at Uni Part time. Dont get me wrong, im 10 years older than most people but it doesnt matter
I went to my local comp in my 30s then on to Uni and teacher training. Am now a member of leadership in a large comprehensive school. I'd recommend further and higher education to anyone, no matter what age. It changed my life.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants