Amazon charging on pre orders?

Posted 8th May 2019
Just pre ordered Avengers Endgame and Amazon have already taken the money out of my account. When I asked they said this is what they are now doing. I don’t get it but I wont be pre ordering anymore from them if this is the case
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
You still going to pay for it.. so not much difference to me. At least I know I could afford it and don't have to think if I have enough money in the bank
I did a couple of pre orders to get some add on stuff and wasn't charged for them. This just last week.
Amazon don't charge for preorders. I have recently bought a preorder DVD and nothing was deducted from my bank.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…120

amazon.co.uk/gp/…640

If orders are from a Merchant on Amazon, then the money can leave your account immediately.
I did one last week & never got charged a penny.
They did it to me just last week. £800 was locked away from myself and placed on hold. They can’t explain why with any sort of concrete information. Have heard everything from it’s a new policy to them copying and pasting the £1 authorisation help page while ignoring they held £800.

Checked my account today and the £800 was debited and then refunded so was not an authorisation like they claimed it to be.
Predikuesi08/05/2019 09:39

Amazon don't charge for preorders. I have recently bought a preorder DVD …Amazon don't charge for preorders. I have recently bought a preorder DVD and nothing was deducted from my bank.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201380120https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201910060_to_201910640_2?nodeId=201910640If orders are from a Merchant on Amazon, then the money can leave your account immediately.

You say that but they definitely took it from me and when I spoke to them they told me they were trialing this as of now
Rubix7825 m ago

You say that but they definitely took it from me and when I spoke to them …You say that but they definitely took it from me and when I spoke to them they told me they were trialing this as of now

To simplify your shopping experience? That was one of the lines I was fed too.

Although, the top brass didn’t seem to know anything about this trial so I’m not sure how true it really is.

Ok. Seems this is a new policy that will begin rolling out. Just had this email. (Edited my name for obvious reasons)

———————————————————
Dear Mr Biddy,

Thank you for your patience, our billing team have come back to me with the following information.

We're introducing some improvements to payments and authorisations in order to simplify your shopping experience on Amazon.

When you pre-order an item that is yet to be released, we charge you the full order amount when the item gets dispatched. If the shipping date is set after more than five days, that charge occurs on the fifth day since your order was placed.

We’ll dispatch your item as soon as it gets released. You can check updates to your order status, or cancel your order anytime before it gets dispatched, by visiting Your Orders at amazon.co.uk/you…ers.

Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game or software item from Amazon, the price you pay will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time you place your order up to and including the end of the day of the release date. If your order qualifies for the Pre-Order Price Guarantee, you'll be refunded the price difference once your order dispatches.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.”

———————————————————

So in other words, preorders and out of stock items will be charged on the 5th day after placing an order, regardless of the dispatch date. Won’t be preordering from Amazon anymore then.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 8th May 2019
Amazon have been taking money early for preordered games for me. Ordered Sniper Elite V2 and was charged weeks before dispatch. Put in two further preorders and both have been pending for at least a week. Frustrating.
Amazon U.K. are charging for pre orders in full before any release date is given or final price.Just been onto customer services about that con.Ordered game of thrones season 8.They charged me the full estimated price.Have no cancelled and requested they put my money back.Beware.🦊
Did the same to me,only found out when my brother told me after questioning a payment looks like it came into force the beginning of may I’d pre ordered 6 Blu-ray 4K around about the 3rd onwards £140+ taken out of my account....fuming no mention when pre ordering rung up cancelled the lot and refunds being processed.now pre ordered on zoom.co.uk instead....will never pre order anything from amazon again.....apparently there have had a load of calls and cancellations regarding this and his being looked into.....sorry amazon but your flaming crooks Aladdin was one of the 4K I ordered and his showing 3rd june 2020 at minute how can you justify taking money just short of 12 months in ad
I've got this problem as well. I preordered the new Call of Duty when it was announced and a couple days ago the full amount left my bank.

I can't understand why they think it's a good idea to charge people months in advance.

No other website I know does this... It's always assumed if you preorder a product you get charged when the item is in stock!

It's got no mention of the early charge anywhere and it took 4 emails to Amazon to finally get an answer.

Just out of spite I've cancelled the order and hopefully it costs Amazon to process the refund as it shouldn't be coming out of the bank when the game is released in October.
jordan.mcqueen11/06/2019 14:17

I've got this problem as well. I preordered the new Call of Duty when it …I've got this problem as well. I preordered the new Call of Duty when it was announced and a couple days ago the full amount left my bank.I can't understand why they think it's a good idea to charge people months in advance. No other website I know does this... It's always assumed if you preorder a product you get charged when the item is in stock! It's got no mention of the early charge anywhere and it took 4 emails to Amazon to finally get an answer. Just out of spite I've cancelled the order and hopefully it costs Amazon to process the refund as it shouldn't be coming out of the bank when the game is released in October.

Id be interested to see how long it takes the money to get back in your account
Rubix7812/06/2019 06:18

Id be interested to see how long it takes the money to get back in your …Id be interested to see how long it takes the money to get back in your account

Well I cancelled the order early Monday when the full amount went out and I got the money back in my account this morning.

So I can't really moan about that! Still... They shouldn't be taking money for preorders months in advance.
Just wanted to bring this back to peoples attention as I just got charged £14.99 for pre ordering hobs and shaw and I just had it confirmed amazon have changed there policy on pre orders but there website has not been updated to reflect this I don’t know how they stand on a legal stand point but they now do charge for pre orders
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants