Expired

amazon fire tv vs raspberry pi for xbmc

Found 26th Nov 2014
been using raspberry pi for xbmc for a while now, any point upgrading to fire tv? remote would be very big plus as using xbmc remote app isn't really convenient. so does fire tv have any other benefit? raspberry plays 3d, and 5.1 surround sound perfectly, so not sure if fire tv is worth it.
Community Updates
7 Comments
pi was good for a sense of achievement but as a daily usable device it lacked. I ended up getting a gen 2 apple tv from local cash gen for £80 not looked back. thinking of getting a amazon tv due to showbox
i use my firetv for xbmc and its very good, use llama to open xbmc through another app rather than have to scroll through settings etc (google it) have had a few problems with p2p streams and script errors but im still learning, this is my first experience of xbmc and so far i think its amazing
I am in a silmilar position about whether or not to buy the fireTV. I have used xbmc/kodi on a number of devices throughout the years ever since xbox when I used it as the launcher as well as for media/games. It is in my opinion the best media player around for most things, especially with the ability to have add-ons for pretty much anything, it has to be the most versatile media software in the world. That being said, it is only as good as the device you are using to play/use it with, some devices are going to struggle with certain things as dcx mentioned earlier (fixed your down vote for you by the way dcx - someone down voted you for some reason??).

The main thing I am not pleased with about the firetv is that it's only a 10/100 ethernet connection on it, I mean come on Amazon, at most it would have cost about 50p extra I reckon to have a gigabit ethernet instead... other than that the specs stack up great and should be a major point for it. I am just a little worried that Amazon might somehow lock down the device further on so that you can't sideload apps onto it any more, or that in a future firmware update it'll disable the USB ports for media so it'll be another dumb streaming device only. Anyone know the speed of the wireless card on this, I couldn't find it anywhere... I'm hoping it'll be a full 300Mbps N connection then that'll soften the blow.
dcx_badass

I use a proper remote with my pi. The pi is terrible though, fine for … I use a proper remote with my pi. The pi is terrible though, fine for playback but runs like crap for browsing libraries, if it's all you've ever used xbmc on maybe you'd think it was OK, but it's an awful experience. My sub £25 quad core android stick blows the pi out the water performance wise.

You keep on talking about this £25 android stick but never link to it.
Edited by: "rev6" 27th Nov 2014
dcx_badass

I posted 3 links in the thread where everybody asked for links... If … I posted 3 links in the thread where everybody asked for links... If you're too lazy to check back that's not my issue.

Quote my post asking for a link, I would have been notified that you replied, recent activity doesn't show everything. Clearly mentioning this £25 in every post regarding media playback is to attract attention. Lol, lazy!
dcx_badass

Attract attention? We're on a deals site, I'm helping let people know … Attract attention? We're on a deals site, I'm helping let people know there are better/cheaper options. The Mobile site doesn't have a quote button anyway.

Exactly, if you're trying to help, post the link, otherwise you're helping no one and yes, attracting attention by getting us curious people to ask for links. I run a Pi, dont around £30 for it all and not happy about XBMC UI performance. You have my attention.
Edited by: "rev6" 27th Nov 2014
dcx_badass

So have you found the links or … So have you found the links or not?http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/female-usb-hdmi-aux-2054768?p=23409744

I hadn't no, thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions