Amazon free deliveries with Prime at the last minute

Found 29th Sep 2017
I am curious how common this is, in the last 6 months almost all my orders have had this pattern.

I will order an item over the weekend with free super saver delivery. Item is in stock, expected delivery is 4-5 days. Usually within 24 hours my item progresses to "about to be picked/dispatched", or whatever the wording is. Then, nothing. For days, nothing until the night before it is due. My item is then picked and dispatched with Amazon Logistics.

Items are delivered to my work address which is a large office, we get 5-10 Amazon deliveries every day, and presumably some have Prime.

How common is this?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments

Amazon only deliver to business addresses on weekdays, if they give a due date they say it will be there by that date. Try going to a locker or unmarking the address as a business and it will speed up. Also speak to amazon on web chat ask them what you are paying for prime when it’s happening like that and they will give you a free months.

Original Poster

eslick13 m ago

Amazon only deliver to business addresses on weekdays, if they give a due …Amazon only deliver to business addresses on weekdays, if they give a due date they say it will be there by that date. Try going to a locker or unmarking the address as a business and it will speed up. Also speak to amazon on web chat ask them what you are paying for prime when it’s happening like that and they will give you a free months.

You have misunderstood. I do not have Prime and this isn't marked as a "business address". Weekday delivery isn't an issue and is not impacting this, when I order over the weekend my item arrives Thursday, Friday not the week after.

My question was about Amazon preferring to delay shipment to bundle with their own courier which I am guessing is the same courier delivering Prime items on next day basis rather than giving to Royal Mail or whomever earlier in the week. Interestingly, they don't hand to the Amazon driver until the last day.

Anecdotally, I'd say that this is becoming increasingly common - while of course we can't know for certain, I'd suggest two potential reasons for this could be either that they're just managing the workload of their couriers and fitting in the deliveries when most suitable, or alternatively(and perhaps more likely), that this is primarily to try to promote the attractiveness of a paid Prime subscription,

Original Poster

Illusionary35 m ago

Anecdotally, I'd say that this is becoming increasingly common - while of …Anecdotally, I'd say that this is becoming increasingly common - while of course we can't know for certain, I'd suggest two potential reasons for this could be either that they're just managing the workload of their couriers and fitting in the deliveries when most suitable, or alternatively(and perhaps more likely), that this is primarily to try to promote the attractiveness of a paid Prime subscription,

Thanks. Promoting the attractiveness of Prime certainly seems to be strongly suggested online including in your links, even if it is not to actively punish non-Prime they (we) are now clearly bottom of the list.

Amazon logistics (white van man) is probably cheaper than Royal Mail at this stage, especially in and around cities/large towns so the grouping makes sense, just a shame they never seem to group on any day except the last possible to deliver by the promised date. The ridiculousness of consistently saying "about to dispatch" for 3-4 days supports first point.

It's funny, I had an ebay item from China arrive in 10 days. My last Amazon UK order took 7.

Is Amazon logistics everywhere now or are there regions where they don't do this and just give to RM? I wonder.

It will be interesting to see what happens when it gets busier in 2 months.

faxmax10 m ago

Thanks. Promoting the attractiveness of Prime certainly seems to be …Thanks. Promoting the attractiveness of Prime certainly seems to be strongly suggested online including in your links, even if it is not to actively punish non-Prime they (we) are now clearly bottom of the list.Amazon logistics (white van man) is probably cheaper than Royal Mail at this stage, especially in and around cities/large towns so the grouping makes sense, just a shame they never seem to group on any day except the last possible to deliver by the promised date. The ridiculousness of consistently saying "about to dispatch" for 3-4 days supports first point.It's funny, I had an ebay item from China arrive in 10 days. My last Amazon UK order took 7.Is Amazon logistics everywhere now or are there regions where they don't do this and just give to RM? I wonder.It will be interesting to see what happens when it gets busier in 2 months.

Amazon do still use Royal Mail at times, but I couldn't say what the distinction is that determines when.

I had a standard none prime delivery be dispatched at 5pm and arrive by 8pm once and I'm not even in a prime now area. This was on the day it was due and about 4-5 days after I ordered.

At least you’re getting told. Mine have turned up early a few times without any pre-warning how I haven’t missed one yet I don’t know! Thankfully my latest order I’ll definitely been in as I’m on partial bed-rest (can’t walk around too much)

I think I must be in a good area for deliveries, don't have prime, but have had some things turned up the day after ordering. Current order was placed late Thursday night and is out for delivery today. Maybe it has something to do with how far away from an Amazon warehouse you are as well.

faxmax9 h, 50 m ago

You have misunderstood. I do not have Prime and this isn't marked as a …You have misunderstood. I do not have Prime and this isn't marked as a "business address". Weekday delivery isn't an issue and is not impacting this, when I order over the weekend my item arrives Thursday, Friday not the week after.My question was about Amazon preferring to delay shipment to bundle with their own courier which I am guessing is the same courier delivering Prime items on next day basis rather than giving to Royal Mail or whomever earlier in the week. Interestingly, they don't hand to the Amazon driver until the last day.

Yeah didn’t read it properly, we had the same before we had prime all amazon would say was it came before the due date. On the business they have a list of their own as well so that can delay things.

amazon work in mysterious ways. I ordered a phone from them which hermes left dumped outside behind my bin, luckily undamaged. The £5 case I ordered for it came by DPD in the big wagon and had to be signed for.

Ironically before I got prime, my deliveries arrived next or the day after (on free). Since I've had prime I've had more delays! Hmmm not sure that's the business model they are afar lol.

My guess what you're seeing is when the status is "picking" it's been passed onto the warehouse system, you see no update until it's complete, which is when its handed to the courier. To me it's just in the warehouse system, with prime orders taking picking priority, and they do non prime when less busy. So it's not actually picked yet hence the few days in the black hole.

never had an issue with Prime, perfect flawless delivery, I almost feel bad making new accounts every month to get it for free. Almost.

You can share prime with a number of people - me, my dad and another family member used the same prime subscription on all of our amazon accounts for years - that’s £27 a year each. Perfect.

Original Poster

dcx_badass13 h, 59 m ago

I had a standard none prime delivery be dispatched at 5pm and arrive by …I had a standard none prime delivery be dispatched at 5pm and arrive by 8pm once and I'm not even in a prime now area. This was on the day it was due and about 4-5 days after I ordered.

I've never had it shipped on the day, always the day before for normal Prime next day, I am in a Prime Now area.

Original Poster

Dolphinzz13 h, 11 m ago

At least you’re getting told. Mine have turned up early a few times w …At least you’re getting told. Mine have turned up early a few times without any pre-warning how I haven’t missed one yet I don’t know! Thankfully my latest order I’ll definitely been in as I’m on partial bed-rest (can’t walk around too much)

I always get the "dispatch" and "out for delivery" emails. Get well soon.

Original Poster

tinkerbellian6 h, 9 m ago

I think I must be in a good area for deliveries, don't have prime, but …I think I must be in a good area for deliveries, don't have prime, but have had some things turned up the day after ordering. Current order was placed late Thursday night and is out for delivery today. Maybe it has something to do with how far away from an Amazon warehouse you are as well.

I am in a good, busy area for Amazon. Many daily deliveries to just my address (large office) and a Prime Now area.

Original Poster

tallpete335 h, 15 m ago

amazon work in mysterious ways. I ordered a phone from them which hermes …amazon work in mysterious ways. I ordered a phone from them which hermes left dumped outside behind my bin, luckily undamaged. The £5 case I ordered for it came by DPD in the big wagon and had to be signed for.

Yes, I have had delicate items without any packaging just a wrap of cardboard and tiny, cheap items in huge boxes, nothing new. What is new is that I haven't had a courier other than Amazon Logistics in a very long time, probably a year now.

Original Poster

chezybezy3 h, 36 m ago

Ironically before I got prime, my deliveries arrived next or the day after …Ironically before I got prime, my deliveries arrived next or the day after (on free). Since I've had prime I've had more delays! Hmmm not sure that's the business model they are afar lol.My guess what you're seeing is when the status is "picking" it's been passed onto the warehouse system, you see no update until it's complete, which is when its handed to the courier. To me it's just in the warehouse system, with prime orders taking picking priority, and they do non prime when less busy. So it's not actually picked yet hence the few days in the black hole.

It wasn't like this before. Picking stage took a few hours, essentially done within the shift, not several days. The picking message is now basically meaningless.

faxmax1 h, 57 m ago

I always get the "dispatch" and "out for delivery" emails. Get well soon.

Ah see I don’t even get these now. I used to, but now they’ll turn up any day they want and thanks getting better and stronger day by day
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants