Expired

Amazon echo dot for £5...

Found 29th Nov 2017
Looking at household insurance. Only need contents. Very will give you an Amazon echo dot four weeks after your insurance is running, provided it is still active. My quote for £40k contents was £60 pa (£59.80 for direct debit). £60 pa = £5 per month. So to get the dot for £5 take out insurance on a direct debit and cancel after first month.

2844749-iRuvV.jpg

Personally I'm not doing this as I need the insurance and, ironically, I don't need a dot (I can't see the fascination with something that listens to everything I say. I'm married - I want to be ignored) but this is hukd and we take advantage of glitches, errors and marketing faux pas!
Maybe of some use to someone.

very.co.uk/hom…nce
Community Updates
Top comments
Good little trick. I prefer Google otherwise I’d be tempted. Heat from me.
I love it when tw*ts start shouting ‘fraud’ at deals like this (and my NUS card deal).
It’s not fraud. You’re allowed to take out the offer, and you’re allowed to cancel.
How is that fraud?
It’s the act that’s criminal or not, not what’s going on in your head . We’re not quite there yet.
17 Comments
Any cancellation fees???
JellybearXo1 m ago

Fraud

Is it fraud? It's taking advantage of an offer in my book. Sticking to the terms in place.
I had this email from Very but despite their good offers they are useless, they sent me a PS4 after I cancelled it and two people assured me it was cancelled! Would not trust them with any kind of insurance! Good if you can get a Dot though. Not voted.
Not worth the hassle
Edited by: "Yakkal303" 29th Nov 2017
loopylloyd3 m ago

I had this email from Very but despite their good offers they are useless, …I had this email from Very but despite their good offers they are useless, they sent me a PS4 after I cancelled it and two people assured me it was cancelled! Would not trust them with any kind of insurance! Good if you can get a Dot though. Not voted.

Underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance. So they are only brokers really.
mrty2 m ago

Underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance. So they are only brokers really.

Fair one, not read in to it to be honest, it will probably help someone on here
Good little trick. I prefer Google otherwise I’d be tempted. Heat from me.
I love it when tw*ts start shouting ‘fraud’ at deals like this (and my NUS card deal).
It’s not fraud. You’re allowed to take out the offer, and you’re allowed to cancel.
How is that fraud?
It’s the act that’s criminal or not, not what’s going on in your head . We’re not quite there yet.
loopylloyd12 m ago

I had this email from Very but despite their good offers they are useless, …I had this email from Very but despite their good offers they are useless, they sent me a PS4 after I cancelled it and two people assured me it was cancelled! Would not trust them with any kind of insurance! Good if you can get a Dot though. Not voted.

Same thing happened to me. They refused to process an order as I had bought more than one of the same item and then sent ne tracking details. When trying to cancel they assured me it was cancelled but the item came anyway and they took my money. Very are completely useless. Customer service is the worst.
ScroopEgerton14 m ago

Good little trick. I prefer Google otherwise I’d be tempted. Heat from m …Good little trick. I prefer Google otherwise I’d be tempted. Heat from me.I love it when tw*ts start shouting ‘fraud’ at deals like this (and my NUS card deal).It’s not fraud. You’re allowed to take out the offer, and you’re allowed to cancel. How is that fraud?It’s the act that’s criminal or not, not what’s going on in your head . We’re not quite there yet.

Curious about why you prefer Google? I'm asking because I am thinking of investing in something like Google home or echo in the future.
Not sure why people are voting cold. Heat from me
"If you cancel the policy within 14 days of the date you receive your policy documents you will receive a refund of the premium in full provided no claim has been made. If you cancel your policy after 14 days of the date you received your policy documents you will receive a refund of the premium on a pro-rata basis provided no claim has been made. Please note there will be an administration charge for cancellation to cover the administration costs of arranging the policy."

Info found here under the FAQ section.

I was going to go ahead and sign up until I read about the cancellation administration charge.
Edited by: "OdhranC" 30th Nov 2017
Already taken Home insurance out with Very, as my previous insurance had expired. To be fair premium was similar to my last with another Insurance company, so the dot was a bonus. Im now waiting for the dot. As with all Insurance these days there are rules and regulations in place so was confident that this ok.
There is no such thing as "Pay monthly " insurance - car or home . You are ,effectively , taking out a loan for the years premium and paying that back .

So the "Admin fee" will be really hefty as Very will retain their commission when you cancel and of course taking out this "loan " will chip away at your credit score , NOT a good idea !
rogparki2 h, 38 m ago

There is no such thing as "Pay monthly " insurance - car or home . You are …There is no such thing as "Pay monthly " insurance - car or home . You are ,effectively , taking out a loan for the years premium and paying that back .So the "Admin fee" will be really hefty as Very will retain their commission when you cancel and of course taking out this "loan " will chip away at your credit score , NOT a good idea !

I concur with that having previously worked as a prorgammer in the insurance industry
The headline is a little clickbaity. Want to include the fact you have to take out insurance and then cancel in it?

Otherwise it just looks like you can buy a dot for £5, which you obviously can't.
schnide40 m ago

The headline is a little clickbaity. Want to include the fact you have to …The headline is a little clickbaity. Want to include the fact you have to take out insurance and then cancel in it?Otherwise it just looks like you can buy a dot for £5, which you obviously can't.

Ok. Not the best thought out deal...I posted it when half asleep. I am at bit bemused at some of the animosity it has received.
To start with your comment...yes I could have explained it more in the title. It wasn't deliberate click bait. I gain nothing from people clicking on this. I kept it short as I felt if you want a dot you will read it, if you don't you will pass on by.
As for the fraud... I see many other 'deals' where you sign up for a period of time, receive your freebie or gift, then cancel. Why this is different I don't know?
The 'fees' for cancellation.... If you opt to pay monthly, I don't see what recourse they have if you cancel - I haven't had any issues with car insurance when I've had to cancel mid policy. I'm not saying they wouldn't or couldn't try to pursue for compensation, but surely it's a chance we take on all these 'glitches', mis-prices' and 'multiple code stacking' deals?

How it affects your credit rating...hmmm, I'm no expert but surely if you make the payments on time it helps your credit rating. Canceling a policy shouldn't affect your credit rating - not paying does.
I have taken out contents insurance. The price is good, the insurance is actually through a reputable company and any claims go through that company not VERY. I will also be getting a dot that I don't want but will sell on, this will pay half the first years insurance and increase my no claims bonus. I will look out for similar offers in a years time.
mrty5 m ago

Ok. Not the best thought out deal...I posted it when half asleep. I am at …Ok. Not the best thought out deal...I posted it when half asleep. I am at bit bemused at some of the animosity it has received. To start with your comment...yes I could have explained it more in the title. It wasn't deliberate click bait. I gain nothing from people clicking on this. I kept it short as I felt if you want a dot you will read it, if you don't you will pass on by. As for the fraud... I see many other 'deals' where you sign up for a period of time, receive your freebie or gift, then cancel. Why this is different I don't know? The 'fees' for cancellation.... If you opt to pay monthly, I don't see what recourse they have if you cancel - I haven't had any issues with car insurance when I've had to cancel mid policy. I'm not saying they wouldn't or couldn't try to pursue for compensation, but surely it's a chance we take on all these 'glitches', mis-prices' and 'multiple code stacking' deals? How it affects your credit rating...hmmm, I'm no expert but surely if you make the payments on time it helps your credit rating. Canceling a policy shouldn't affect your credit rating - not paying does. I have taken out contents insurance. The price is good, the insurance is actually through a reputable company and any claims go through that company not VERY. I will also be getting a dot that I don't want but will sell on, this will pay half the first years insurance and increase my no claims bonus. I will look out for similar offers in a years time.

I wasn't saying it was deliberate OP, just that it was clickbaity whether you intended it or not!

I get deals in an RSS feed so all I saw was "Echo Dot for £5" which isn't strictly true. Nevertheless it meant a few clicks and a minute or two wasted.

Again, it's a first world problem but if you did want to improve it for future purposes, the option is most definitely there.

Have a good one and thanks for posting.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants