amazon echo idiots guide

Found 19th Oct 2017Edited by:"cdeeclaire"
i,m useless with technology so if i buy amazon echo what else do i need to buy for it to turn lights on in each room in the house and can it even be done, also what else is it good for, i will have amazon prime thanks to replys on another post so want to know how to get the most out of it, hopefully this isnt a stupid ? haha
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Philips hue starter kit
U need smart light bulbs I think for Alexa to turn lights on/off. If it helps amazon music has Alexa in the app (u get this with prime) so u could play about with it before deciding if a dot is worth buying ..hope this helps
thats what i,m not sure about do i just get certain bulbs and thats it? the main reason for the lights is my little ones constantly asking me to go turn lights on and off for them, so if i can do this from the living room it would be great even though alittle lazy haha
There is so much on the internet on how and what you need todo, why not search around?
e.g. imore.com/how…cho
U add skills to alexa that's how she does things like operates lights, play music etc
With prime you get some (not all) music as well as the music (CD or download) you have purchased from Amazon. You can also use it to operate your boiler if you get Hive. Its great for answering random questions and basic maths etc
Sambat23 m ago

There is so much on the internet on how and what you need todo, why not …There is so much on the internet on how and what you need todo, why not search around?e.g. https://www.imore.com/how-control-your-lights-amazon-echo

hi i have looked and just confused myself so thought better asking people who may have it and thankyou for the link appreciated i,ll look now
There are also some YouTube videos that are also very useful..
One thing that is not mentioned much is My Music on Amazon. You can upload music from a pc to Amazon and then get Alexa to play them when you ask. That is free.
You can also go to Cnet.com and subscribe to Echo News - they send you tips and update you on services that are added.
cdeeclaire1 h, 49 m ago

thats what i,m not sure about do i just get certain bulbs and thats it? …thats what i,m not sure about do i just get certain bulbs and thats it? the main reason for the lights is my little ones constantly asking me to go turn lights on and off for them, so if i can do this from the living room it would be great even though alittle lazy haha

You have several options with smart lights and only need an Amazon Echo if you want to add voice control, otherwise you can control via an app.

You can also add proximity sensors to rooms that turn your lights on /off automatically based on entering a room, time of day, how dark the room is etc.

Word of warning.. it can be quite expensive as an investment to do a whole house, depending on the lights you want, but it is a fun thing to do.

I have Philips Hue lights through the house, with sensors in several rooms, and 4 Echos through the house.

I won't think of how much I have spent.... Just how much I enjoy using them.

There are some security benefits to smart lighting too.
You probably don't even need an Alexa, if you buy a smart bulb kit like the Philips Hue (or even the IKEA set of you want to lose a bit of functionality for a bit cheaper) you can use the app on your phone to turn the lights on and off from anywhere in the world. if you would then like to control them with your voice you can then add them to Alexa, Google Assistant or Siri on your phone (or even Cortana in the future) to control them for free, and if you want to then buy an Echo dot or Google Home Mini for that purpose you can.
Just keep the lights on. Far cheaper than spending £200-£300 on an echo and bulbs
chocci20th Oct

Just keep the lights on. Far cheaper than spending £200-£300 on an echo a …Just keep the lights on. Far cheaper than spending £200-£300 on an echo and bulbs

my wife wont agree with this haha
If you get Phillips or hive plugs and bulbs you need to buy a hub, however if you get "tp link" accessories you just plug them in and go. They all come with fairly idiot proof instructions. You will need to download kasa (free app) and name your bulbs/plugs e.g. bedroom light, go to your alexa app and find your devices and away you go. Takes about 10 mins depending how many bulbs/ plugs you're fitting
gavin.muir14th Dec

If you get Phillips or hive plugs and bulbs you need to buy a hub, however …If you get Phillips or hive plugs and bulbs you need to buy a hub, however if you get "tp link" accessories you just plug them in and go. They all come with fairly idiot proof instructions. You will need to download kasa (free app) and name your bulbs/plugs e.g. bedroom light, go to your alexa app and find your devices and away you go. Takes about 10 mins depending how many bulbs/ plugs you're fitting

hi thanks i,ve now got the echo plus and running the house on the phillips hue bulbs with 2 dots its perfect if a little more expensive than the other options but i just wanted the easiest route, now looking at adding more things haha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants