Expired

Amazon don't include vat in listings?

Found 12th MarEdited by:"jumpinoffthbed"
Was anyone else unaware that not all Amazon listings include vat and they don't even show vat at checkout?
I just put a dozen things in my basket and did a rough estimate of 64 as the total, when it got to the buy it now button the total was over £67. I did a proper add up of everything listed cos I'm usually pretty good with estimates and the Amazon total was nearly £3 over.
After chatting online to an Indian guy then being called by an American woman it turns out some of the items didn't include vat on the listing. She did say this is stated somewhere on the page but after looking I don't think it is. Even on your order history the prices are shown without the vat!
I shouldn't be surprised that Amazon carry on like this, but now I know they're not even transparent with their prices I'm even more determined to shop elsewhere.

*** why can't I post a picture.
Community Updates
Misc
58 Comments
I have been buying from Amazon for over 15 years and have never been charged more than the stated price for the goods I bought. All good bought from within the UK are inclusive of VAT, but those purchased from other Amazon stores might cost more VAT.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…760
The extra wasn’t vat.

It was probably p&p from a 3rd party seller.
P.S. VAT is 20% so the rate on £64 would have made it £76.80.

You just didnt realise the p&p rates.

Next time double check the p&p and checkout prices.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 12th Mar
Original Poster
sicklysweet1 h, 1 m ago

P.S. VAT is 20% so the rate on £64 would have made it £76.80. You just d …P.S. VAT is 20% so the rate on £64 would have made it £76.80. You just didnt realise the p&p rates.Next time double check the p&p and checkout prices.

It wasn't p&p I'm not an imbecile. As I said, I spoke to someone who told me it was vat.
Not every item, but some (I believe the ones coming from Europe) had vat applied at checkout. The woman has sent me an email of the breakdown.

I have since read an online article in the guardian about Amazon and eBay not insisting companies give vat information to customers which is against EU rules.
jumpinoffthbed4 m ago

It wasn't p&p I'm not an imbecile. As I said, I spoke to someone who told …It wasn't p&p I'm not an imbecile. As I said, I spoke to someone who told me it was vat.Not every item, but some (I believe the ones coming from Europe) had vat applied at checkout. The woman has sent me an email of the breakdown.I have since read an online article in the guardian about Amazon and eBay not insisting companies give vat information to customers which is against EU rules.

How about posting a couple of examples to prove your point
Original Poster
Predikuesi3 h, 43 m ago

I have been buying from Amazon for over 15 years and have never been …I have been buying from Amazon for over 15 years and have never been charged more than the stated price for the goods I bought. All good bought from within the UK are inclusive of VAT, but those purchased from other Amazon stores might cost more VAT.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201895760

That link sums it up. I'm just surprised they can get away with not mentioning vat will be added on the listings pages or give an actual total including vat for individual items if you have several in your basket, at any stage.
jumpinoffthbed2 m ago

That link sums it up. I'm just surprised they can get away with not …That link sums it up. I'm just surprised they can get away with not mentioning vat will be added on the listings pages or give an actual total including vat for individual items if you have several in your basket, at any stage.

Can we have a look? The HUKD investigative team can't work without materials.
jumpinoffthbed1 h, 34 m ago

That link sums it up. I'm just surprised they can get away with not …That link sums it up. I'm just surprised they can get away with not mentioning vat will be added on the listings pages or give an actual total including vat for individual items if you have several in your basket, at any stage.

When was the last time you bought a loaf or bread from Tesco and saw the VAT listed on the label? Like Amazon, they work on the principle that VAT is included in the stated price. As I mentioned above, I have never seen what your are describing, but suspect that something else is going on. I don't think anyone here is going to understand what you are referring to unless you provide examples on Amazon of additional VAT.

BTW, Amazon does in fact state what the VAT is on the items you have in your basket if you need the breakdown.
33424829-rJleR.jpg
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 12th Mar
jumpinoffthbed1 h, 42 m ago

It wasn't p&p I'm not an imbecile. As I said, I spoke to someone who told …It wasn't p&p I'm not an imbecile. As I said, I spoke to someone who told me it was vat.Not every item, but some (I believe the ones coming from Europe) had vat applied at checkout. The woman has sent me an email of the breakdown.I have since read an online article in the guardian about Amazon and eBay not insisting companies give vat information to customers which is against EU rules.

Amazon ‘support’ often fobs you off with an answer (whether it’s right or wrong) to get you off the online chat/phone.

The amount of rubbish the amazon ‘support’ people have spouted to me over the years is ridiculous.

I’d love to see your confirmation to see this VAT anomaly as it’s not something I’ve ever seen or even heard of. The additional p&p from third party sellers is however quite common.
sicklysweet9 m ago

Amazon ‘support’ often fobs you off with an answer (whether it’s right or w …Amazon ‘support’ often fobs you off with an answer (whether it’s right or wrong) to get you off the online chat/phone. The amount of rubbish the amazon ‘support’ people have spouted to me over the years is ridiculous. I’d love to see your confirmation to see this VAT anomaly as it’s not something I’ve ever seen or even heard of. The additional p&p from third party sellers is however quite common.

I wonder if this is the issue here. Amazon often have items included as selling from a third party. When postage and packaging in incurred that too is subject to VAT.
@jumpinoffthbed

What you wrote, this , "and they don't even show vat at checkout?" is not true.

On the Amazon checkout screen, just below "Order Total", there is a click "See details" , here you see the total VAT (but no itemised VAT).

However there are lots of items, I noticed mainly low cost items, have no VAT at all. They are VAT exempt, I don't know why though. I put £100 worth of stuff, SD adapters, book stands, 32GB Sandisk SD Card, all under £20, the VAT Is £0 under the £100 worth of total amount. However for a hard disk of £100, there is VAT displayed at checkout (click on order details).
£60 worth sold by Amazon UK, and about £40 worth from Market-traders as the order details split them up and display the post and packaging and VAT separate, both are showing as VAT=£0.

I don't know how Amazon does it, they sure do optimise VAT to zero, some of it is to do with where item is shipped from, whether seller is VAT registered, all those EU and international VAT exempt rules and special concessions made to Amazon. Much like how Picstop, Mymemory etc. still can low cost items with no VAT by bring abroad somewhere.
Edited by: "splender" 12th Mar
I'd like to know why every time I buy something on amazon, they put a £1 charge on my account that stays there for 10-14 days. No other company does this. Does anyone else get that?
splatsplatsplat53 s ago

I'd like to know why every time I buy something on amazon, they put a £1 …I'd like to know why every time I buy something on amazon, they put a £1 charge on my account that stays there for 10-14 days. No other company does this. Does anyone else get that?

Not me.
splatsplatsplat19 m ago

I'd like to know why every time I buy something on amazon, they put a £1 …I'd like to know why every time I buy something on amazon, they put a £1 charge on my account that stays there for 10-14 days. No other company does this. Does anyone else get that?

No.
I have only had that when using a new credit card with some companies, but it only happens for the first purchase
deleted1166706
splatsplatsplat29 m ago

Best guess - Pre-authorisation for security checks against the billing address as you don’t enter a CSV for your card on Amazon.

You’ll notice other services, such as identity checks, often debit £1 into a pre authorised state, it allows the confirmation of your details without taking the whole amount first
splatsplatsplat1 h, 9 m ago

I noticed that before when I used prime now.
Ive had generic cut & paste reply from amazon saying the money doesnt come out (I know this) but as I am a regular customer I always have these charges hovering in my bank account for weeks. I have 2 atm. They won't stop them.

The only way around it that I can see, is to buy gift cards in wilko/tesco and use them.
splatsplatsplat7 m ago

Ive had generic cut & paste reply from amazon saying the money doesnt come …Ive had generic cut & paste reply from amazon saying the money doesnt come out (I know this) but as I am a regular customer I always have these charges hovering in my bank account for weeks. I have 2 atm. They won't stop them.The only way around it that I can see, is to buy gift cards in wilko/tesco and use them.

That explains a few anomalies I’ve spied. Not too fussed about it. I have been making a few high value purchases recently.
I guess they are just running random checks.
Bit of a misleading title to say Amazon don't include vat in listings. What you are saying is some sellers from abroad may not include vat in their listings. Not quite the same thing
deeky4 h, 23 m ago

Can we have a look? The HUKD investigative team can't work without …Can we have a look? The HUKD investigative team can't work without materials.

Your material was exhausted last millennium.
jumpinoffthbed4 h, 35 m ago

What about sellers outside the European Union, or those sellers that are not VAT registered (within the UK)?
fanpages12th Mar

Your material was exhausted last millennium.

Was it?
OP I can't quite see what your real issue is. It's not like you were committed to the order prior to noting the price differential. Quite clearly what you state I'm even more determined to shop elsewhere there's more to this.
Down with Amazon.
splatsplatsplat3 h, 6 m ago

Yep I get it. Very annoying when trying to keep an eye on every penny in my bank account too as it leaves me wondering where those amounts were spent.

I understand companies doing it to test your card on your first order but doing it on repeat orders is just ridiculous.
Have never had an Amazon UK item not include VAT in the listing. The only Amazon site I am aware of that doesn’t include tax, is the US site due to their states having different amounts. There, it gets added at checkout.

Within the EU, they all include VAT. I’ve just made an order from Amazon Japan and they removed the sales tax off the item at checkout and applied the VAT amount for the UK.

OP, can you provide us with a link to a product that doesn’t include VAT?
I think you're wasting your breath biddy. You're about the 4th person to ask.

Maybe it's a Fleshlight or summat
Wasn't there a recent option to view prices with/without VAT for business customers?
By law, anything sold to the public, in the UK has to have VAT included in the price, if applicable. Any seller not doing so is acting illegally. How it's done, is laid out in the following.

gra.gov.gy/pub…ive
Edited by: "gazjon" 12th Mar
Original Poster
deeky6 h, 41 m ago

Can we have a look? The HUKD investigative team can't work without …Can we have a look? The HUKD investigative team can't work without materials.

Is there a secret to posting a picture on here because I'm not having any luck
deeky6 h, 41 m ago

Original Poster
Predikuesi5 h, 27 m ago

When was the last time you bought a loaf or bread from Tesco and saw the …When was the last time you bought a loaf or bread from Tesco and saw the VAT listed on the label? Like Amazon, they work on the principle that VAT is included in the stated price. As I mentioned above, I have never seen what your are describing, but suspect that something else is going on. I don't think anyone here is going to understand what you are referring to unless you provide examples on Amazon of additional VAT.BTW, Amazon does in fact state what the VAT is on the items you have in your basket if you need the breakdown.[Image]

You know the final price in tesco including vat from the start. You're not understanding what I'm saying.
Original Poster
splender5 h, 3 m ago

@jumpinoffthbed What you wrote, this , "and they don't even show vat at …@jumpinoffthbed What you wrote, this , "and they don't even show vat at checkout?" is not true.On the Amazon checkout screen, just below "Order Total", there is a click "See details" , here you see the total VAT (but no itemised VAT)..

BINGO! No itemised VAT.
It's not on the listings page where you look at the item, it's only when you get to the final checkout page theres a button you can click to show if there's any vat added. And if you have multiple items, you won't know which ones are having vat added so you can't know the final price of each item.
gazjon42 m ago

By law, anything sold to the public, in the UK has to have VAT included in …By law, anything sold to the public, in the UK has to have VAT included in the price, if applicable. Any seller not doing so is acting illegally. How it's done, is laid out in the following.http://www.gra.gov.gy/publications/notices/157-correct-use-of-the-terms-vat-inclusive-and-exclusive

As I mentioned above... if registered for VAT (within the UK).

Not every Amazon Marketplace seller is UK based or based within the European Union.
Not every Amazon Marketplace seller is registered for VAT.

Sellers that have their business' country of establishment outside of the European Union, & do not store their stock inventory within the European Union, are not required to be VAT registered.

Hence, VAT will not be itemised within invoices.
jumpinoffthbed15 m ago

BINGO! No itemised VAT.It's not on the listings page where you look at the …BINGO! No itemised VAT.It's not on the listings page where you look at the item, it's only when you get to the final checkout page theres a button you can click to show if there's any vat added. And if you have multiple items, you won't know which ones are having vat added so you can't know the final price of each item.

Typical of splender to hit the nail on the head.
jumpinoffthbed20 m ago

BINGO! No itemised VAT.It's not on the listings page where you look at the …BINGO! No itemised VAT.It's not on the listings page where you look at the item, it's only when you get to the final checkout page theres a button you can click to show if there's any vat added. And if you have multiple items, you won't know which ones are having vat added so you can't know the final price of each item.

Yes they do provide itemisation.

33426565-qK9pI.jpg

Click that, select the invoice and it shows you the VAT breakdown per item.

33426565-HyBWl.jpg
The price on the listing page, is the price you pay at checkout and includes all taxes. I’m not sure what your issue is here if I am honest.
Original Poster
Biddy220 m ago

Yes they do provide itemisation. [Image] Click that, select the invoice …Yes they do provide itemisation. [Image] Click that, select the invoice and it shows you the VAT breakdown per item.[Image] The price on the listing page, is the price you pay at checkout and includes all taxes. I’m not sure what your issue is here if I am honest.

You're invoice is from after purchase. I'm talking about the process of buying, it's not transparent is my issue.
jumpinoffthbed3 m ago

You're invoice is from after purchase. I'm talking about the process of …You're invoice is from after purchase. I'm talking about the process of buying, it's not transparent is my issue.

how about the link to the item(s) ?
jumpinoffthbed21 m ago

You're invoice is from after purchase. I'm talking about the process of …You're invoice is from after purchase. I'm talking about the process of buying, it's not transparent is my issue.

Lots of websites do the same as Amazon.
deeky2 h, 49 m ago

I think you're wasting your breath biddy. You're about the 4th person to …I think you're wasting your breath biddy. You're about the 4th person to ask.Maybe it's a Fleshlight or summat

deeky31 m ago

how about the link to the item(s) ?

"Fleshlight"?

33426895-mpX8c.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants