Amazon echo stuff

Found 1st Jan
Hi!

Just been given an Amazon echo and my wife is skeptical about it, we've recently moved house and she's missing being able to dim lights, so I figure if I can make it do that she might let me keep it

I'm confused though, some bulbs say you need a hub, some say you don't. What's the most cost efficient way of doing it? We have two bulbs in the lounge and probably want two more for the bedroom. Might want some sockets for lamps too.

Bit of an echo newbie so would appreciate any advice or tips.
Thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

I’d go with Xiaomi bulbs. I’ve got a couple plus a couple of the light strips and they work well with Alexa gearbest.com/Xia…ar/.

For sockets the tp link smart sockets get recommended. I bought a couple of these instead as they’re a bit cheaperand again they work fine amzn.eu/dto…xpF
Edited by: "redbutcher" 1st Jan

Original Poster

redbutcher1 h, 33 m ago

I’d go with Xiaomi bulbs. I’ve got a couple plus a couple of the light str …I’d go with Xiaomi bulbs. I’ve got a couple plus a couple of the light strips and they work well with Alexa https://www.gearbest.com/Xiaomi-bulbs-_gear/.For sockets the tp link smart sockets get recommended. I bought a couple of these instead as they’re a bit cheaperand again they work fine http://amzn.eu/dto7xpF

Thanks, presume you need a hub or something to make those work

Nope, they’ll work with Alexa out of the box

Original Poster

Oh really? That's cool. Just need to find bayonet fitting, any other suppliers?

Just get the adapters - cheap as chips.

We've got xiaomi yeelight bulbs too. Less than £9 each for coloured ones from Tomtop/gearbest etc about 3 week delivery. I've had 4 that all work perfectly.
Just remember to change their server to Singapore when you install them.
And we've got a tp link smart socket from when it was a tenner on amazon.

I got the bulb adapters from amazon/ebay for less than a pound each to fit the various sockets we have. Just be aware that it makes the bulb quite tall so ours pokes out of the top of our little bedroom lamp. No probs with ceiling lights tho.

You can buy into the hue brand but you'll need a bridge and you pay top dolla for the bulbs too

Original Poster

I've bought some of the yeelights, thinking of putting one into the hall, but I'm guessing the switch always needs to be 'on', then alexa or the app controls whether it's actually on or not. I'm thinking my wife won't like that as for the hallway alexa won't be able to hear and she may have bags etc so won't use an app. Are there physical switches too?

Also, can anyone recommend motion sensors that work with them? Thinking for the downstairs toilet and maybe a strip in the kitchen
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions