Amazon Echo discussion thread

So I know its early days, but have to say I really like the Echo.
Sound quality isn't too bad
Understanding of requests is very good
Spotify works great on it
Hive took a little setting up but works OK
Cant wait until more aps and skills are enabled

What does everyone else think?????

52 Comments

Nice thread. Hope it's busy and there are some experts here X)

I've got my lights coming on and off (Philips Hue). Can set different groups, ie 'turn on lounge' turns all on. another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I leave on when I go to bed.

Banned

deeky

Nice thread. Hope it's busy and there are some experts here X)

He's already here.

Original Poster

deeky

I've got my lights coming on and off (Philips Hue). Can set different … I've got my lights coming on and off (Philips Hue). Can set different groups, ie 'turn on lounge' turns all on. another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I leave on when I go to bed.

How do you find the Philips lights? A lot of money if they don't last. Was considering them myself
Edited by: "gr8t1" 30th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Or as I already have a hive, should I get those instead?

gr8t1

How do you find the Philips lights? A lot of money if they don't last. … How do you find the Philips lights? A lot of money if they don't last. Was considering them myself

Love them. Spent hours playing with them X) I bought them on Black Friday last year and dont regret a penny of the money I spent.

gr8t1

Or as I already have a hive, should I get those instead?

If that was for me, I don't know anything about hive, sorry.

Original Poster

deeky

Love them. Spent hours playing with them X) I bought them on Black Friday … Love them. Spent hours playing with them X) I bought them on Black Friday last year and dont regret a penny of the money I spent.

Cheers. Good to know....
Looks like just you n me bought the Echo lol

Well I got one too. Enjoying it alot. Had one problem last night when I told it to turn the volume to 2 and it heard 10 and blasted music out at 1am :/. Had to unplug from the mains as it couldn't hear me to turn it back down. Bad times. Listened to some radio with radio player skill and played blackjack on it earlier.

I had something similar, don't forget the top turns, this controls the volume as well. Enjoying the echo though, works very well.

Will it read my texts for me. My old phone had cortana i loved her. I would get a text shecwould ask if i wanted her to read it. Then ask if i wished to reply. The phne i have now it pants galaxy edge. I hate it

deeky

...another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I leave … ...another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I leave on when I go to bed.

Had to read that a few times.

fanpages

You mean you wanted to read it a few times because it fueled your imagination X)

miles136

Will it read my texts for me. My old phone had cortana i loved her. I … Will it read my texts for me. My old phone had cortana i loved her. I would get a text shecwould ask if i wanted her to read it. Then ask if i wished to reply. The phne i have now it pants galaxy edge. I hate it

You wanna swap for an iPhone?

deeky

...another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I … ...another group 'turn on bed' turns just 2 of the bulbs on which I leave on when I go to bed.

fanpages

deeky

You mean you wanted to read it a few times because it fueled your … You mean you wanted to read it a few times because it fueled your imagination X)

At least twice to see if my response was repeated.

Echo.

Beats me at rock paper scissors every time

Waiting on Sonos!

Edited by: "sparkyIreland" 30th Sep 2016

I'm trying to get my shopping list emailed to me when I ask it. I'm using an IFTTT recipe but it just won't email me this list. Has anyone else tried and successfully got their shopping list emailed to them please, either using ITTT or any other means?

Thanks

BTW - great bit of kit.

Edit: just read the other thread and IFTTT not quite ready for uk, but being worked on
Edited by: "melmorc" 1st Oct 2016

I love it. Wasn't 100% sure I'd get the use out of it but ordered any way. Has anyone seen a better list than this: cnet.com/uk/…ds/

anthony401

I love it. Wasn't 100% sure I'd get the use out of it but ordered any … I love it. Wasn't 100% sure I'd get the use out of it but ordered any way. Has anyone seen a better list than this: https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

Some of the commands must be US only, my echo can't find me nearby restuarants or list the movies playing tonight.

Maverick77

Well I got one too. Enjoying it alot. Had one problem last night when I … Well I got one too. Enjoying it alot. Had one problem last night when I told it to turn the volume to 2 and it heard 10 and blasted music out at 1am :/. Had to unplug from the mains as it couldn't hear me to turn it back down. Bad times. Listened to some radio with radio player skill and played blackjack on it earlier.

You could have just turned the volume down by twisting the top ring.

Great Thread! I bought an Echo and it's really handy to have as I have an open plan kitchen/dinner/living room. Really happy with the sound quality for the area, plenty loud enough and for £99.99 the speaker function warrants that price.

Looking forward to new skills etc...

I didn't buy one. I am happy saving my money for something useful &/or the next five-minute-fad-gadget.

https://img.discogs.com/C-h2Sr6yo8i2cbCvRZYz13UxZjw=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-780889-1333391499.jpeg.jpg

fanpages

I didn't buy one. I am happy saving my money for something useful &/or … I didn't buy one. I am happy saving my money for something useful &/or the next five-minute-fad-gadget.

Definitely not a 5 minute gadget.
Probably one of the best gadgets I own, worth every penny and extremely useful.

Scazza

Great Thread! I bought an Echo and it's really handy to have as I have an … Great Thread! I bought an Echo and it's really handy to have as I have an open plan kitchen/dinner/living room. Really happy with the sound quality for the area, plenty loud enough and for £99.99 the speaker function warrants that price.Looking forward to new skills etc...

Like stereo output?

[ echotalk.org/ind…tml ]

fanpages

I didn't buy one. I am happy saving my money for something useful &/or … I didn't buy one. I am happy saving my money for something useful &/or the next five-minute-fad-gadget.

Meh

mickclark

You could have just turned the volume down by twisting the top ring.

​yeh I know that now, kinda panicked though

Seeing that people in the US have Alexa controlling their TV & Set Top Boxes via IFTTT & the Logitech Harmony Hub looks like a cool function!

Serious question:

Assuming those that have purchased this device already are not concerned today, once products like this are in many (UK) homes, continuing to monitor conversations waiting for keywords to active functions, whilst passing back data about keyword usage to the vendors, would you then welcome the next model that is constantly recording both sound & video, not just reporting keywords, but passing a live stream of the activities within your home to a third party?

Original Poster

fanpages

Serious question:Assuming those that have purchased this device already … Serious question:Assuming those that have purchased this device already are not concerned today, once products like this are in many (UK) homes, continuing to monitor conversations waiting for keywords to active functions, whilst passing back data about keyword usage to the vendors, would you then welcome the next model that is constantly recording both sound & video, not just reporting keywords, but passing a live stream of the activities within your home to a third party?

I have nothing to hide or fear. I honestly couldn't care what marketing info they collect.
More important things in life to worry about

fanpages

Serious question:Assuming those that have purchased this device already … Serious question:Assuming those that have purchased this device already are not concerned today, once products like this are in many (UK) homes, continuing to monitor conversations waiting for keywords to active functions, whilst passing back data about keyword usage to the vendors, would you then welcome the next model that is constantly recording both sound & video, not just reporting keywords, but passing a live stream of the activities within your home to a third party?

gr8t1

I have nothing to hide or fear. I honestly couldn't care what marketing … I have nothing to hide or fear. I honestly couldn't care what marketing info they collect.More important things in life to worry about

It is not just marketing information being recorded &, optionally, sent back to base.

It is everything said in proximity to the on-board microphone.

Every conversation you have about your family life, your finances, sexual preferences, attitudes towards others, political views, & so on.

Original Poster

fanpages

gr8t1

I have nothing to hide or fear. I honestly couldn't care what marketing … I have nothing to hide or fear. I honestly couldn't care what marketing info they collect.More important things in life to worry about

Wow
You are one paranoid puppy.......

gr8t1

WowYou are one paranoid puppy.......

Hey... less of the puppy!

Original Poster

George was right all along oO

It only listens for it's keyword locally, after that it sends the rest of your command to Amazon. It is not sending or using any data for Amazon..

Don't be paranoid people!

Banned

What's the warranty like on the Phillips Hue bulbs. At the price being charged, and with a rating of 25,000 hours usage I can still only find a 24 month warranty. There's a conflict.

Chiptivo

It only listens for it's keyword locally, after that it sends the rest of … It only listens for it's keyword locally, after that it sends the rest of your command to Amazon. It is not sending or using any data for Amazon..Don't be paranoid people!

You seem to be missing the point.

deeky

You mean you wanted to read it a few times because it fueled your … You mean you wanted to read it a few times because it fueled your imagination X)

Mine too

fanpages

Already a happening if you own a Samsung TV is it not? I was nearly lynched last time I brought that up.
Edited by: "MSK." 3rd Oct 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Biscuit addiction1229
    2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
    3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
    4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions