Amazon Echo Dot & Hue Bulbs

Posted 27th Nov
Hey please can someone help me, I've purchased the bluetooth Philip's hue bulbs & an echo dot 3rd gen. I don't own a hue hub but was under the impression I could control the hue bulbs through voice control on the echo dot. I have no idea how to do this or if I can do this please could someone let me know if i need the hue hub so I'm not wasting loads of time trying for no reason? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
You need the hub
samosa27/11/2019 17:00

Do you still require it if you have echo+?

I’m not sure about the echo plus. I only own the standard echo, I do believe that not all features are available without the bridge, hopefully someone else can help clarify it
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 27th Nov
_Whatever_27/11/2019 16:57

You need the hub

Thank you for you reply. Looks like I'm buying a hub then FML
gemmalani27/11/2019 17:23

Thank you for you reply. Looks like I'm buying a hub then FML

Worth it once it’s all set up
I was under the impression you didn’t need a hub. Why bundle it if you can use it together?
joxeruk200027/11/2019 17:30

I was under the impression you didn’t need a hub. Why bundle it if you can …I was under the impression you didn’t need a hub. Why bundle it if you can use it together?

Yes same as that only reason I bought it because someone said you don't need the hub
joxeruk200027/11/2019 17:30

I was under the impression you didn’t need a hub. Why bundle it if you can …I was under the impression you didn’t need a hub. Why bundle it if you can use it together?

In fact it says on the bundle deal no hub required.
joxeruk200027/11/2019 17:37

In fact it says on the bundle deal no hub required.

Yeah exactly! I'm confused but I defo can't get it working its saying use hub
gemmalani27/11/2019 17:38

Yeah exactly! I'm confused but I defo can't get it working its saying use … Yeah exactly! I'm confused but I defo can't get it working its saying use hub

I’ve bought them to put away for Xmas so not sure but there’s probably a YouTube video on it.
gemmalani27/11/2019 17:37

Yes same as that only reason I bought it because someone said you don't …Yes same as that only reason I bought it because someone said you don't need the hub

I may be wrong in saying you need the hub/bridge but that’s just from my experience. I hope you manage to sort it
_Whatever_27/11/2019 17:48

I may be wrong in saying you need the hub/bridge but that’s just from my e …I may be wrong in saying you need the hub/bridge but that’s just from my experience. I hope you manage to sort it

I'm pretty sure you need the hub I've searched the net and youtube and still no idea I'm just gona buy the hub and the colour changing lights for xmas I think so if it was a ploy to get people buying them it's worked I'm currently using the hue bluetooth app to dim them ect, it's cool but for the kids sake will be cooler to voice control via alexa.
joxeruk200027/11/2019 17:41

I’ve bought them to put away for Xmas so not sure but there’s probably a Yo …I’ve bought them to put away for Xmas so not sure but there’s probably a YouTube video on it.

I couldn't find a vid think I'm just gona grab the hue hub lol
gemmalani27/11/2019 17:57

I couldn't find a vid think I'm just gona grab the hue hub lol

Wait until you have tried them. According to amazon they work via Bluetooth - "Simple to set up: easily connect Philips Hue smart lights to your Echo device via Bluetooth, no hub required. Just turn on your light bulb and say “Alexa, discover devices”.

Also;- "To use your Hue Bluetooth bulbs with your Echo device, connect your bulbs to Alexa prior to setting up the bulbs in the Hue Bluetooth app.

Before connecting to Alexa, make sure your Echo software is up to date by asking “Alexa, is your software up to date?”

Philips Hue Bluetooth bulbs connect directly to most Echo smart speakers and smart displays (Hue bridge required for Echo 1ˢᵗ generation)."

A lot of info here - amazon.co.uk/Cha…6T3
tregs27/11/2019 18:03

Wait until you have tried them. According to amazon they work via …Wait until you have tried them. According to amazon they work via Bluetooth - "Simple to set up: easily connect Philips Hue smart lights to your Echo device via Bluetooth, no hub required. Just turn on your light bulb and say “Alexa, discover devices”. Also;- "To use your Hue Bluetooth bulbs with your Echo device, connect your bulbs to Alexa prior to setting up the bulbs in the Hue Bluetooth app. Before connecting to Alexa, make sure your Echo software is up to date by asking “Alexa, is your software up to date?” Philips Hue Bluetooth bulbs connect directly to most Echo smart speakers and smart displays (Hue bridge required for Echo 1ˢᵗ generation)." A lot of info here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charcoal-Philips-Bluetooth-compatible-required/dp/B07ZZRN6T3

Oh sweet!!! Now let me see if I can delete the hue app and sort it through alexa Thank You
Still can't get it to work think I'll just go with the hue hub
39153397-SctgE.jpgIt says in order to use the smart function I need to enable smart home skills I have this for my TV but you can't download the Philip's hue smart skill without connecting it to the hue hub I'm so confused
I don’t have a hub and it works fine. I think the new generation doesn’t need a hub
I got it working in the end
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants