Posted 6th Jan 2021
Don't know if anyone else here is the same boat, but i recently purchased a £499 chromebook using the interest free 5 x monthly payment option.

Order is stated as purchased using monthly payments in my account, product dispatched, and the full £499 debited from my card, instead of the 1st payment of £99.80!

Amazon on phone and live chat saying they are aware and looking into a fix, and will email me in due course... Nothing more they can do.
I contacted my bank, and they say they have to give Amazon 15 days to rectify, only after that can they intervene.

As well as a warning to others, wondered if anyone else here has had this happened to them, either now or in the past, and how did they get it resolved?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

36 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Author
    Amazon got back to me today, they cannot implement a fix, so i can keep the item as i paid for it, or return for a full refund.

I went back them and got another £45 credit added to my account as i agreed to keep the Chromebook, so got £75 total applied in credit.
  2. Avatar
    I use it whenever it is offered on an item and have never had this issue. Have you checked the monthly payment self-service page? Does the item show up on there and if so what does it say about it?

amazon.co.uk/man…nts
  3. Avatar
    used the option plenty of times, never had this issue. Maybe the 5 monthly payments box wasn't ticked at checkout?
  4. Avatar
    I've also used it a couple of times before and never had issues, they normally send an email notification when the monthly payment is being made. There's also something under your Amazon account to see a breakdown of payments and how much of the balance is left to pay..
  5. Avatar
    saintscouple06/01/2021 17:34

It doesn't show in the self-service portal, but clearly states it was the …It doesn't show in the self-service portal, but clearly states it was the option used when purchasing the item in the order history. [Image]

Strange! If it’s not in the monthly payments self service then sounds like youve been charged in full because it hasn’t been (properly) set up as a monthly payment. Must be a technical glitch! Hope you get it sorted
  6. Avatar
    Luckily never happened to me hope you get it sorted!
  7. Avatar
    So what you going to do then.. its a lot of money for them to be messing around with.. I've only bought one item on the pay over 5months and when I set that up, my payment also seemed like it was taking it in full but when the payment left it was actually the installment. Hope you get it sorted, not really the stress anyone needs atm.. (edited)
  8. Avatar
    Author
    Alexanderlocks08/01/2021 22:49

So what you going to do then.. its a lot of money for them to be messing …So what you going to do then.. its a lot of money for them to be messing around with.. I've only bought one item on the pay over 5months and when I set that up, my payment also seemed like it was taking it in full but when the payment left it was actually the installment. Hope you get it sorted, not really the stress anyone needs atm..

I'm going to ride out it.

The chromebook is ace, far superior to others I've had. I've managed to get myself fluid again, so could afford for it to be paid in full.
    If they come back with options, i.e refund the £399.20 difference and continue with monthly payments, or to keep it paid in full, and a % discount refunded to me i'll take the latter.

I did accept the £30 for the inconvenance created so far.
  9. Avatar
    saintscouple09/01/2021 08:27

I'm going to ride out it. The chromebook is ace, far superior to others …I'm going to ride out it. The chromebook is ace, far superior to others I've had. I've managed to get myself fluid again, so could afford for it to be paid in full. If they come back with options, i.e refund the £399.20 difference and continue with monthly payments, or to keep it paid in full, and a % discount refunded to me i'll take the latter. I did accept the £30 for the inconvenance created so far.

Yeah good to hear you got your finances back in order & as long as you get something out of them. Keep us updated what happens when they eventually sort it out..
  10. Avatar
    Late to the party on this one, but I had exactly the same happen to me. Purchased a phone for £650 using the 5 monthly payments option on the 3rd of Jan and then received an email on the 11th to say due to a technical fault my monthly payments could not be set up and instead I was charged the full amount. I was given £20 credit and was given the same offer of either returning it or keeping it.

The first chat with their CS suggested it could be reversed and their technical team would be in contact within 48-72 hours. I'm on the second chat currently where I've been told the "fault has been resolved" and for me to return it and buy it again using the the monthly payment option. As much as a faff that would be, the phone isn't even available any more with the monthly payment option.

I could take the hit and keep it, but only if they offer some sort of discount or promotional credit.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    KJ4940416/01/2021 06:44

Are Amazon not doing the pay monthly anymore? I got a couple of things in …Are Amazon not doing the pay monthly anymore? I got a couple of things in the last year with it and it was fine. But the pay monthly option isn’t coming up for me now? Was looking for a new vacuum cleaner. I never had a payment missed or late when I did it before

Yes, still showing on some product groups for me.

@JakeXP can you see if you have monthly payment options on other phones still?

I ask as you can only have 1 item per product group on monthly payment, and so whilst i ordered my Chromebook on monthly payment but it didn't go through as that, I should be able to order another on monthly payment...... no items are showing with the monthly payment option.
    So not only did i pay outright, I lost the option to purchase future chromebooks / laptops on monthly payments.

I can see items within other product groups available for monthly payments just fine. (edited)
  12. Avatar
    saintscouple16/01/2021 08:01

Yes, still showing on some product groups for me. @KJ49404 can you see if …Yes, still showing on some product groups for me. @KJ49404 can you see if you have monthly payment options on other phones still?I ask as you can only have 1 item per product group on monthly payment, and so whilst i ordered my Chromebook on monthly payment but it didn't go through as that, I should be able to order another on monthly payment...... no items are showing with the monthly payment option. So not only did i pay outright, I lost the option to purchase future chromebooks / laptops on monthly payments. I can see items within other product groups available for monthly payments just fine.

That’s terrible. No, I haven’t ordered in months and have nothing outstanding. I’ve looked for items I don’t want to buy, just because I know the pay monthly option used to be on them, like laptops and Beats headphones, but it’s not showing.

I thought maybe they had stopped doing it
  13. Avatar
    I phoned Amazon just and managed to get through to a Scottish chap. I explained the situation and told him about the previous webchats and he went away to have a look. After holding for about 10 minutes he came back and said he'd spoken with a "lead' who was going to initiate a refund request for the difference between the first instalment and the full amount with the monthly instalments being reinstated again.

Whether or not it happens is another question, but he sounded reassured that this'd be the case.
  14. Avatar
    Will do.

That was exactly the same email I had which made me aware of the issue to begin with (hadn't checked my card statement by that point). First chat I had said it could be reversed, second chat said it couldn't, and now the chap on the phone today suggested it could and would be. Not going to hold my breath mind you, but we'll see what happens.
  15. Avatar
    Author
    Jenny2723/04/2021 14:18

I lost my my job due to covid and been struggling, I took advantage and …I lost my my job due to covid and been struggling, I took advantage and got 3 items on 5 monthly payments. What do amazon do if you fail to repay? I didn't agree to a credit agreement, I just took advantage of the offer that was given to me. I don't care if I get banned as I can't afford anything at the moment and I am finding it hard to manage.Ill probably get hate for this but when you're so low on funds you can't afford to pay internet bill and sell your phone then I do admit I took advantage of the offer. I am not even sure why I was offered it as I had not even used the account for over a year.I am using my friends bt wifi hotspot so that's something when it works, so something I can save on. I did try to sell my laptop but it was not worth much.

I don't know for sure, but to hazard a guess they will assign the debt to debt collectors who will write you letters, and put derogatory markers on your credit file.
    Pretty much the same if you took out a phone handset contract, sold the handset, and didn't pay.

Amazon accounts used to be referred only by email, don't know if that's still the same, so if your account become barred it may be possible to set up a new account with a different email.
  16. Avatar
    Author
    That's the idea of the letters.. to make you worry enough to pay.
    I would consider contacting the money advice service for help with your debts.

moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/…tor
  17. Avatar
    Author
    It doesn't show in the self-service portal, but clearly states it was the option used when purchasing the item in the order history. 43428813-SMuWu.jpg
  18. Avatar
    Do they do a credit check after you click buy?
  19. Avatar
    Author
    Ringfinger06/01/2021 18:55

Do they do a credit check after you click buy?

No credit check... the 5 x monthly payment option is purely offered on how you manage your account. Only certain items are available.

I've used the option before several times myself with no problems.

When i saw the £499 as a pending transaction i contacted Amazon to confirm they would be only charging instalments. They confirmed this was the case and that the pending transaction was an authorisation charge to ensure my payment card is still active,

43430371-Qourk.jpg
  20. Avatar
    Never had this issue and I've bought quite a few on these terms.
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Received a response from Amazon..

43445664-OO28i.jpg
  22. Avatar
    saintscouple11/01/2021 16:32

Amazon got back to me today, they cannot implement a fix, so i can keep …Amazon got back to me today, they cannot implement a fix, so i can keep the item as i paid for it, or return for a full refund. I went back them and got another £45 credit added to my account as i agreed to keep the Chromebook, so got £75 total applied in credit.

Oh thats good. Is it promotional credit or gift card? I always love abit of credit back when they mess up (which is quite often I find) Never had 75 in one go but then again I never spend as much as you did on the chromebook..
  23. Avatar
    Are Amazon not doing the pay monthly anymore? I got a couple of things in the last year with it and it was fine. But the pay monthly option isn’t coming up for me now? Was looking for a new vacuum cleaner.

I never had a payment missed or late when I did it before
  24. Avatar
    Author
    I'm still seeing lots of options, just not in the computer department.
    This one for example

amazon.co.uk/Gar…-11

43531767-o0CVR.jpg
  25. Avatar
    Just checked and you're right - no mobile phones are available with the monthly payments but it's available for something like a Kindle.

I'm planning on phoning them today to try and sort it out, but in this case I'm probably going to escalate into a complaint. (edited)
  26. Avatar
    Author
    JakeXP16/01/2021 18:08

I phoned Amazon just and managed to get through to a Scottish chap. I …I phoned Amazon just and managed to get through to a Scottish chap. I explained the situation and told him about the previous webchats and he went away to have a look. After holding for about 10 minutes he came back and said he'd spoken with a "lead' who was going to initiate a refund request for the difference between the first instalment and the full amount with the monthly instalments being reinstated again.Whether or not it happens is another question, but he sounded reassured that this'd be the case.

Please let us know how you get on.

This is a snippet of the email i got saying it couldn't be done, after a week of them investigating it.

43538843-WZVxi.jpg
  27. Avatar
    I lost my my job due to covid and been struggling, I took advantage and got 3 items on 5 monthly payments. What do amazon do if you fail to repay? I didn't agree to a credit agreement, I just took advantage of the offer that was given to me. I don't care if I get banned as I can't afford anything at the moment and I am finding it hard to manage.

Ill probably get hate for this but when you're so low on funds you can't afford to pay internet bill and sell your phone then I do admit I took advantage of the offer. I am not even sure why I was offered it as I had not even used the account for over a year.

I am using my friends bt wifi hotspot so that's something when it works, so something I can save on. I did try to sell my laptop but it was not worth much. (edited)
  28. Avatar
    I will be open and honest. They were items I could sell on and get money for quickly. I owed rent before I got help. Water and electric bill pay and no way to pay it and I had not eaten for 3 days when I did this so maybe I wasn't thinking straight and now I am worried ill go jail. I managed to get overdraft with my back on that day, used some for food and did this on amazon to pay for monthly instalments. (edited)
  29. Avatar
    I have got a letter as my payments were failing to say they will take further steps if I do not pay but it did not outline what they mean by it, so had me worried. I do not know about emails as I not used that email address since. So I guess I already have a bad credit file now.

:: Although they do not have my date of birth and I didn't agree to credit agreement. (edited)
  30. Avatar
    Can the legally have people turn up to my house if I didn't sign anything? I didn't give my date of birth at least I do not remember giving it at the time. I guess I will just offer to pay small payments until I can secure a good job again. Now this covid seems to be going I am more hopefully but at one point I was on the edge and couldn't cope.

I am not after sympathy though as I know it was wrong and I can't justify it as I know lot of people are desperate during these times (edited)
  31. Avatar
    Jenny2723/04/2021 14:47

Can the legally have people turn up to my house if I didn't sign anything? …Can the legally have people turn up to my house if I didn't sign anything? I didn't give my date of birth at least I do not remember giving it at the time. I guess I will just offer to pay small payments until I can secure a good job again. Now this covid seems to be going I am more hopefully but at one point I was on the edge and couldn't cope.I am not after sympathy though as I know it was wrong and I can't justify it as I know lot of people are desperate during these times

In assuming it had gone to a debt collection agency. If it has the following advice applies. The same advice applies if it hasn't, but don't stress if they refuse to listen or help, just wait for it to go to a collection agency, then follow the advice.

Quite simply they can't have more than you can afford. If you were unemployed at the time of taking finance they weren't being responsible lenders and they didn't conduct an accurate affordability check. You simply tell them you can't afford more than £5 a month or whatever you can afford and they have little option but to accept it. Sure they could make you bankrupt, but they will get pennies in the £.
    Contact them, YOU CONTACT THEM the worst thing you can do is to ignore them. They will be sympathetic, many many people are in financial difficulties because of Covid (myself included. I was a coach driver, driving Chinese visitors on tours around the UK. No work now. No job now ) . I have a part time job and Universal Credit. Never claimed benefits before. It's a confusing as FK. But I've found that all the companies I've had dealings with are 100% sympathetic. Just contact them. Apologise and say you were too embarrassed to admit you were in difficulties They will ask you a few questions and probably offer you a payment 'holiday' for a month or two and send you an income and expenditure form. If you're not confidant about completing it contact stepchange organisation. Everyone rates them, but I personally didn't find them helpful (they advised me to go for something that sees 80% of the debt written off after a year and small payments before that - couldn't morally do that, my debts I pay them).

I can't stress enough... CONTACT THEM... you will feel like you're walking on air after you do. Any advice you need, from someone who's been through it themselves message me. And Good luck.
  32. Avatar
    Jenny2723/04/2021 14:47

Can the legally have people turn up to my house if I didn't sign anything? …Can the legally have people turn up to my house if I didn't sign anything? I didn't give my date of birth at least I do not remember giving it at the time. I guess I will just offer to pay small payments until I can secure a good job again. Now this covid seems to be going I am more hopefully but at one point I was on the edge and couldn't cope.I am not after sympathy though as I know it was wrong and I can't justify it as I know lot of people are desperate during these times

Not sure how they operate but I imagine they will probably close your account and issue proceedings against you in the county court, and get a CCJ. You won’t have any defence. Then, yes, after that they can send enforcement agents (bailiffs) round to take goods if they so desire.
  33. Avatar
    xeroc23/04/2021 20:11

Not sure how they operate but I imagine they will probably close your …Not sure how they operate but I imagine they will probably close your account and issue proceedings against you in the county court, and get a CCJ. You won’t have any defence. Then, yes, after that they can send enforcement agents (bailiffs) round to take goods if they so desire.

Almost correct. They can't demand money if you can't afford it. They will ask for list of earnings and expenditure. If you make an offer they will accept it providing it's not a silly offer (meaning, if you have £500 left after paying your bills they won't accept £5. But if you have £50 they probably will). Best advice is still to contact them as soon as possible.
  34. Avatar
    where are you from? if its scotland debt collecters cant do much
  35. Avatar
    Author
    xeroc23/04/2021 20:11

Not sure how they operate but I imagine they will probably close your …Not sure how they operate but I imagine they will probably close your account and issue proceedings against you in the county court, and get a CCJ. You won’t have any defence. Then, yes, after that they can send enforcement agents (bailiffs) round to take goods if they so desire.

To get a CJJ they have to send you a money claim form, where you have a choice of admitting to owing the full amount, partial amount, or none at all. You have to state reasons, a defence as to why you only owe partial or none.
    If you accept the full amount owed, you then have a choice, pay full amount now, later, or offer repayments.
    For repayments you have to fill in an income and expenditure form - same as Ringfinger has said for a debt collector.
    They then make a decision to accept your offer of repayment and the CCJ is issued, or decline it and let a judge decide.
    The judge can agree, or set a different amount for your repayments, and again the CCJ is issued.
    You won't have to attend court.
    Whatever you do at this stage you must keep up repayments, even if it's £1 a month, as once you default, only then can they send bailiffs to seize goods to the value of the debt.
    A CCJ will stay on your credit file for 6 years, regardless if by that time the debt has been paid off or not.
    This is England process.
  36. Avatar
    I am trying to buy a steering wheel for my pc using the offered 5 monthly payments but noticed when i get to actually paying they want to take the full £249.00 been on chat thaey can do anything so have emailed the concered department luckily i noticed, i have tried another item too and it did the same thing.
Top Merchants