amazon gift cards ebay

Can anyone explain why large amounts of amazon gift cards go for greater than their face value on ebay?

7 Comments

People offloading their "untaxed" earnings in their Paypal accounts. Linking their Paypal accounts to a bank account would mean that the tax man might find them during an audit.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Oct 2016

SUMMONER

People offloading their "untaxed" earnings in their Paypal accounts. … People offloading their "untaxed" earnings in their Paypal accounts. Linking their Paypal accounts to a bank account would mean that the tax man might find them during an audit.

​that's quite interesting, just done a search on ebay and every single listing is going for more than it's worth as the OP said

Yes. Money laundering.

SUMMONER

People offloading their "untaxed" earnings in their Paypal accounts. … People offloading their "untaxed" earnings in their Paypal accounts. Linking their Paypal accounts to a bank account would mean that the tax man might find them during an audit.

I thought you had to link your PayPal account to a bank account?

Dougaldog

I thought you had to link your PayPal account to a bank account?

I am unsure if things have changed, but in the past you only had to do that if you wanted the maximum sending/receiving limits removed from your account or cash out.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Oct 2016

An audit wouldn't cover a personal bank account.

A HMRC tax investigation on the other hand is a different story.

A lot of it could also be due to PayPal fraud/account hijacking.

Easy way of spending someone elses money, and nothing to tie it to you if able to get the Amazon card sent to a collection point.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691418
    2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2747
    3. One for the mathmeticians2438
    4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261381

See more discussions