Amazon Echo problems.

Found 6th Aug 2017
Hi, I purchased an Amazon echo (in kitchen) and a dot (in bedroom) in April, both devices worked fine and I love them. On Amazon prime day I thought I'd get another echo for our living room. Ever since I have had constant problems. The dot upstairs still works fine, so this is just an echo problem. When I play music on one echo then say an hour later go to the other echo and ask to play music it won't, it will say it's not available. Yet the other echo will play it. The only way to rectify it, is to unplug the one that will play then ask the other one.
Also (a separate problem, I think, which happened when I got the 2nd echo) the original echo (kitchen) will go quiet periodically, if I ask it to turn off lights, it will but there will be no sound saying OK etc, only way to fix this is to reboot.
Unusually Amazon have not been great, they keep sending updates and have the developers trying to replicate the problem and fix it but still it's not fixed. So now I'm wondering if it's anything to do with BT hub 5 or settings? I cannot understand why this can't be fixed and why the problem only happened once I got the second echo and that it's not happened to anyone else.
Can anyone help in any way please?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

You ask it to "turn the lights off"? Really? How lazy!!
Careful not to swear near it....you don't want to say **** me".
Actually that may be your problem, cos it certainly seems to be well ******* up now.
This technology is too new for me, I prefer to wait a while and let others sort out the niggles. So thank you. And good luck.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 6th Aug 2017

Why 2 Echos in the same room though?

Anyway, it might just be faulty. Just go through the regular Amazon returns process and either have it replaced or refunded. Tell them it just doesn't work half the time. It's guaranteed for 12 months. Then at least you will know if it's a configuration issue or not.
Edited by: "deeky" 6th Aug 2017

@manda1:
"Unusually Amazon have not been great, they keep sending updates and have the developers trying to replicate the problem and fix it but still it's not fixed."

To be fair, if they cannot replicate it, then it is just guesswork what the issue will be.

deeky42 m ago

Why 2 Echos in the same room though?Anyway, it might just be faulty. Just …Why 2 Echos in the same room though?Anyway, it might just be faulty. Just go through the regular Amazon returns process and either have it replaced or refunded. Tell them it just doesn't work half the time. It's guaranteed for 12 months. Then at least you will know if it's a configuration issue or not.

If it fails at any time, then it doesn't work; don't try & quantity the number of occurrences.

It either works, or it doesn't *.

As deeky suggests, just get it replaced.

* Much like trying to reply to two posters at once in the same comment with the "gopep" (so-called) design.

deeky45 m ago

Why 2 Echos in the same room though?Anyway, it might just be faulty. Just …Why 2 Echos in the same room though?Anyway, it might just be faulty. Just go through the regular Amazon returns process and either have it replaced or refunded. Tell them it just doesn't work half the time. It's guaranteed for 12 months. Then at least you will know if it's a configuration issue or not.

"Amazon echo (in kitchen) and a dot (in bedroom) in April... another echo for our living room"

"Why 2 Echos in the same room though?"

The devices are in three separate rooms.

fanpages13 m ago

"Amazon echo (in kitchen) and a dot (in bedroom) in April... another echo …"Amazon echo (in kitchen) and a dot (in bedroom) in April... another echo for our living room""Why 2 Echos in the same room though?"The devices are in three separate rooms.

Meh

The listening range on the Echo is good (better then I expected) so it may be that both are hearing your commands and getting confused. I think amazon need a feature where you can give each echo a different name to prevent this.

This might help

Could it be bandwidth?
My echo struggles when we are doing heavy streaming
Edited by: "stuartw" 7th Aug 2017

Original Poster

tallpete3314 h, 47 m ago

The listening range on the Echo is good (better then I expected) so it …The listening range on the Echo is good (better then I expected) so it may be that both are hearing your commands and getting confused. I think amazon need a feature where you can give each echo a different name to prevent this. This might help

Thanks for reply. I have experimented to make sure they're not too close and both devices are hearing the command, this doesn't seem to be the problem.
I'm not sure bandwidth is a problem either as I dont want to play both at same time (I'm pretty sure you can't have 2 devices using prime music anyway), I want to use one then go in a different room and use that one without having to switch the other off.
I think I'll ask Amazon to exchange the most recent echo and see if problem still exists.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions