Amazon Fire TV vs Stick for Kodi?

Found 4th Jan 2016
The Fire TV is £65 whilst the Stick is £35. I want one purely for Kodi. Will it be laggy on the Stick compared to the Fire TV?
Community Updates
28 Comments
The stick works ok (needs force closing now and again). The box is a bit smoother and doesn't seem to hang as much.
I have both and can honestly say there is little between them. The stick would be fine purely for Kodi.
rugbymike

I have both and can honestly say there is little between them. The stick … I have both and can honestly say there is little between them. The stick would be fine purely for Kodi.

If I buy the Amazon fire TV on one amazon account, can I change the email of the Prime account on the Fire TV box?
trojanh

If I buy the Amazon fire TV on one amazon account, can I change the email … If I buy the Amazon fire TV on one amazon account, can I change the email of the Prime account on the Fire TV box?

​not totally sure what the question is but the box can be changed to a different account.
rugbymike

I have both and can honestly say there is little between them. The stick … I have both and can honestly say there is little between them. The stick would be fine purely for Kodi.

I would agree also. The FTV adds voice remote, on the stick you can just download the app for free and get voice (never use voice anyhow!). Though one major difference which is normally where peoples ideas of one being sleeker than the other is the stick is WIFI only and you hear alot of people complaining about its WIFI connection, personally I've had zero issues with WIFI but mines fine at home. FTV has option for wired connection whereas Stick is WIFI only.
Another difference if it is applicable to yourself is FTV will do 4K Stick only 1080p.
If you really wish for the slickest Kodi and android experience go for a Nivida Shield though at £120(Ok they've just went back up to £150!) its not for everyone. But if you gaming, by the time you get FTV at £64.99 and add the gaming controller at £39.99 the Shield is by far the better value and way more powerful machine.
cecilmcroberts

I would agree also. The FTV adds voice remote, on the stick you can just … I would agree also. The FTV adds voice remote, on the stick you can just download the app for free and get voice (never use voice anyhow!). Though one major difference which is normally where peoples ideas of one being sleeker than the other is the stick is WIFI only and you hear alot of people complaining about its WIFI connection, personally I've had zero issues with WIFI but mines fine at home. FTV has option for wired connection whereas Stick is WIFI only. Another difference if it is applicable to yourself is FTV will do 4K Stick only 1080p. If you really wish for the slickest Kodi and android experience go for a Nivida Shield though at £120(Ok they've just went back up to £150!) its not for everyone. But if you gaming, by the time you get FTV at £64.99 and add the gaming controller at £39.99 the Shield is by far the better value and way more powerful machine.

It's fine. I game on the master race with Cross fire 290Xs. Have the xbox consoles too but let the siblings have a go at them. Shield sounds good, but mostly for casuals.
trojanh

It's fine. I game on the master race with Cross fire 290Xs. Have the xbox … It's fine. I game on the master race with Cross fire 290Xs. Have the xbox consoles too but let the siblings have a go at them. Shield sounds good, but mostly for casuals.

Just to add I have 3 devices.
Shield - Primary Tv
Stick - secondary
M8S android box - Third

Personally I would also rate them in the same sequence. Also M8S wise new S9xx series (adds proper 4K) chipset based boxes are out which supersede the M8S on the S8xx series chipsets.
cecilmcroberts

Just to add I have 3 devices. Shield - Primary TvStick - secondaryM8S … Just to add I have 3 devices. Shield - Primary TvStick - secondaryM8S android box - Third Personally I would also rate them in the same sequence. Also M8S wise new S9xx series (adds proper 4K) chipset based boxes are out which supersede the M8S on the S8xx series chipsets.

What I'm saying is that the ramp up in cost to the Shield from the FTV is not worth it for me as I don't game on the Shield.
trojanh

What I'm saying is that the ramp up in cost to the Shield from the FTV is … What I'm saying is that the ramp up in cost to the Shield from the FTV is not worth it for me as I don't game on the Shield.

No worries, understand was more just adding the alt of an android box.
trojanh

It's fine. I game on the master race with Cross fire 290Xs. Have the xbox … It's fine. I game on the master race with Cross fire 290Xs. Have the xbox consoles too but let the siblings have a go at them. Shield sounds good, but mostly for casuals.

If your pc is close to your tv or better yet you have a htpc you could just install kodi on that.
Probably obvious i know but just in case you did not know.
cecilmcroberts

No worries, understand was more just adding the alt of an android box.

Ah yeah no problem, I get that. TBH much rather get an Intel NUC and run an actual PC for the price of a shield. That's just me though, if it was for my family TV definetly get a simpler box like the Shield.

If I purchase a standard Fire Stick or a Chrome Cast purely for Netflix (I plan on using a DNS Geolocation changer for it to unblock region) would I be able to browse smoothly or should I go for something better?
trojanh

Ah yeah no problem, I get that. TBH much rather get an Intel NUC and run … Ah yeah no problem, I get that. TBH much rather get an Intel NUC and run an actual PC for the price of a shield. That's just me though, if it was for my family TV definetly get a simpler box like the Shield.If I purchase a standard Fire Stick or a Chrome Cast purely for Netflix (I plan on using a DNS Geolocation changer for it to unblock region) would I be able to browse smoothly or should I go for something better?

Couldn't answer about the Chromecast never really seen any point in these as a normal cheap android box is much better value. Anyhow yes it will be fine though guy on this other thread ran into an issue personally I only ever had the issue once on the fire stick and the solution I suggested on the other thread worked for me.

hotukdeals.com/tag…614
cecilmcroberts

Couldn't answer about the Chromecast never really seen any point in these … Couldn't answer about the Chromecast never really seen any point in these as a normal cheap android box is much better value. Anyhow yes it will be fine though guy on this other thread ran into an issue personally I only ever had the issue once on the fire stick and the solution I suggested on the other thread worked for me. http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/dns-proxy-amazon-fire-tv-can-help-2367415?p=27018614

Ah I see, thanks for that. So in your opinion should I get a Stick or a Fire TV if I want to play Netflix and then later some Prime Videos? Is it easy to change DNS on Fire devices?

trojanh

Ah I see, thanks for that. So in your opinion should I get a Stick or a … Ah I see, thanks for that. So in your opinion should I get a Stick or a Fire TV if I want to play Netflix and then later some Prime Videos? Is it easy to change DNS on Fire devices?

Both work on same OS so no difference (Guide linked below only difference is wired/wireless) . Unless you need 4K and wired I'd go for the Fire Stick.

https://thevpn.guru/unblock-usa-channels-stick-amazon-fire-tv
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manually-configure-the-ip-address-or-dns-server-on-an-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/
trendblog.net/set…ix/

I was just about to buy it then I realised that I wouldn't know how to setup the home theatre speakers (Optical Out/TOSLINK) onto the Fire Stick... do you know anything that has Optical out for the speakers? I believe the old xbox 360's used to have them but can't find anything else that would plug in from my Amp into the Fire TV.
Edited by: "trojanh" 4th Jan 2016
trojanh

I was just about to buy it then I realised that I wouldn't know how to … I was just about to buy it then I realised that I wouldn't know how to setup the home theatre speakers (Optical Out/TOSLINK) onto the Fire Stick... do you know anything that has Optical out for the speakers? I believe the old xbox 360's used to have them but can't find anything else that would plug in from my Amp into the Fire TV.

Firetv box has optical out but stick doesn't. Apologises also I forgot about the sound output difference.
Most of the Android box's all have optical out if your wishing for something more around the stick price.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 5th Jan 2016
cecilmcroberts

Firetv box has optical out but stick doesn't. Apologises also I forgot … Firetv box has optical out but stick doesn't. Apologises also I forgot about the sound output difference.Most of the Android box's all have optical out if your wishing for something more around the stick price.

Unfortunately the new AFTV does not have any optical out. They've took it out for some reason

I'm not wanting to go down the route of a random Android box, I'm after more stable and reliable hardware, so thinking of getting the Apple TV Gen 3 (which has optical out) for £60. Has a really nice app to control the TV with the phone too! What do you think of it, easy to change DNS and whatnot?
trojanh

Unfortunately the new AFTV does not have any optical out. They've took it … Unfortunately the new AFTV does not have any optical out. They've took it out for some reason ;(I'm not wanting to go down the route of a random Android box, I'm after more stable and reliable hardware, so thinking of getting the Apple TV Gen 3 (which has optical out) for £60. Has a really nice app to control the TV with the phone too! What do you think of it, easy to change DNS and whatnot?

Something to readup on but I believe passthrough works (for sure on Kodi but not sure about Netflix/Prime etc). On the ATV I'm honestly not to sure I've only ever owned a gen 1 years ago before the days of netflix etc so never had to read up on DNS change back then. Never looked at them again as Kodi is no longer supported on ATV and I don't think you can even jailbreak gen 3's (hence the big price difference in gens).

Passthrough:
"Most TV optical outs will only give you 2.0 PCM stereo. With the above box, it'll passthrough the original Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1/7.1 signal to your receiver for it to decode. Due to bandwidth limitations, optical cannot support PCM 5.1, so DTS-HD Master Audio or DD TrueHD would be out, but it'd pass the embedded DTS and DD signal from those. "

cecilmcroberts

Something to readup on but I believe passthrough works (for sure on Kodi … Something to readup on but I believe passthrough works (for sure on Kodi but not sure about Netflix/Prime etc). On the ATV I'm honestly not to sure I've only ever owned a gen 1 years ago before the days of netflix etc so never had to read up on DNS change back then. Never looked at them again as Kodi is no longer supported on ATV and I don't think you can even jailbreak gen 3's (hence the big price difference in gens). Passthrough:"Most TV optical outs will only give you 2.0 PCM stereo. With the above box, it'll passthrough the original Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1/7.1 signal to your receiver for it to decode. Due to bandwidth limitations, optical cannot support PCM 5.1, so DTS-HD Master Audio or DD TrueHD would be out, but it'd pass the embedded DTS and DD signal from those. "

I've just bought this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DZIXIMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It has the TOSLINK on the Switch so all four of my devices get the speaker setup! I'm excited!

Also bought the Apple TV for £35.50 (grade A from CeX) 3rd Gen as if I need to upgrade I'll probably buy the AFTV later, because I can then give the Apple TV to my dad whom has an iPhone/iPad and wants an easier way to do things - especially considering the fact that ATV true AirPlay "just works", where there are loads of bugs on the AFTV to do the same thing.
trojanh

I've just bought this: … I've just bought this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DZIXIMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00It has the TOSLINK on the Switch so all four of my devices get the speaker setup! I'm excited! :)Also bought the Apple TV for £35.50 (grade A from CeX) 3rd Gen as if I need to upgrade I'll probably buy the AFTV later, because I can then give the Apple TV to my dad whom has an iPhone/iPad and wants an easier way to do things - especially considering the fact that ATV true AirPlay "just works", where there are loads of bugs on the AFTV to do the same thing.

True ATV and Apple devices do "play much" better with each other than Apple with Android. With the switch you got I'd read a few forums saying about the switches as ideas but seems to be really device specific with peoples results. Though you do know far as I'm aware you can't get Kodi on the 3rd Gen ATV (Thought that is what you had actually wanted a device for!)
cecilmcroberts

True ATV and Apple devices do "play much" better with each other than … True ATV and Apple devices do "play much" better with each other than Apple with Android. With the switch you got I'd read a few forums saying about the switches as ideas but seems to be really device specific with peoples results. Though you do know far as I'm aware you can't get Kodi on the 3rd Gen ATV (Thought that is what you had actually wanted a device for!)

Thanks for your help. I'm not too fussed about Kodi because some apps are going to be a hassle, finding 3rd party links and whatnot, add-ons are often unreliable, unsafe and unsecure. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a Netflix membership a month if I can get something that "just works".
trojanh

Thanks for your help. I'm not too fussed about Kodi because some apps are … Thanks for your help. I'm not too fussed about Kodi because some apps are going to be a hassle, finding 3rd party links and whatnot, add-ons are often unreliable, unsafe and unsecure. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a Netflix membership a month if I can get something that "just works".

Well you purchased a good buy then with the ATV

Definetly! I paid £35.50 for an ATV, the same price as a Fire Stick!
Edited by: "trojanh" 5th Jan 2016
trojanh

Definetly! I paid £35.50 for an ATV, the same price as a Fire Stick!

Yeah the ATV 3 is so cheap because it can't be jailbroken the earlier versions are more expensive. Price dropping alot also because of the the version and it's around 4 year old now. Only 1080p@30fps also and I'm really confused about this statement

With the 4th generation Apple TV, Apple announced an App Store to go alongside it which will allow any developer to make apps using the APIs available in TVOS specifically tailored towards the TV. Also, since TVOS is based on iOS, any developer can port over apps from iOS and with a few modifications, as Apple stated on stage, can make them available for all Apple TV (4th generation) users with the App Store. The App Store will not be available to previous Apple TVs and will be an exclusive feature to the Apple TV (4th generation)..

That reads to me that you don't get an app store now unless you 4th Gen or higher. Well guess you will soon find out. Let me know how it works might consider one myself for another telly in the house also.

cecilmcroberts

Yeah the ATV 3 is so cheap because it can't be jailbroken the earlier … Yeah the ATV 3 is so cheap because it can't be jailbroken the earlier versions are more expensive. Price dropping alot also because of the the version and it's around 4 year old now. Only 1080p@30fps also and I'm really confused about this statementWith the 4th generation Apple TV, Apple announced an App Store to go alongside it which will allow any developer to make apps using the APIs available in TVOS specifically tailored towards the TV. Also, since TVOS is based on iOS, any developer can port over apps from iOS and with a few modifications, as Apple stated on stage, can make them available for all Apple TV (4th generation) users with the App Store. The App Store will not be available to previous Apple TVs and will be an exclusive feature to the Apple TV (4th generation)..That reads to me that you don't get an app store now unless you 4th Gen or higher. Well guess you will soon find out. Let me know how it works might consider one myself for another telly in the house also.

Appstore is only available to 4th gen. Why would you want more than 30fps for video playback? Most videos are 24/30fps. I game on the PC @ 60fps, but games are different. I would get one just for AirPlay, can't beat it, but if you're not apart of the ecosystem would probably just stick on AFTV. Still though, £120 on JL for the 4th gen, £90 on CeX (therefore about £72 real money). For £72 I would probably get the ATV4 instead of the AFTV, and move the ATV3 to another room.
trojanh

Appstore is only available to 4th gen. Why would you want more than 30fps … Appstore is only available to 4th gen. Why would you want more than 30fps for video playback? Most videos are 24/30fps. I game on the PC @ 60fps, but games are different. I would get one just for AirPlay, can't beat it, but if you're not apart of the ecosystem would probably just stick on AFTV. Still though, £120 on JL for the 4th gen, £90 on CeX (therefore about £72 real money). For £72 I would probably get the ATV4 instead of the AFTV, and move the ATV3 to another room.

Homevids from most phones these days can be @60fps. Totally agree about the airplay which is why I'd think about one myself for another telly. For my others though I like Kodi which is why I'd never went back down that route.
What appeals to me most about airplay is just how its so seemless. It's all wireless, no need to connect HDMI from Mac to TV, I can stream games from Steam to my Mac and then onto the ATV very easily, watch anything on the big screen, have the full functionality of my MBP on the TV means I don't have to bother with a HTPC or any thing else and it'll be awesome for programming with all the screen real-estate. For £35 I would pay just for airplay that works. To me, the Netflix, NOWTV, other apps are just an addedd bonus but essentially you get a solid streaming device that is really versalite and reliable with the ATV.

Also the iCloud photostreaming/music.. all in one. Take some photos and enter the house, want to see them on the TV in one click? Easy, no need to even use AirPlay as iCloud streams natively from the ATV. Access my 500gb iTunes library on my main PC, easy. I believe I can even stream movies from Windows using Air Video so I can let downstairs watch videos whilst I browse or game.

To me using the telly after work absolutely has to be a no fuss experience. I don't want to figure out why this isn't turning landscape, why this is flickering, how to stream from app X, with androids there is too much difference across the multitude of devices and so understandably they don't all work perfectly. Apple is more closed but it means that my iPhone 5S 100% works, the 6S/6/5/4S/ would all work as theres not too much variation to work against. I don't think I can get that anywhere that isn't Apple. It just works.

Edited by: "trojanh" 5th Jan 2016
Box over stick
the box replaces sky, the stick compliments it
the stick can get leggy with football matches and generally live TV,the box hardly ever lags
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants