Amazon Fire 7 tablet...help...no clue!

Hi

I've been looking at the Amazon Fire 7 tablet for my 6 year old son for Christmas but I really haven't got a clue about them. We have an iPad which is used for browsing web and app games. That's all my son will be using a tablet for too. Do I have to get Amazon prime? Is it suitable for him?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

10 Comments

what i would do if you are tech savvy, is install the google play store, for games youtube and such,

howtogeek.com/232…et/

regards

No you dont need amazon prime, however I suspect you'll need to link the tablet to an amazon account. Make sure you set all the parental controls etc.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…930
howtogeek.com/236…et/

Original Poster

TylerDurdenUK

No you dont need amazon prime, however I suspect you'll need to link the … No you dont need amazon prime, however I suspect you'll need to link the tablet to an amazon account. Make sure you set all the parental controls etc.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201729930http://www.howtogeek.com/236399/how-to-use-parental-controls-and-child-profiles-on-an-amazon-fire-tablet/

Thanks, does it charge to have an Amazon account?

Original Poster

mbordacs

what i would do if you are tech savvy, is install the google play store, … what i would do if you are tech savvy, is install the google play store, for games youtube and such, http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/regards

Not tech savvy at all lol, I'll look at link.

​no it doesent charge for an amazon account u just need set one up to your email address it takes like two mins.

i have just got one for my 18 month old to keep him going till xmas, got him a samsung for xmas but wish i never bothered, he loves the fire tab.

i have been using it when he goes sleep (as he wont let anyone touch it when hes awake) and for the price it is great it is noticebly slow and has a pixelated screen to me but kids wont know any different.

you cant go wrong for 30 quid.

My 4 yr old has one - I've subbed to Fire Kids for £3.99 a month - every app/game available to him.

What's more, he loves numbers and letters games. His nursery will soon be teaching them to count to 10.... he can count to 50!

jymufc

​no it doesent charge for an amazon account u just need set one up to y … ​no it doesent charge for an amazon account u just need set one up to your email address it takes like two mins.i have just got one for my 18 month old to keep him going till xmas, got him a samsung for xmas but wish i never bothered, he loves the fire tab.i have been using it when he goes sleep (as he wont let anyone touch it when hes awake) and for the price it is great it is noticebly slow and has a pixelated screen to me but kids wont know any different.you cant go wrong for 30 quid.

My missus has one as her main tablet. It's fine for internet.

We bought two of the Fire for Kids Tablets last Christmas, but they were shocking. My wife and I both have iPads and the Kindle tablets were a complete shock to us.

The hardware quality isn't great. In three months we had to send both of them back to Amazon, one for a broken charger socket and the other for issues with the screen. The software isn't much better, especially with the Fire for Kids bit on there.

If there was no Wifi connection, they wouldn't work. Apps that the kids had downloaded yesterday suddenly needed to be downloaded again before they would work, the whole OS would just hang and you'd be forced to reboot the whole thing often more than once and the crowning turd in the water pipe was that when the SD card is full it just switches the Wifi off. So if you're trying to stream something then it won't work until until you've deleted some Apps, which the kids can't do. Bear in mind that they can just download things to their heart's content and this becomes a problem most days especially when kids being kids just press every button they can.

Yes, they're cheap and the two year no quibble guarantee for the Kids one is good, but they're not worth it. If you can stretch to getting him an iPad Mini with a decent padded case then your life will be much easier. We bit the bullet around April and bought them a preowned iPad Mini 2 each from Argos on eBay. With a bit of fettling with the settings, you can turn off Safari, Messages, the App Store etc and all in App purchases can be set to password only.

Your sanity will thank you in the long run
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 30th Nov 2016

heads up to anyone who has one of these, the wall plugs have been recalled for risk of electric shock.

google amazon plug recall and you can email amazon and they will sort you out with a replacement
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
    2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
    3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions