Amazon Fire 7/8 Help

Found 8th Feb
I've been looking at purchasing a budget tablet that can be used instead of my iPad Mini 2 when travelling, in case of loss or damage.

I gather that both the Amazon Fire 7 and HD8 are on-sale but both have mixed reviews online. Ideally, the tablet would be used mainly for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, but also some light web browsing. For these features, how does either tablet perform?

I also note that various members have discussed rooting the tablet to run the stock Android software and sideload other apps/software, whilst others say this can no longer been achieved on new models- which of these is correct?

Appreciate any help and assistance!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
6 Comments
Buy the hd8 you do t need to root it it seems to run everything you need but it from jl our kids have them he charging ports went and they got new replacements u set the 2y guarantee
You don’t need to root them to get the Google Play store and all of the apps that come with it. Also, the ads on the lock screen are annoying but a quick chat to amazon customer services online will rectify that if you explain you didn’t realise it came with ads on the lock screen.
My kids have both and for the money I'm very happy with them. We don't use Netflix but they're fine for your other requirements

+1 hd8

Can always send it back if you're not happy
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 8th Feb
HD8 as it has 1.5GB of ram where the 7 only had 1GB of ram.
also better screen, size and battery on the HD8 for viewing videos,

I know the Kids ver of these comes with a big bumper case, and 2 years no question guarantee inc accidental damage and 1 year kids video service (you can even set up a profile for kids to use so they dont mess with your setup/profile)
I know this as my son has the Fire 7 kid ver 5 (2015) just over 2 years old now. been replaced once as the charging port failed. they even sent out a new Bumper case as when i posted my son one back i posted it with the bumper. the Bumper is a life saving, as my son got the tablet at 2 years old. he is now 4 and drops it all the time and used to stand on it.

Regards to rooting i cannot help, as dont have the 7/HD8 ver 7
Edited by: "djmackie2000" 8th Feb
For the money they are both cracking!

I have bought two as gifts in the past 3 months - one for a 3 year old and another for a 78 year old. Installed Play Store on both (use HowtoGeek website for instructions) then Launcher Hijack and then Nova Launcher - they then appears as stock android devices.

Many will tell you "they're not an ipad" which is true - but they're not an ipad's price neither. £ for £ the Fires are better devices!!
wooke018th Feb

Buy the hd8 you do t need to root it it seems to run everything you need …Buy the hd8 you do t need to root it it seems to run everything you need but it from jl our kids have them he charging ports went and they got new replacements u set the 2y guarantee

kashmemon8th Feb

You don’t need to root them to get the Google Play store and all of the a …You don’t need to root them to get the Google Play store and all of the apps that come with it. Also, the ads on the lock screen are annoying but a quick chat to amazon customer services online will rectify that if you explain you didn’t realise it came with ads on the lock screen.

OneGloveOnTheFence8th Feb

My kids have both and for the money I'm very happy with them. We don't use …My kids have both and for the money I'm very happy with them. We don't use Netflix but they're fine for your other requirements+1 hd8Can always send it back if you're not happy

djmackie20008th Feb

HD8 as it has 1.5GB of ram where the 7 only had 1GB of ram. also better …HD8 as it has 1.5GB of ram where the 7 only had 1GB of ram. also better screen, size and battery on the HD8 for viewing videos, I know the Kids ver of these comes with a big bumper case, and 2 years no question guarantee inc accidental damage and 1 year kids video service (you can even set up a profile for kids to use so they dont mess with your setup/profile) I know this as my son has the Fire 7 kid ver 5 (2015) just over 2 years old now. been replaced once as the charging port failed. they even sent out a new Bumper case as when i posted my son one back i posted it with the bumper. the Bumper is a life saving, as my son got the tablet at 2 years old. he is now 4 and drops it all the time and used to stand on it. Regards to rooting i cannot help, as dont have the 7/HD8 ver 7

Van19738th Feb

For the money they are both cracking! I have bought two as gifts in the …For the money they are both cracking! I have bought two as gifts in the past 3 months - one for a 3 year old and another for a 78 year old. Installed Play Store on both (use HowtoGeek website for instructions) then Launcher Hijack and then Nova Launcher - they then appears as stock android devices.Many will tell you "they're not an ipad" which is true - but they're not an ipad's price neither. £ for £ the Fires are better devices!!

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate the help. I purchased the HD8, sideloaded apps/launchers/software and it runs perfectly so far
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants