Posted 27th Nov 2021
We had this today for the first time. Never heard of it!

The driver refused to give my Mrs one of my two parcels today as she didn't have the password. Seemed bonkers as he happily gave her the other one.

Anyone else had this yet?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
It has been their policy to require a password for delivery of higher value items for some time.......
It’s a great system. Had it for the first time the other day, gave him the pin and got my packages, simple process. It’ll help stop high value packages suddenly becoming lost!
37 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Did the second parcel contain a high value item?
  2. Avatar
    I had that a few months ago for a robot vacuum delivery.
  3. Avatar
    Author
    HappyShopper27/11/2021 17:59

Did the second parcel contain a high value item?

Yeah it was a phone, but I've had ipads, laptops etc all from them and not come across it before. My Mrs said, mate you've just given me this one and it has the same details on it
  4. Avatar
    It has been their policy to require a password for delivery of higher value items for some time.......
  5. Avatar
    It's been in place for a while now (6 months ish). It is very prominent on the email you get when it's out for delivery and it's also on the tracking on the app
  6. Avatar
    I think the magic word is abra cadabra
  7. Avatar
    itsdavidjones198427/11/2021 18:00

Yeah it was a phone, but I've had ipads, laptops etc all from them and not …Yeah it was a phone, but I've had ipads, laptops etc all from them and not come across it before. My Mrs said, mate you've just given me this one and it has the same details on it

That doesn't mean she was the intended recipient, just that Amazon are willing to take the loss on whatever was in that other box.

I've had something not too dissimilar with Amazon for buying knives (kitchen, not ninja) and having to prove my year of birth.
  8. Avatar
    They have to type the password into the scanner which confirms it is correct. They are not being daft. You should receive it either on email or in your orders in the app
  9. Avatar
    Had this on a ps5, gave password item delivered 😁
  10. Avatar
    I had a MacBook delivered last week, I had several emails telling me that I would get a “one time password” that I’d have to give you the delivery driver as it was required for this purchase.
  11. Avatar
    But you must of set the password up yourselves?
  12. Avatar
    One time passcode you get email or find on your account. both myself and my partner ordered the exact same iPad. They were both delivered same time, same driver .. mine had a code, his didn't..
    Edited by: "optrex10" 27th Nov 2021
  13. Avatar
    Good idea in theory.
    Just like age verification on alcohol.
    Except when you don’t have a passport and your license is off getting renewed at dvla.
    Plus the wife has no photo I’d.
  14. Avatar
    It was introduced to prevent fraud. Too many unscrupulous folk contacting Amazon claiming they didn't receive their high value goods.

You'll have received an email about this.
  15. Avatar
    It’s a great system. Had it for the first time the other day, gave him the pin and got my packages, simple process. It’ll help stop high value packages suddenly becoming lost!
  16. Avatar
    bigwheels27/11/2021 18:53

Good idea in theory.Just like age verification on alcohol.Except when you …Good idea in theory.Just like age verification on alcohol.Except when you don’t have a passport and your license is off getting renewed at dvla.Plus the wife has no photo I’d.

They've changed that policy now. If you look over 25, they just need to input your year of birth into the app, but if under 25 then you still need to show ID
  17. Avatar
    Sounds like a great idea to me, should put a stop to the denial of receiving my item scammers, absolutely no problem whatsoever to genuine honest people.
  18. Avatar
    Yep had it when ordering a phone with Amazon

You just give them the pin they send you.
  19. Avatar
    It's been around for ages, nothing new.
  20. Avatar
    I'll add something else to the discussion, Amazon own deliveries are well known for sneaking up and just dumping the parcel on your doorstep, anyway have they finally conceded that it's better and more cost effective in the long run to spend a bit more time and have confirmed delivery to the intended recipient rather than paying out compensation etc for items not received.

Presumably having to quote a pin number means delivery is only possible if the recipient is in so is this system only applicable to higher value items, meaning lower value stuff still being left on doorsteps so less than honest folk can still pretend they haven't received items.
    Edited by: "luke.o.zade" 27th Nov 2021
  21. Avatar

Yeah it was a phone, but I've had ipads, laptops etc all from them and not …Yeah it was a phone, but I've had ipads, laptops etc all from them and not come across it before. My Mrs said, mate you've just given me this one and it has the same details on it

Isnt that simple!! His device is asking for a pin for the other item. Courier doesnt know the pin. He cant deliver the item without a valid pin.
  22. Avatar
    Author
    Guys I'm not looking for deep meaningful convo here and most of my replies are jokes hence the laughing faces.

Im old enough to understand the logic behind it.
  23. Avatar
    They were using these last year as well for Xbox and PS5 orders. Codes are usually sent via email on day of delivery. Used for high value items (even had it for Lego once but it was pricey) to give them a measure of guarantee that it's a correct recipient and also I guess to stop drivers nicking them because they can only be "delivered" with a code.

Even if it's the same recipient on both parcels Amazon won't be bothered about the lower value item so they can take the risk.
  24. Avatar
    Didn't they introduce this because their drivers stole most of the ps5's they sent out ? Or was it being used before that ?
  25. Avatar
    optrex1027/11/2021 18:48

One time passcode you get email or find on your account. both myself and …One time passcode you get email or find on your account. both myself and my partner ordered the exact same iPad. They were both delivered same time, same driver .. mine had a code, his didn't..

Your partner is known to be trustworthy. You, on the other hand...
  26. Avatar
    matthews947927/11/2021 18:04

I think the magic word is abra cadabra

Abracadabra is the word dishonest Hermes drivers use to make your delivery disappear.

I used to work for them and several Christmas temps were very bad. 😔
  27. Avatar
    Mark_Hickman27/11/2021 20:41

Didn't they introduce this because their drivers stole most of the ps5's …Didn't they introduce this because their drivers stole most of the ps5's they sent out ? Or was it being used before that ?

Yeah pretty sure they only added once news outlets starting posting video proof of drivers marking PS5 as "delivered" but driving off lol
  28. Avatar
    No big deal. Just use abracadabra.
  29. Avatar
    When I was younger my mum told me the magic word was 'please'. Has anyone tried that?
  30. Avatar
    Pandamansays27/11/2021 21:44

When I was younger my mum told me the magic word was 'please'. Has anyone …When I was younger my mum told me the magic word was 'please'. Has anyone tried that?

my mum told me the magic word was money
  31. Avatar
    I have had this happen a couple of times, I think it's usually with higher value items or items that could be high target for theives.
  32. Avatar
    My example was for an external ssd drive
  33. Avatar
    Who even reads your emails from Amazon? I tend to order and item and forget about it until it arrives (or doesn't if that happens).
  34. Avatar
    Just had this for the first time, I never read e-mails from Amazon, took me completely off guard. Worst still I couldn't find the e-mail or any message on my phone. Had to contact customer services while the guy was here. Total balls up. Even worse, a group of teenage lads were hanging about on the wall outside, listening to the whole thing.
  35. Avatar
    Author
    StudentGrant27/11/2021 18:02

It has been their policy to require a password for delivery of higher …It has been their policy to require a password for delivery of higher value items for some time.......

Clearly some of us don’t order higher value items all the time lol
  36. Avatar

As others have said it's been brought in for high value items to avoid them going walkabout.

If drivers were allowed to deliver 2 items without the recipient giving the details for the high value one guess what the scammers will do next...yep, order a low value item and a high value item...

Drivers cannot deliver the item without the recipient giving the code which has been sent via text/email.

Great system IMO.
Post a comment