Amazon Echo Dot

Wondering what everyone has got Alexa doing? Just got one for Christmas and it seems pretty cool. First few things I've done are asking to play music from Spotify, asking the time, BBC news bulletin, checking the football scores yesterday and setting alarms.

What has everyone else found? I was checking out the Skills but there seemed to be a fair few of them that didn't look great.

21 Comments

Original Poster

Also building a shopping list, that's handy.

sports frustrate me. I know what my own team is doing, yet if I ask what the latest sports news is that's pretty much all it will tell me..

Original Poster

bluecityste

sports frustrate me. I know what my own team is doing, yet if I ask what … sports frustrate me. I know what my own team is doing, yet if I ask what the latest sports news is that's pretty much all it will tell me..

Ask for sky sports news. It's give a 2 min headline brief.

I was gutted it doesn't have lower league clubs for score updates.

Can it do horoscopes

Mine controls my lighting (hue & hive) and my heating (nest). Playing around with ifttt integration now to get it to control me home entertainment.

Original Poster

I've yet to have my nest installed but looking forward to that. Phillips lighting is on the buy list.

How is it possible for it to control your entertainment?

I've yet to have my nest installed but looking forward to that. Phillips … I've yet to have my nest installed but looking forward to that. Phillips lighting is on the buy list. How is it possible for it to control your entertainment?

I've got a broadlink RM Pro + spare RPi's so gonna hack around using AWS Lambda functions when I find the time.
Also have my doorbell connected to Rpi so should be able to get alexa to let me knwhen when the door bell rings and flash the hue lights at the same time too.

youtube.com/wat…2KY
hackster.io/piz…91f

don't say too much in front of it

Murder detectives sought Amazon Echo data - bbc.co.uk/new…658

Original Poster

caverncity

don't say too much in front of it Murder detectives sought Amazon Echo … don't say too much in front of it Murder detectives sought Amazon Echo data - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38450658

That's cool. Don't plan to murder anyone.

I get why people dont like the thought of people being able to snoop and I draw the line at cameras inside the house but what exactly does the general person have to hide?

I would feel sorry for the person who has to snoop through my data. They would probably be very bored and hear some awful singing.
Edited by: "2015" 28th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Interesting article though

That's cool. Don't plan to murder anyone. I get why people dont like the … That's cool. Don't plan to murder anyone. I get why people dont like the thought of people being able to snoop and I draw the line at cameras inside the house but what exactly does the general person have to hide?I would feel sorry for the person who has to snoop through my data. They would probably be very bored and hear some awful singing.

​after using Alexa for a while you might change your mind especially when it begins to misinterpret what you are saying or doesn't understand even though the first couple of weeks it did.

caverncity

don't say too much in front of it Murder detectives sought Amazon Echo … don't say too much in front of it Murder detectives sought Amazon Echo data - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38450658

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…490 ]

"Alexa, clean the dust off of you and get under the sink with the sandwhich toaster"

Discusses Microsoft's intent, Google's device, & possible competition from Apple (& others), as well as providing two videos showing demonstrations of Amazon's & Google's respective products...

"Microsoft teases Amazon Echo rival"
(By Leo Kelion Technology desk editor, 14 December 2016)

[ bbc.co.uk/new…797 ]

Asked alexa where I could find chuck norris, the answer was amusing! But one of the best things is using voice control to set timers,great for the kitchen - simple but effective.

Tapper51

Asked alexa where I could find chuck norris, the answer was amusing! But … Asked alexa where I could find chuck norris, the answer was amusing! But one of the best things is using voice control to set timers,great for the kitchen - simple but effective.

Timers are definitely very useful, I've used ifttt to link my timer to philips hue lights, so that when the timer hits zero the lights all over the house flash, very useful when you're in a different room to the echo.

Just found an easy way to get Alexa to turn on my home entertainment (TV / Sky box / Soundbar) by just saying phrases like "Alexa, turn TV on". I've used the Tasker RM plugin running on android as a bridge to send voice commands to my broadlink RM Pro. Far easier than the ways i've seen others do it online.

Original Poster

DVS_Dee

Just found an easy way to get Alexa to turn on my home entertainment (TV … Just found an easy way to get Alexa to turn on my home entertainment (TV / Sky box / Soundbar) by just saying phrases like "Alexa, turn TV on". I've used the Tasker RM plugin running on android as a bridge to send voice commands to my broadlink RM Pro. Far easier than the ways i've seen others do it online.

Snazzy. Only android device I've got is an old galaxy tab. Gonna have to dig it out I think.

Snazzy. Only android device I've got is an old galaxy tab. Gonna have to … Snazzy. Only android device I've got is an old galaxy tab. Gonna have to dig it out I think.

You could probably get it working using an android emulator like BlueStacks (but I've not tried).

Banned

caverncity

Interesting!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
    2. Back to European satellite tv32
    3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…11
    4. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78

See more discussions