Amazon completes its first drone-powered delivery in the UK 'Amazon Prime Air'

Editor 33 replies
Found 14th Dec 2016
http://i.imgur.com/sOdsmWX.jpg
Amazon Prime Air Video

Amazon's video about the project says that it's only servicing a few customers in the area right now, but will soon be open to dozens more who live within a few miles of the Cambridge fulfillment center. Naturally, this center is custom-built to handle these types of orders -- once an order is placed and packaged up, the drone is loaded up and sent out from the facility on a motorized track. From takeoff, it flies at heights up to 400 feet to make the delivery and then return to the facility.

This Cambridge beta program has been in the works for a long time now; recently it was revealed that Amazon has been operating a secret lab in the area to get ready for the launch of Prime Air. Amazon's page detailing this first delivery notes that the company also has Prime Air labs in the US, Austria and Israel as well as the United Kingdom, so we may hear news about test deliveries in those areas sooner or later as well.

Is this science fiction or is this real?
It looks like science fiction, but it's real. One day, seeing Prime Air vehicles will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road.

How will it work?

Amazon Prime Air is a service that will deliver packages up to five pounds in 30 minutes or less using small drones.

How are you going to ensure safety?
Safety is our top priority. Our vehicles will be built with multiple redundancies, as well as sophisticated “sense and avoid” technology. Additionally, through our private trial in the UK, we will gather data to continue improving the safety and reliability of our systems and operations.

When will I be able to choose Prime Air as a delivery option?
We will deploy when and where we have the regulatory support needed to safely realize our vision. We’re excited about this technology and one day using it to deliver packages to customers around the world in 30 minutes or less.

What will the Prime Air delivery vehicles look like?
We are testing many different vehicle designs and delivery mechanisms to discover how best to deliver packages in a variety of operating environments. The look and characteristics of the vehicles will continue to evolve over time.

Where are you building and testing?
We have Prime Air development centers in the United States, the United Kingdom, Austria and Israel. We are testing the vehicles in multiple international locations.

How will Amazon integrate Prime Air vehicles into the airspace?
We believe the airspace is safest when small drones are separated from most manned aircraft traffic, and where airspace access is determined by capabilities.

Can you tell me more about the private trial you launched in the UK?
It’s an exciting new development. Through this private customer trial, we will gather data to continue improving the safety and reliability of our systems and operations, bringing us one step closer to realizing this amazing innovation for all our customers.

What kind of weather will you operate in during the trial?
We are currently permitted to operate during daylight hours when there are low winds and good visibility, but not in rain, snow or icy conditions. Once we’ve gathered data to improve the safety and reliability of our systems and operations, we will expand the envelope.

Will you run similar trials in other countries?

We are working with regulators and policymakers in various countries in order to make Prime Air a reality for our customers around the world, and expect to continue to do so.

33 Comments

Got to be better than Hermes!

robots are taking over the world oO

may aswell recieve your expensive goods from the air as they already get lobbed over your back fence if you dont answer the door within 10 seconds X)

They don't operate in rain, but they want to deploy it in the UK!

drasim

They don't operate in rain, but they want to deploy it in the UK!

Can't see the problem.

http://a68.tinypic.com/2yo5w6f.jpg

All over as soon as one crashes....which will happen.

could have a new wave of youthful gangs shooting these out of the air & stealing the goods. just saying it's open to abuse

Saro

could have a new wave of youthful gangs shooting these out of the air & … could have a new wave of youthful gangs shooting these out of the air & stealing the goods. just saying it's open to abuse

​order's a 2.2 air gun

typical. No lessons learned from Amazon Logistics. Poor customer has to still go out and get
the package. X)

Can't see it working out in London.

how will it deliver my snooker table and my wifes washing machine by xmas

highlander1965

how will it deliver my snooker table and my wifes washing machine by xmas

[img]qph.ec.quoracdn.net/mai…819?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

thewongwing101

[img]https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-607eb14e6b4f47cc1102b8c1ac97b819?convert_to_webp=true[/img]

wheres it gonna land I live in a flat

Banned

Good for a packet of pingpong balls if the flight time is less than 20 minutes.

highlander1965

wheres it gonna land I live in a flat

On the snooker table ?
no hang on....

Saro

could have a new wave of youthful gangs shooting these out of the air & … could have a new wave of youthful gangs shooting these out of the air & stealing the goods. just saying it's open to abuse

​all the kids will want a nice air rifle off santa when this starts.

I would imagine this is type of delivery is only going to be available to the upper classes with large gardens where the drone can safely land. This is not going to work on most housing estates, the youths will see the drone arriving in someone's front garden and try to grab or disable the drone before it takes off.

POWYSWALES

I would imagine this is type of delivery is only going to be available to … I would imagine this is type of delivery is only going to be available to the upper classes with large gardens where the drone can safely land. This is not going to work on most housing estates, the youths will see the drone arriving in someone's front garden and try to grab or disable the drone before it takes off.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/catapult-slingshot-isolated-white-background-kid-hand-pulling-60130424.jpg
Edited by: "splender" 14th Dec 2016

ashmac

​order's a 2.2 air gun

You will find these will have "The Eye" remote viewing of surroundings with massive parallel computers AI to identify the enemies and phototograph the perpetrators with UHD cameras.

In some eutopian world I'm sure this would work brilliantly. But these things won't last 5 minutes.

How long before there is a Youtube channel for best drone kill?

splender

You will find these will have "The Eye" remote viewing of surroundings … You will find these will have "The Eye" remote viewing of surroundings with massive parallel computers AI to identify the enemies and phototograph the perpetrators with UHD cameras.

​and the kid with the rock will have a hoodie.

Bottle of bourbon delivered by air in 30 mins. Sweet!

splender

You will find these will have "The Eye" remote viewing of surroundings … You will find these will have "The Eye" remote viewing of surroundings with massive parallel computers AI to identify the enemies and phototograph the perpetrators with UHD cameras.

orders air gun and full camouflage gear including camo cream and laser light fixing to dazzle onboard camera before shooting

I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career
Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Dec 2016

wow. amazing if this does work.
what is the probability that a parcel may fall on top of your head as you walk along and one of these fly past you?

mutley1

wow. amazing if this does work.what is the probability that a parcel may … wow. amazing if this does work.what is the probability that a parcel may fall on top of your head as you walk along and one of these fly past you?

Is that technically delivered and you get to keep the goods?

badgerrules

Is that technically delivered and you get to keep the goods?

i think you would be entitled to keep the goods as compensation

splender

​orders 1 balaclava

colin4man

​and the kid with the rock will have a hoodie.

By then Amazon would have done a deal with the government to ban the wearing of hoodies as a criminal offence." And with TTIP the US courts could try the thugs to protect American companies' business interests.
Or, there will be Amazon Judge Dredd drones or some transatlantic drone policemen patrolling the air and can follow perpetrators well trialled in Afghanistan and Syria , may be with crime ink pellet marker guns.
Edited by: "splender" 15th Dec 2016

ashmac

​orders 1 balaclava

Lesson learnt by Amazon, recruits Afghan drone veterans to control drone police squads. AI to hone in your balaclava, possibly fire a quantanamo orange paint pellet to mark you, then follow you home.

splender

By then Amazon would have done a deal with the government to ban the … By then Amazon would have done a deal with the government to ban the wearing of hoodies as a criminal offence." And with TTIP the US courts could try the thugs to protect American companies' business interests.Or, there will be Amazon Judge Dredd drones or some transatlantic drone policemen patrolling the air and can follow perpetrators well trialled in Afghanistan and Syria , may be with crime ink pellet marker guns.

​but by then there will be spay on face masks of Splender which the kids will use and paint resistant coats which can also 'cloak' the assailant from view.

mutley1

wow. amazing if this does work.what is the probability that a parcel may … wow. amazing if this does work.what is the probability that a parcel may fall on top of your head as you walk along and one of these fly past you?

how often do you have plane parts fall on your head?

mutley1

I think you'll be fine mutters as it will avoid the permanent black cloud above your head and in any case, your tin foil hat will protect you
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games1014
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18236669
    3. Any PS4 News Here29313903
    4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)72570

See more discussions