Amazon - change of charging policy

Posted 23rd Oct
Just a little heads up for anyone who is unaware (as I was until earlier today).
It appears that Amazon have changed their charging policy on orders which are not currently in stock. Before, they did not charge until the item had dispatched, although you may have seen a hold on your bank account initially. At some point recently, they have amended this so that on the fifth day after the order, the payment will actually be taken. I had ordered a fire extinguisher at a decent price, but Oos until January, and I've noticed that I've actually had the payment taken.
Worth noting as many glitches/misprices etc are generally on Oos items. Also, may attract some fraudulent transactions with unscrupulous sellers.
Not a great move Amazon.
Community Updates
Misc
11 Comments
They’ve been doing this a while and it’s been mentioned before I believe.
cmdr_elito23/10/2019 19:03

They’ve been doing this a while and it’s been mentioned before I believe.

Fair enough - I've not noticed, but then again I'm rarely here anymore.
It's the first order I've noticed it on, so it appears to have been a change in the last month or so.
Just quote their own procedures to them, such as:
"If you place an order which will be paid by a payment card, we won't charge the card until the order enters the dispatch process."
amazon.co.uk/gp/…290
AndyRoyd23/10/2019 19:09

Just quote their own procedures to them, such as:"If you place an order …Just quote their own procedures to them, such as:"If you place an order which will be paid by a payment card, we won't charge the card until the order enters the dispatch process."https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201889290

I did that - they said that the policy had been amended as above. I believe they are getting around this by tagging orders as in the 'dispatch stage' after 5 days, even if nothing generally recognised as 'dispatch' has taken place - for example, my fire extinguisher states that it's 'arriving' , Prime, and is estimated to be with me January 4th, 2020.
Edited by: "sixgoldstars" 23rd Oct
Started may 2019
The benefit for us is people can’t ‘hold’ stock if they don’t have the funds. This will mean you should get a more accurate delivery estimate if the item is in high demand.
It’s also more cash in bank for them of course.
Just think of all the interest there making doing this
ashmac23/10/2019 22:42

Just think of all the interest there making doing this

in current economic environment of negative interest rates in the EU for example - it would cost them money to hold your cash rather than make intrest on it.... I would be quite sure this is not really what is driving the change of policy.
I noticed this today I ordered items that are not in stock till end of next month yet it’s taken the full amount from my balance and put it into pending charges
Does this mean that if you place an order and pay in advance that you wouldn’t be charged delivery if you cancelled Prime before dispatch?
I too have had an unpleasant experience with Amazon. I have placed many orders/pre-orders throughout the years & have always been debited when the item is sent. However, I ordered a CD on 3/11 & was surprised to see I had been charged for it on 8/11. NB, actually charged, not a pending preauthorisation. I have spent the last 50 minutes “chatting” with Amazon trying to find out why I was charged when the CD has not yet been sent. End result would seem to be that if an item is out of stock, Amazon now charge the full amount in day 5, even if it has not been sent.

I pointed out this was in contradiction to the t&c on their website & asked for a link to where this new policy was made clear...I was told there was no link but I could have an email confirming it if I wanted. The person I spoke to could not say whether this meant anyone preordering something from now on would be charged on day 5, even if the release date was months in the future.

I am now waiting for further contact from. “Manager”.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants