Amazon apparently delivered parcel benind my bins..

Posted 12th Nov
as per title I've never ever thought Amazon would even attempt such a stupid thing it's a reasonably high value item and when I'm not normally in they delivery to a neighbour which I have zero issues with it turns out the item wasn't there as stated so I rang Amazon immediately and the lady said it wouldn't have been left there it's to high value and they don't athorise the drivers to do that on high value items she said the driver would of took it back but I did state that's not what it says on card left. customer service agent said leave it till 13th November even tho I was super sceptical with the whole thing i was reassured it was taken back and delivery would be attempted the next day none of that had happened. what should I expect from this? anyone ever experienced anything similar I'm very annoyed but as it stands I have to wait till tomorrow for anything to be done
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for delivery knowing they will not be at home. Here's an idea if you order something for delivery make sure there is someone at the delivery location to receive the item. You wouldn't order your grocery shop to arrive at a time you where not at home would you?
666FU13/11/2019 00:40

Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for …Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for delivery knowing they will not be at home. Here's an idea if you order something for delivery make sure there is someone at the delivery location to receive the item. You wouldn't order your grocery shop to arrive at a time you where not at home would you?

But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with amazon drivers .
Amazon push us to deliver every single parcel they don’t like to when any come back to the depot. Returns are recorded against drivers and if it happens regularly get the sack. Most drivers will leave in a “safe place” rather than a neighbour because it’s much quicker and we are on a really tight schedule.
666FU13/11/2019 02:01

Which is why you should make sure someone is home all day. You might have …Which is why you should make sure someone is home all day. You might have to pay extra for a weekend delivery but that's your problem not Amazon's.

You're meant to enable 'safeplace' on Amazon if you want it left somewhere so at least they have something on their side. 'Making sure someone is at home all day' is overkill if you didn't ask them to leave the parcel somewhere, I should imagine if I didn't say it was ok to leave down the side of the house/bins/whatever that they'd leave a card, take back to depot and attempt delivery at another time. It is definitely Amazon's problem if you've paid for an item and not had it delivered...
50 Comments
Where does it say it was left behind your bins? And how long did you get to them after delivery. Usually the drivers take pictures of where they left the item and upload it onto amazon
Wait until the 13th. It won’t turn up and they will refund you so you can reorder.

I often have the courier leave it behind my bins. It’s madness, I have cctv so I can always check if it goes missing.
I’ve had a few items left ‘behind bins’ when it’s actually to the side of it in view of passers by..
They have no choice other than to refund you or send a replacement
deals6912/11/2019 22:48

Where does it say it was left behind your bins? And how long did you get …Where does it say it was left behind your bins? And how long did you get to them after delivery. Usually the drivers take pictures of where they left the item and upload it onto amazon

On the card the driver left.
Rune_2H12/11/2019 22:57

Comment deleted

It's fantastic that they would even consider that option when it's there drivers leaving things in stupid places
carlsaunders112/11/2019 22:48

Wait until the 13th. It won’t turn up and they will refund you so you can r …Wait until the 13th. It won’t turn up and they will refund you so you can reorder. I often have the courier leave it behind my bins. It’s madness, I have cctv so I can always check if it goes missing.

I've heard you can pick a safe place for Amazon but I've never wanted any parcel left outside as we also have people who live next door to us who like to cause trouble and run in the garden everyday
As an amazon driver myself we can leave parcels at any safe location. We have no idea on the value of the parcel. It’s possible that your parcel could have been stolen by a passer by.
Dealzonwheels12/11/2019 23:25

As an amazon driver myself we can leave parcels at any safe location. We …As an amazon driver myself we can leave parcels at any safe location. We have no idea on the value of the parcel. It’s possible that your parcel could have been stolen by a passer by.

Yes no disrespect to any hard working Amazon driver seems a demanding job ect but isn't there better options like next door or back to depot?
Amazon push us to deliver every single parcel they don’t like to when any come back to the depot. Returns are recorded against drivers and if it happens regularly get the sack. Most drivers will leave in a “safe place” rather than a neighbour because it’s much quicker and we are on a really tight schedule.
What does is actually say on the amazons tracking? If it was returned to the depot and scanned it should say that.
Dealzonwheels12/11/2019 23:25

As an amazon driver myself we can leave parcels at any safe location. We …As an amazon driver myself we can leave parcels at any safe location. We have no idea on the value of the parcel. It’s possible that your parcel could have been stolen by a passer by.

Unfortunately many couriers (not just Amazon) have a rather loose definition of a 'safe' location. In my area no unlocked location is safe.
If it happens more than once they will send you an affidavit to sign ,
Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for delivery knowing they will not be at home. Here's an idea if you order something for delivery make sure there is someone at the delivery location to receive the item. You wouldn't order your grocery shop to arrive at a time you where not at home would you?

Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for …Must be very frustrating for delivery drivers when people order things for delivery knowing they will not be at home. Here's an idea if you order something for delivery make sure there is someone at the delivery location to receive the item. You wouldn't order your grocery shop to arrive at a time you where not at home would you?

But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with amazon drivers .
deleted2172605
at least they left it behind the bin, they often leave mine inside the bin.
KemCol13/11/2019 00:47

But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with …But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with amazon drivers .

Which is why you should make sure someone is home all day. You might have to pay extra for a weekend delivery but that's your problem not Amazon's.

Which is why you should make sure someone is home all day. You might have …Which is why you should make sure someone is home all day. You might have to pay extra for a weekend delivery but that's your problem not Amazon's.

You're meant to enable 'safeplace' on Amazon if you want it left somewhere so at least they have something on their side. 'Making sure someone is at home all day' is overkill if you didn't ask them to leave the parcel somewhere, I should imagine if I didn't say it was ok to leave down the side of the house/bins/whatever that they'd leave a card, take back to depot and attempt delivery at another time. It is definitely Amazon's problem if you've paid for an item and not had it delivered...
I think if you frequently buy online you should have a camera covering your door and any likely place courier drivers are likely to hide packages. It's a small cost for the benefits. Even something like a ring doorbell where you can talk to the driver and just tell him you're busy but can they leave the package with the neighbours, etc
I specifically leave instructions on orders to leave parcels in my bin, recycling bins or at back door

Although I do live in a quiet cul-de-sac, have nosey neighbours and have cctv up overlooking both doors.

If it was something expensive you can have it delivered to one of those yellow amazon locker things can't you??
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 13th Nov
MonkeysUncle13/11/2019 07:46

I specifically leave instructions on orders to leave parcels in my bin, …I specifically leave instructions on orders to leave parcels in my bin, recycling bins or at back door :DAlthough I do live in a quiet cul-de-sac, have nosey neighbours and have cctv up overlooking both doors.If it was something expensive you can have it delivered to one of those yellow amazon locker things can't you??

You can only get small items delivered to those Amazon lockers. I wanted a coat delivered (packs up small) but they said as it's not something like shoe box sized, it can't go there.

Some companies do give you a time slot that could help, but others might have you sitting in all day and then they either don't show or turn up at 6pm when you would have been home from work anyway.

It's a shame Amazon can't let you collect at Argos, Tesco etc. Ok, maybe some conflict of interest there, but I do pick up a few eBay things from local stores during a lunchbreak etc.
I've a depot next to my workplace but you can't get in there to collect anything.
jbecker13/11/2019 05:48

I think if you frequently buy online you should have a camera covering …I think if you frequently buy online you should have a camera covering your door and any likely place courier drivers are likely to hide packages. It's a small cost for the benefits. Even something like a ring doorbell where you can talk to the driver and just tell him you're busy but can they leave the package with the neighbours, etc

I have that too (cameras on the garage, front of house, etc.) but I remember reading from an Amazon employee that sometimes they don't like taking orders from a Ring doorbell or camera as it's still your word against theirs if it goes missing. Most drivers use common sense but I see that some are in a rush to deliver as many items as possible - and it seems like they get the blame for a lot: customers want their items delivered (and not stolen or damaged) and Amazon penalise drivers for not delivering enough and returning items. Must be a tough job, you have to feel for them.
KemCol13/11/2019 00:47

But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with …But you get a time slot when you do your food shopping , you don't with amazon drivers .

Then use an Amazon locker or a click and collect location. Or if able to get delivery to work.
jon81uk13/11/2019 09:33

Then use an Amazon locker or a click and collect location. Or if able to …Then use an Amazon locker or a click and collect location. Or if able to get delivery to work.

But then, some items can't be delivered to lockers. And they don't always send stuff by Amazon couriers.

On the other hand, I ordered some books for my mum, told her specifically when an order was due (I was watching the parcel tracking, and it was in 2 stops time), and the driver put a card through the door, saying it was with a neighbour. They never even tried to deliver it to her.

I'll ring your local supermarket then, inform them that you're happy to pay £5 for parking when visiting on the weekend.
Amazon dumped £50 in gift vouchers on my front doorstep last week. Not only was I in when it was delivered but also it probably would have fitted through my letterbox. Luckily I found them before they were taken but I wasn't impressed.
alg13/11/2019 10:16

But then, some items can't be delivered to lockers. And they don't always …But then, some items can't be delivered to lockers. And they don't always send stuff by Amazon couriers.On the other hand, I ordered some books for my mum, told her specifically when an order was due (I was watching the parcel tracking, and it was in 2 stops time), and the driver put a card through the door, saying it was with a neighbour. They never even tried to deliver it to her.

This has happened to me more than once
Sox7713/11/2019 10:39

Amazon dumped £50 in gift vouchers on my front doorstep last week. Not …Amazon dumped £50 in gift vouchers on my front doorstep last week. Not only was I in when it was delivered but also it probably would have fitted through my letterbox. Luckily I found them before they were taken but I wasn't impressed.

After defending Amazon, I’ve literally just had a driver do this about 10 minutes ago! I’m in, my partner’s in (working from home) and no-one rung our doorbell - just left quite brazenly behind the bin with no card through the door. I thought I heard someone on the gravel drive.
plewis0013/11/2019 12:18

After defending Amazon, I’ve literally just had a driver do this about 10 m …After defending Amazon, I’ve literally just had a driver do this about 10 minutes ago! I’m in, my partner’s in (working from home) and no-one rung our doorbell - just left quite brazenly behind the bin with no card through the door. I thought I heard someone on the gravel drive.

Im guessing the drivers are under pressure to deliver quick so where a signature isn't required they think it will be quicker to ditch and run
obviously drivers fault for leaving it outside in the open but plenty of ways for you to avoid this.

high value item? why not have someone at home or even better deliver it to your work address?
when ordering why not put a delivery note for the delivery man to give it to next door neighbour?

Not as frustrating as ordering something for next day delivery when you are going to be in, only to have the seller change the delivery date after you order, to a day you won't be in.
I ordered something Monday for delivery Tuesday from Amazon. Overnight the delivery changed to 13th-14th. Checking the tracking its not scheduled until the 15th, when I will be out all day, and I will be out the following 2 days when they re-attempt delivery.
rocktoons2813/11/2019 13:08

obviously drivers fault for leaving it outside in the open but plenty of …obviously drivers fault for leaving it outside in the open but plenty of ways for you to avoid this.high value item? why not have someone at home or even better deliver it to your work address? when ordering why not put a delivery note for the delivery man to give it to next door neighbour?

I had to take leave unfortunately as my mother is battling stage 4 cancer so tbf this didn't cross my mind.
Justsuperman13/11/2019 14:07

I had to take leave unfortunately as my mother is battling stage 4 cancer … I had to take leave unfortunately as my mother is battling stage 4 cancer so tbf this didn't cross my mind.

Sorry to hear mate, mom’s more important than parcels anyway!
rocktoons2813/11/2019 14:08

Sorry to hear mate, mom’s more important than parcels anyway!

Cheers mate. yep we only get 1 mother for sure

Bacsue these are all day deliveries and some people have young children that might need to be take or picked up from school?
nadhaw13/11/2019 17:55

Bacsue these are all day deliveries and some people have young children …Bacsue these are all day deliveries and some people have young children that might need to be take or picked up from school?

Best go into a store and by the item yourself then. You having children is not the drivers problem.
alg13/11/2019 10:16

But then, some items can't be delivered to lockers. And they don't always …But then, some items can't be delivered to lockers. And they don't always send stuff by Amazon couriers.On the other hand, I ordered some books for my mum, told her specifically when an order was due (I was watching the parcel tracking, and it was in 2 stops time), and the driver put a card through the door, saying it was with a neighbour. They never even tried to deliver it to her.

Sorry but that makes no sense at all as they even put a card through her door.

If you had said they left with neighbour with no card through your mums door, although frustrating, would make sense but for them to deliver to a neighbour and the original address appears like your mum didn't hear them/was in the loo/was outside in the back when they knocked/rang the bell
I,ve had Amazon leave a box containing my Husbands whey protein on my doorstep with my doormat propped up in front of it to try and hide it
I ordered some Clarks M2 disc brakes for a bike and no card was left. A day or so later I noticed on the amazon site it said it had been delivered and was behind the bin but nothing was there. I contacted Amazon and they refunded me. A day or so later I noticed they added a picture that showed the parcel in the bin but at that point it had already gone to the landfill. Never crossed my mind the parcel would be put in the bin. It was a good offer too from amazon warehouse. Now I check everywhere for where a parcel could be. Another parcel was just left in the rain despite many things nearby which would have shielded it from rain. Wasn't damaged but disappointed with the courier's lack of common sense to say the least.

Amazon warehouse themselves have a huge amount of issues too. Often with items unchecked and nothing like the description, sometimes better sometimes worse. Obviously I never complain when they are better though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants