Amazon charging before dispatch

Posted 20th Aug 2019
Ordered a couple of things from Amazon awhile ago which were out of stock but they would ship once they get the stock in.I have now noticed that I have been charged for them by my bank,money has not been reserved but has been taken.Is this a new policy of theirs
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I had this a couple of weeks ago with something that was out of stock.

I also saw someone else on here that went on live chat and got some free gift balance because of it.
"If you place an order which will be paid by a payment card, we won't charge the card until the order enters the dispatch process."
amazon.co.uk/gp/…290
It looks like they may nothave updated their website as this has been posted a few times now, policy has changed a few weeks ago, it is supposed to tell you when you check out.
Edited by: "eslick" 20th Aug 2019
Had this reply,still not sure of whether it should have been taken or not,still not dispatched.Immediately after you place an order, we now request your bank to authorise the full order amount. At this stage you’re not being charged yet – your bank is reserving the funds until the transaction processes.

We charge the full order amount when all the items included in your order have been shipped. Should an item require more than 5 days for dispatching, your payment method is charged on the fifth day since your order was placed.

This new experience will avoid processing multiple authorisations and charges for the same order.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
ll started back in May I believe.
With the amount of orders they cancel going to be difficult to keep track of payments.Much clearer to take the money when orders are dispatched
misseemoo20/08/2019 10:12

Had this reply,still not sure of whether it should have been taken or …Had this reply,still not sure of whether it should have been taken or not,still not dispatched.Immediately after you place an order, we now request your bank to authorise the full order amount. At this stage you’re not being charged yet – your bank is reserving the funds until the transaction processes. We charge the full order amount when all the items included in your order have been shipped. Should an item require more than 5 days for dispatching, your payment method is charged on the fifth day since your order was placed. This new experience will avoid processing multiple authorisations and charges for the same order. I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

That’s the new policy. If something takes longer than 5 days to dispatch, you’ll be charged on the 5th day after ordering.

The part at the end (about multiple authorisations/charges) is a straight up lie in my experience though. I’ve never once had that happen. Amazon are doing this to gain interest on your money being held in their accounts before they cancel your order a month or two down the line.
AndyRoyd20/08/2019 11:04

...and there was some HUKD discussion at that time about Amazon charging …...and there was some HUKD discussion at that time about Amazon charging for pre-orders https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/amazon-charging-on-pre-orders-3226638

They trialled this on the above terms, however it caused them an absolute nightmare. It didn’t help that they decided to trial it without telling anyone was obviously never going to work out well...
deleted1471098
They now charge when you order, not on despatch.
Biddy220/08/2019 11:03

That’s the new policy. If something takes longer than 5 days to dispatch, y …That’s the new policy. If something takes longer than 5 days to dispatch, you’ll be charged on the 5th day after ordering. The part at the end (about multiple authorisations/charges) is a straight up lie in my experience though. I’ve never once had that happen. Amazon are doing this to gain interest on your money being held in their accounts before they cancel your order a month or two down the line.

doesn't help when they tell you it's a mix up on their system...or such like
Amazon still haven't updated their terms and conditions regarding this issue. I am amazed they are able to get away with it. Order confirmation emails still state that items will only be charged on despatch.

Surely, there are grounds for complaint
Noticed this as well. The full amount is charged and then they refund if cancelled.
PsyCoPat02/12/2019 21:13

Noticed this as well. The full amount is charged and then they refund if …Noticed this as well. The full amount is charged and then they refund if cancelled.

Didn't refund me automatically.

Every time I called them, they said they only take my money on dispatch so no refund. Eventually managed to get through to an Irish call handler who confirmed I was charged and refunded me.

Only way to get round this nightmare is to pay for everything with Giftcard balance.
Speculator24/01/2020 12:29

Didn't refund me automatically.Every time I called them, they said they …Didn't refund me automatically.Every time I called them, they said they only take my money on dispatch so no refund. Eventually managed to get through to an Irish call handler who confirmed I was charged and refunded me.Only way to get round this nightmare is to pay for everything with Giftcard balance.

For whatever reason, Amazon have not briefed their overseas call centres on this latest policy change. It’ll get sorted quick as long as you get someone from the UK/Ireland, but if you run into the overseas customer service, it can be a real pain in the backside. I had to email Executive Customer Relations on my last run in because I was getting nowhere. They sorted it pretty quick.
Must be making them millions in interest
With all the back ordered items
Been waiting 6 weeks for a £345 item.
Still no estimated delivery date.
Their refund times are much longer
now as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants