Groups

Amateur Photography

My wee bro is looking to looking to take up photography. This is just a hobby at the moment but possibly more in the future. I am looking for anyone into this that can pass on their experience and that can tell me some info on a decent camera and what sort of equipment you would need to get started. Personally I would say a camera phone would be enough but I am sure others will know better. Any help would be great.

24 Comments

Nah, not a camera phone - you will learn zero about taking shots with that!

Get a basic starter DSLR with a kit lens.

I'd reckon if you didn't wanna spend too much, you could pick up something like a Canon 350D with kit lens for around £150 these days - that would be a great start.

I guess it depends on your wee brothers age - if he could handle the larger camera - if he's still very young, I'd perhaps be inclined to recommend a compact camera.

A basic SLR is a good starting point and was for me - I have a Canon EOS350D and i'm sure they cost a lot less than when I got mine two years ago. Obviously it does do rather a lot so if they are just getting into photography it will be wiser to go for something smaller.

Some shots from yesterday with my 350D:
    http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/emasu/Strathclyde278.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/emasu/Strathclyde211.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/emasu/Strathclyde072.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/emasu/Strathclyde213.jpg

You won't learn anything from a camera phone.

Either get an entry level DSLR or if you can't afford it, see about buying a second hand film SLR and learn about basic photography techniques. Buy a decent camera magazine from WHSmiths and get a book book about photography.

Wow - nice chopper emasu! :lol:

Nice photo's emasu. Not sure how familiar you are with Photoshop but those photo's are pretty soft and would really benefit from some sharpening. Would look 10x better.:thumbsup:

moob;4109638

Nah, not a camera phone - you will learn zero about taking shots with … Nah, not a camera phone - you will learn zero about taking shots with that!Get a basic starter DSLR with a kit lens.I'd reckon if you didn't wanna spend too much, you could pick up something like a Canon 350D with kit lens for around £150 these days - that would be a great start.I guess it depends on your wee brothers age - if he could handle the larger camera - if he's still very young, I'd perhaps be inclined to recommend a compact camera.

+1 to the 350d if you can get one, or a 400d or 450d all come with kit lens which is good enough to start out with.

emasu;4109686

A basic SLR is a good starting point and was for me - I have a Canon … A basic SLR is a good starting point and was for me - I have a Canon EOS350D and i'm sure they cost a lot less than when I got mine two years ago. Obviously it does do rather a lot so if they are just getting into photography it will be wiser to go for something smaller.Some shots from yesterday with my 350D:

Thought you were from Northampton dude?

heyo, yer defo get a dslr. Some good deals to be had on the older eos models!

Good luck with it, and keep it up, photography is an interesting hobby.!

I rotated a couple of the images so the buildings in the background were level. I aso cropped them a bit more and added some sharpening in Photoshop.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/2ab9adae5715041464dd/strathclyde213_copy.jpg

http://www.b3tards.com/u/2ab9adae5715041464dd/strathclyde211_copy.jpg

Original Poster

I guess it depends on your wee brothers age

He is almost 17.

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about getting him the camera/kit for his birthday but wasn't wanting to spend £500 as I am not convinced he will stick to it. I can't seem to see anything much cheaper.

On a side note I was kidding with the camera phone thing.

He could start with a compact camera or a bridge camera depending on budget. Then if he is still snapping away and keen he/you could invest in an entry level DSLR to take it to the next level.

wilbur7;4110109

He is almost 17.Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about getting … He is almost 17.Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about getting him the camera/kit for his birthday but wasn't wanting to spend £500 as I am not convinced he will stick to it. I can't seem to see anything much cheaper.On a side note I was kidding with the camera phone thing.

Well I'm younger than 17 so there should be no problem there :thumbsup:

Planearm:- I have fireworks... but not photoshop. I know you can adjust sharpness in Fireworks, so i'll see how i get on.

wilbur7;4110109

He is almost 17.Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about getting … He is almost 17.Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about getting him the camera/kit for his birthday but wasn't wanting to spend £500 as I am not convinced he will stick to it. I can't seem to see anything much cheaper.On a side note I was kidding with the camera phone thing.

Think you will prob get a better deal than 500 for a 400 or 450d tbh.
    17 is a great age to start out in photography :thumbsup:

Original Poster

esq3585;4110196

Think you will prob get a better deal than 500 for a 400 or 450d tbh.17 … Think you will prob get a better deal than 500 for a 400 or 450d tbh.17 is a great age to start out in photography :thumbsup:

It may be because I am looking at Jessops as they are about the only camera shop I know. If anyone knows of a specific deal or brand please let me know. There seems to be many different things you need but not sure what is necessary.

Banned

I am a 350d user. It's a great camera and as others have said, you can get a used one at a really good price

This and all the other stuff on my site was taken with a 350D:

http://www.dan-jackson.com/smilies/tree.jpg

wilbur7;4110264

It may be because I am looking at Jessops as they are about the only … It may be because I am looking at Jessops as they are about the only camera shop I know. If anyone knows of a specific deal or brand please let me know. There seems to be many different things you need but not sure what is necessary.

try [url]www.camerapricebuster.co.uk[/url]
    Would go for a 400d and a nifty 50mm canon lens to start out, will make you realise perspective in realtion to pictures as the lens is fixed.
    Also the lens takes very sharp good quality pictures.

If he wants to start out there is a good sony deal here. £220 with £30 quid cashback
    Would recommend nikon or canon myself but for this price you cant go wrong.
    hotukdeals.com/ite…a-/

planearm;4109881

I rotated a couple of the images so the buildings in the background were … I rotated a couple of the images so the buildings in the background were level. I aso cropped them a bit more and added some sharpening in Photoshop.

Would have shot with a slower shutter speed to give the rotors more of a blur affect :thumbsup:

if your brother is starting photography, and is going on a course, then he is likely to be told to get a traditional 35mm SLR and not a digital. Only a few shops currently still stock new 35mm SLR. Heres one example:
    pixel-store.co.uk/pro…tml

peter_griffen;4113294

if your brother is starting photography, and is going on a course, then … if your brother is starting photography, and is going on a course, then he is likely to be told to get a traditional 35mm SLR and not a digital. Only a few shops currently still stock new 35mm SLR. Heres one example:http://www.pixel-store.co.uk/productdetail=pentaxmz60.html

Ah the good old days, takes me back.

Banned

You should be able to pick up a decent DSLR secondhand.

I paid £500 for my Canon 300D... probably only worth £150 now. (And still good enough even though its only 6.1 mega Pixels.)

Every now and then good offers come up where you can get a DSLR for about £200. I'd go for one of those.

Banned

emasu;4110189

Planearm:- I have fireworks... but not photoshop. I know you can adjust … Planearm:- I have fireworks... but not photoshop. I know you can adjust sharpness in Fireworks, so i'll see how i get on.

Need any help with that? :whistling::whistling:

im just taking up amature photography myself, i went for a nikon d40 as its about £240.. i got a lense kit 70-300mm on top of it and it comes to over 330 but was a good deal.

something that wasnt meantioned here. but is incredibly important. Pick up a tripod. 70+% of shots would normally been taken with this. makes taking shots alot easier. I got a cheap one for £12 on ebay.

planearm;4109881

I rotated a couple of the images so the buildings in the background were … I rotated a couple of the images so the buildings in the background were level. I aso cropped them a bit more and added some sharpening in Photoshop.

I thought i would have a go too, as i think this picture is really great.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2pq86eb.jpg

Desaturated the background, altered the levels to bring out the colour of the chopper and removed the cranes (?) from the background, thought they were a little distracting!!

Still is a great pic though.

OP - 350d is a good option as many have said, my mate's just upgraded his to a 30d after he got the hang of it. It's much more important to buy a decent lens though!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?99
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?44
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846240
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News66

See more discussions