Amazon Echo Purchased, What Next?

Found 28th Dec 2017
I would like to start moving towards a smarter home. I have got an Echo Plus and would like to get some more Alexa enabled bulbs, switches etc. I already have a thermostat thing and can't justify Hive.

I was searching through eBay with the 20% off code but afraid I would buy the wrong thing. Could you guys point me in the right direction for:

1. Smart Bulbs - (I know Philips Hue is good but would want something that connects with the Echo without the need for anything extra like a connection box or do you need the Echo Plus to achieve this?). I'm not that interested in colour changing lights.

2. Smart plugs - Best getting these in the 3 for 2 in Argos?

3. Anything else I should consider?

There is probably a million things I should consider but any help would be fantastic.

Thank you
Community Updates
AskElectronics
11 Comments
I cannot recommend enough the HS100 smart plug by tplink. They are fast and reliable. Work great with Alexa
Sit on your sofa and get obese, whilst operating various lights, gadgets etc without getting up - there is no other point to buying one - unless you want to show off to guests of course
Edited by: "rogparki" 28th Dec 2017
rogparki6 m ago

Sit on your sofa and get obese, whilst operating various lights, gadgets …Sit on your sofa and get obese, whilst operating various lights, gadgets etc without getting up - there is no other point to buying one - unless you want to show off to guests of course

Work from home as a web designer and have no problems with my weight. I like convenience. Different strokes for different folks
Id watch Southpark a few times

*spoiler... cartman trolls alexa
Xiaomi bulbs are decent - I use them with Alexa. Heating control is another option to look at (I use Tado).

Loads of options available
redbutcher19 m ago

Xiaomi bulbs are decent - I use them with Alexa. Heating control is …Xiaomi bulbs are decent - I use them with Alexa. Heating control is another option to look at (I use Tado). Loads of options available

Do they need a connect box or can they work on their own and where is the best place to buy them? Thanks you
deleted415226
Think of the seconds, SECONDS, you’ll save every year by telling a machine to switch your lights off instead of just flicking a light switch.
deleted41522628th Dec 2017

Think of the seconds, SECONDS, you’ll save every year by telling a machine …Think of the seconds, SECONDS, you’ll save every year by telling a machine to switch your lights off instead of just flicking a light switch.

Or hours if your 200 miles away visiting the outlaws for the weekend and want to switch lights on and off.
It’s an echo plus which acts as a hub.
deleted41522628th Dec 2017

Think of the seconds, SECONDS, you’ll save every year by telling a machine …Think of the seconds, SECONDS, you’ll save every year by telling a machine to switch your lights off instead of just flicking a light switch.

If thats how you feel then stop using your tv remote to change the channel and go press the button on the side of the tv.
deleted415226
kilmac8 h, 21 m ago

If thats how you feel then stop using your tv remote to change the channel …If thats how you feel then stop using your tv remote to change the channel and go press the button on the side of the tv.

I don’t watch TV, but I understand your point. I still fundamentally disagree with the connected future for a variety of reasons, but you’re young and the young embrace new technology, so good for you.
kilmac12 h, 43 m ago

Do they need a connect box or can they work on their own and where is the …Do they need a connect box or can they work on their own and where is the best place to buy them? Thanks you

I normally get them from gearbest. Nothing else needed other than the bulb. gearbest.com/Xia…ar/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions