Amazon Echo (Alexa) users... What are the best things to connect?!

Found 16th Nov 2017Edited by:"deleted434948"
Hi folks,

I've just purchased two Amazon Echo devices, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

My question is....

What do you actually get most benefit from?

I have Hive installed already, so that will be handy by the looks of things.

I am aware that light bulbs and strips are good, and I have seen the Xaiomi branded products getting some heat on here, would you recommend anything in particular?

I use an iPhone, and stream from Apple Music because I get it half price (£4.99pm) rather than spotify or Amazon, should I consider changing?

Etc

Given I was going to purchase wireless speakers that would connect together and play my music in different rooms, and these where on sale in numerous shops.

Any general hints and tips from people using them already would be much appreciated also.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I have my Alexa devices connected to my NEST and works well.
Daft but makes me happy.
deleted434948
GlasgowPTFC8 m ago

I have my Alexa devices connected to my NEST and works well.Daft but makes …I have my Alexa devices connected to my NEST and works well.Daft but makes me happy.

I'm a Hive user so hopefully it works as well for me as it does you then!

Anything else you find it handy for?

Other than checking the Thistle scores
I have automated lights, appliances and my central heating/hot water using Sonoff products which are controlled by an Alexa skill (as well as a phone app).

banggood.com/sea…tml

Have also bought a Broadlink RM Pro to control IR signals (TV and Virgin Box) and RF devices (remote sockets, LED candles etc). The RM Pro can also be controlled by Alexa - various vidoes on Youtube showing how to do it.
deleted434948
Van197312 m ago

I have automated lights, appliances and my central heating/hot water using …I have automated lights, appliances and my central heating/hot water using Sonoff products which are controlled by an Alexa skill (as well as a phone app). https://www.banggood.com/search/sonoff/0-0-0-1-2-45-0-price-0-0_p-1.htmlHave also bought a Broadlink RM Pro to control IR signals (TV and Virgin Box) and RF devices (remote sockets, LED candles etc). The RM Pro can also be controlled by Alexa - various vidoes on Youtube showing how to do it.

So, already got the heating sorted, but the lightbulbs might be of interest, will have a look, thanks.

As for the Broadlink RM Pro, all honesty, I have no idea what it is or does, if you've got time feel free to enlighten me!
deleted43494816th Nov 2017

I'm a Hive user so hopefully it works as well for me as it does you …I'm a Hive user so hopefully it works as well for me as it does you then!Anything else you find it handy for?Other than checking the Thistle scores

U must ask taps aff for the weather
You do need to invest some time to research the options and how these 'things' all work and interface with each other. But once you do that it is amazing what home automation can now be achieved very cheaply!

These are two very good videos that will get you started.

Have a look at Paul Hibbert's videos - he has lots of suggestions on home automation and also how to expand the use of Alexa - particularly the Google skill.

If you don't have the time or inclination to understand this stuff then you're best off buying the hubs/kits - as although more expensive they are more plug and play type. Stuff like Logitech Harmony, Ikea stuff etc. Seperate componemts are cheaper and potentially more flexible but require more set up.
deleted434948
Van19733 m ago

You do need to invest some time to research the options and how these …You do need to invest some time to research the options and how these 'things' all work and interface with each other. But once you do that it is amazing what home automation can now be achieved very cheaply!These are two very good videos that will get you started. [Video] Have a look at Paul Hibbert's videos - he has lots of suggestions on home automation and also how to expand the use of Alexa - particularly the Google skill.[Video] If you don't have the time or inclination to understand this stuff then you're best off buying the hubs/kits - as although more expensive they are more plug and play type. Stuff like Logitech Harmony, Ikea stuff etc. Seperate componemts are cheaper and potentially more flexible but require more set up.

Not gonna pretend i'm techy minded in any way mate, but I don't mind trying my hand at stuff. However that guys seems like a bit of a wizard so i'm gonna hold my hands up and say its too much!!

You mention Logitech Harmony, would that be for some means of controlling TV, Sky Box etc?
deleted43494816th Nov 2017

Not gonna pretend i'm techy minded in any way mate, but I don't mind …Not gonna pretend i'm techy minded in any way mate, but I don't mind trying my hand at stuff. However that guys seems like a bit of a wizard so i'm gonna hold my hands up and say its too much!!You mention Logitech Harmony, would that be for some means of controlling TV, Sky Box etc?

Harmony - yes. I don't have one but I understand it is a bit simpler to use than the Broadink.

There is also a Facebook group which is useful to scan for informaton etc - facebook.com/gro…uk/
deleted434948
Van197316 h, 22 m ago

Harmony - yes. I don't have one but I understand it is a bit simpler to …Harmony - yes. I don't have one but I understand it is a bit simpler to use than the Broadink.There is also a Facebook group which is useful to scan for informaton etc - https://www.facebook.com/groups/alexafansuk/

Great stuff mate, will give it a look.
My Alexa is sulking and hasn’t spoken to me for weeks...
I use Alexa with my hue lights and think they're fantastic.
deleted434948
sicklysweet18th Nov

I use Alexa with my hue lights and think they're fantastic.

I was considering these, but thought I might opt for the Xaoimi cheaper option which seems to achieve the same thing.

The main reason being that some of my lamps etc had the little LEDs in them, so i'm shopping for lamps and light fixtures too! haha
deleted434948
Bump in the hope of more suggestions....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants