Amazon account , ghost orders

Posted 22nd May
last couple of days had emails from Amazon confirming orders that i havent made. The app doesnt register them.... the money's been taken from my account. i stopped my card at the bank, the order was then re processed using another card registered to the account, i have since deleted all the cards from the account.

Spoke to customer service , who are nice but cant help and refer me to a security service team who will contact me within 48 hours, they haven't yet.

Mentioned this in passing to a friend, who to my surprise has had the same thing happen. I'm convinced its not a breach my end and im not sure its fraudulent, the rogue items have just been delivered, so what does anyone get from it?

Anyone else had anything happen like this ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order goes through. No payment method means no one can buy anything on my account , unless they pay themselves that is.
38 Comments
This happened to me 2 months ago. “They” ordered a small value item (which was delivered), but also a $100 gift card, yes $, so that’s what they got out of it. I was also email bombed at the same time - my email was flooded with 600+ email subscriptions and the amazon confirmation was hidden within them. So annoying as that address was previously clean and never had any unsolicited mail, but I’m still sifting through subscriptions. Amazon did refund me, but provided no explanation as to how my account was hacked.
P.s Make sure you enable 2 factor authentication once you’ve changed your password
I did that straight away, they emailed to tell me that any changes that had been made in the last few hours had been cancelled due to a security breach!
No gift card has been ordered......yet
What was the items you released
Have you changed the password for the email account you have linked to Amazon?
Normally something like this means you've been phished, had a easy to guess password or used the same password on a website which has been hacked.
However there is always the chance they have access to your email account and simply did an account recovery to gain access.
Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order goes through. No payment method means no one can buy anything on my account , unless they pay themselves that is.
joedastudd22/05/2020 20:49

Have you changed the password for the email account you have linked to …Have you changed the password for the email account you have linked to Amazon?Normally something like this means you've been phished, had a easy to guess password or used the same password on a website which has been hacked. However there is always the chance they have access to your email account and simply did an account recovery to gain access.

Email account has text message security set up, new log ins require a text code sent to my number, it also has a different password.

I just cant see how thier getting access to process orders and why there not showing up on the account, just an email and the money being withdrawn from my bank accounts.

It all adds up to a data breach on their systems , time will tell. My account now has no payment cards and my cards are temporarily blocked
Edited by: "tinkertaylor" 22nd May
tinkertaylor22/05/2020 22:21

Email account has text message security set up, new log ins require a text …Email account has text message security set up, new log ins require a text code sent to my number, it also has a different password. I just cant see how thier getting access to process orders and why there not showing up on the account, just an email and the money being withdrawn from my bank accounts.It all adds up to a data breach on their systems , time will tell. My account now has no payment cards and my cards are temporarily blocked

You can hide orders on Amazon easily.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…140

Check your archived orders and see if they are listed there.
It's a pretty common tactic to hide fraud orders to allow them to place more orders before getting caught.
Most people infrequently check their bank balance and of the sent a load of spam emails it helps cover the order confirmation email from Amazon.
yorkie1222/05/2020 20:55

Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order …Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order goes through. No payment method means no one can buy anything on my account , unless they pay themselves that is.

Why they don’t ask for number on back of card? (Cvv)
I delete card each time too.
yorkie1222/05/2020 20:55

Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order …Whenever I buy off Amazon I remove my card details as soon as the order goes through. No payment method means no one can buy anything on my account , unless they pay themselves that is.

Yeah, I never leave my bank details on any website including Amazon just in case it gets hacked.
Edited by: "Speculator" 23rd May
To the people this happened to...are your passwords a bit easy? I have a very complex one for amazon. Worrying thing for me is I hardly ever check my emails associated with my amazon account!

To the people who know about the workings of this...sometimes I'm on a site that delivers pop-ups. They are often annoying ads for adult sites, but sometimes the pop-up is for amazon. The page seems legit. But if it isn't, I would have to log in on that page for them to swipe my info? I've only just realised typing this - IF it is amazon uk and not com - that the page doesn't 'know me' even though on uk I'm always logged in now for the site (recent change)!

Will look for this two factor authentication but what is it for? Logging in? Ordering? Logging from a new machine? Anything else?
Amazon are terrible .why do they not ask for your cvv number and like other web sites if they store your payment details they should not not store the cvv number, so this has to be added each time you order anything.
This happened to my dad, as mentioned look for hidden orders.
Uh oh! I just got one of the Amazon pop-ups and it is Amazon UK and the page said "Hello my name". Now that's worrying. It went through two urls to get to the Amazon page.
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 23rd May
It’s no subscribe orders is it? After a month or so I used to get shocked when I thought Amazon were adding the stuff hahah
Something similar happened to me I kept noticing these small transactions from amazon I thought my account had been hacked or something then turns out it was the other half she was using my card on her account ordering some junk here and there
Meathotukdeals23/05/2020 02:17

Uh oh! I just got one of the Amazon pop-ups and it is Amazon UK and the …Uh oh! I just got one of the Amazon pop-ups and it is Amazon UK and the page said "Hello my name". Now that's worrying. It went through two urls to get to the Amazon page.

Picking up cookies from a previous session. Please set your browser to clear everything when you close it.
joedastudd23/05/2020 00:07

You can hide orders on Amazon …You can hide orders on Amazon easily.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201997140Check your archived orders and see if they are listed there.It's a pretty common tactic to hide fraud orders to allow them to place more orders before getting caught.Most people infrequently check their bank balance and of the sent a load of spam emails it helps cover the order confirmation email from Amazon.

Just checked , nothing archived and still non of the dodgy orders showing on my account .

my password isnt straight forward and iits not used on any other sites. I dont follow links from emails or websites and dont use any wi-fi other than my own. I haven't sold,.lost or thrown away any devices that i log onto any sites with and my email account hasnt been hacked, i have checked access records that show whats logged into the account, all my devices and all legit locations..

No one has ordered anything that share my devices.

I'm going to upgrade my methods, think i will start to use revolute card for online purchases and transfer money to it when im going to purchase stuff.

Still heard nothing from Amazon, call center is closed due to Coronavirus, not sure why they cant work from home.,......maybe they can can , i just hope whoever is are doing it securely because everything about these orders are pointing towards an issue with their systems.

Doesn't seem like its fraudulent, items are low in value l and are being delivered to my address.
Revolut also allows creation of one time, virtual disposable cards. These can provide an additional layer of protection.
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 06:19

Just checked , nothing archived and still non of the dodgy orders showing …Just checked , nothing archived and still non of the dodgy orders showing on my account . my password isnt straight forward and iits not used on any other sites. I dont follow links from emails or websites and dont use any wi-fi other than my own. I haven't sold,.lost or thrown away any devices that i log onto any sites with and my email account hasnt been hacked, i have checked access records that show whats logged into the account, all my devices and all legit locations..No one has ordered anything that share my devices.I'm going to upgrade my methods, think i will start to use revolute card for online purchases and transfer money to it when im going to purchase stuff. Still heard nothing from Amazon, call center is closed due to Coronavirus, not sure why they cant work from home.,......maybe they can can , i just hope whoever is are doing it securely because everything about these orders are pointing towards an issue with their systems. Doesn't seem like its fraudulent, items are low in value l and are being delivered to my address.

Live chat and phones still work.
If they aren’t showing as orders on your account and you haven’t got a second account then it is most probably your card that the thief has got. If that’s the case nothing Amazon can do but talk to your bank again, you might have cancelled the card but they should be looking out for the transactions.
Just happened to my daughters Amazon account. She was charged and now three days later my bank account has a transaction pending. My daughter has sorted her payment out though she did receive printer ink a day later, I am in the process of sorting mine.

conversation.which.co.uk/mon…ed/
suejb223/05/2020 12:53

Just happened to my daughters Amazon account. She was charged and now …Just happened to my daughters Amazon account. She was charged and now three days later my bank account has a transaction pending. My daughter has sorted her payment out though she did receive printer ink a day later, I am in the process of sorting mine. https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/amazon-prime-brushing-scam-explained/

Brushing is a different scam though, to yours and the OPs, where payment has been taken as well. Brushing only involves using your name and address, obtained from who knows where, to get stuff delivered to. Sellers on Amazon then create reviews to up their ratings once they know an item has been delivered. You, yourself are not actually charged - just inundated with unwanted tat!
bozo00723/05/2020 06:14

Picking up cookies from a previous session. Please set your browser to …Picking up cookies from a previous session. Please set your browser to clear everything when you close it.

So can the person/organisation creating the Amazon.co.uk pop-up actually get my Amazon log in data? Luckily I don't seem to have any hidden / archived orders on my account that the Amazon system will show me. Then I read this...
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 06:19

Just checked , nothing archived and still non of the dodgy orders showing …Just checked , nothing archived and still non of the dodgy orders showing on my account . Still heard nothing from Amazon, call center is closed due to Coronavirus, Doesn't seem like its fraudulent, items are low in value l and are being delivered to my address.

So no trace at all on Amazon system

I got on Amazon chat a night or two ago.

Some relief they are delivered to you...are other people having this problem getting the ghost items delivered to your own home?
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 23rd May
fearona23/05/2020 08:04

Live chat and phones still work.

Phones dont work , try calling them . Live chat just humour you and refer you to their security team
Had a reply , they will not refund, told.me to go through my debit card company. I have asked for the IP address of the device that ordered the goods. I cant even return them as they have deleted them from my account,
We recommend that you review all recent activity on this card and report any unauthorized charges to your financial institution. As the refund will not be issued by Amazon, your financial institution will send you forms to formally dispute the unauthorized charges. The applicable merchants will be notified and charged back, and your account will be credited
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 15:22

Had a reply , they will not refund, told.me to go through my debit card …Had a reply , they will not refund, told.me to go through my debit card company. I have asked for the IP address of the device that ordered the goods. I cant even return them as they have deleted them from my account,

Then the likely next issue will be that Amazon will close your account for doing a chargeback. These companies, I swear...

Have you tried emailing dgurr@amazon.com? It’s the CEOs email that gets forwarded onto the Executive Customer Relations team (the highest you can go essentially).
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 15:30

We recommend that you review all recent activity on this card and report …We recommend that you review all recent activity on this card and report any unauthorized charges to your financial institution. As the refund will not be issued by Amazon, your financial institution will send you forms to formally dispute the unauthorized charges. The applicable merchants will be notified and charged back, and your account will be credited

Maybe do a GDPR request against Amazon and get everything they hold on your account?
seatie23/05/2020 15:41

Maybe do a GDPR request against Amazon and get everything they hold on …Maybe do a GDPR request against Amazon and get everything they hold on your account?

I have thought about doing this, the conversations i have had with the customer services were deleted when the second purchase went through after i had asked for my account to be frozen while we sorted the first issue out. I have contacted the bank to get a refund. Closed my prime account and my kindle unlimited.

I have repeatedly asked for the device type and ip of where the order was placed . They wont give it to me....
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 15:57

I have thought about doing this, the conversations i have had with the …I have thought about doing this, the conversations i have had with the customer services were deleted when the second purchase went through after i had asked for my account to be frozen while we sorted the first issue out. I have contacted the bank to get a refund. Closed my prime account and my kindle unlimited.I have repeatedly asked for the device type and ip of where the order was placed . They wont give it to me....

I 'think' some info like that is provided as part of an information request but not absolutely sure. Never done one.
seatie23/05/2020 16:02

I 'think' some info like that is provided as part of an information …I 'think' some info like that is provided as part of an information request but not absolutely sure. Never done one.

I wont give up on this even if it takes a small claims case , we will see . On the phone to the bank now to see if they can help . Not a nice feeling tbh , feel hopeless and violated, strange world we live in
Just to clarify, are the orders being delivered to your address? If so, do the address labels have order nos. Also do Amazon acknowledge the orders are coming from your account? As if so, they should allow you return them as unwanted under distance selling regulations (or whatever it is called now!).
Same happened to my mate. He kept receiving low value items, which Amazon told him to keep or throw away. The only thing that he didn't get was the iPad they ordered, but the order it was meant to be came with a set of screwdrivers in the box. They never got back to him on what happened.
seatie23/05/2020 16:52

Just to clarify, are the orders being delivered to your address? If so, do …Just to clarify, are the orders being delivered to your address? If so, do the address labels have order nos. Also do Amazon acknowledge the orders are coming from your account? As if so, they should allow you return them as unwanted under distance selling regulations (or whatever it is called now!).

I know......... because the orders are marked as fraudulent there removed from my account so i have no way to return them. Amazon customer service just say they will help then dont.

This isn't isolated , im hearing more cases like this just in my social circle, im not even sure its fraudulent, what have they got to gain others than selling cheap tat and high prices .
tinkertaylor23/05/2020 19:32

I know......... because the orders are marked as fraudulent there removed …I know......... because the orders are marked as fraudulent there removed from my account so i have no way to return them. Amazon customer service just say they will help then dont. This isn't isolated , im hearing more cases like this just in my social circle, im not even sure its fraudulent, what have they got to gain others than selling cheap tat and high prices .

If they are using your card details then it is fraudulent. If Amazon can't/won't help further it does make it very difficult and frustrating.
seatie23/05/2020 16:52

Just to clarify, are the orders being delivered to your address? If so, do …Just to clarify, are the orders being delivered to your address? If so, do the address labels have order nos. Also do Amazon acknowledge the orders are coming from your account? As if so, they should allow you return them as unwanted under distance selling regulations (or whatever it is called now!).

CCR off-premises sales (formerly DSR) permits the customer to cancel their order and return for full refund. OP has not placed the order and so is not the customer; OP is simply the recipient of unwanted goods that they have been charged for via an unauthorised transaction, unless Amazon's t&c state that by leaving a payment card available within the Amazon account is authorising payment for orders placed within the account, in which case OP has pre-auth the payment but not the order contract, and cannot cancel an order that does not appear within OPs account.
Dull technical observation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions