Amazon Hacked Scam

Posted 13th Feb
The "Your Amazon Account has been hacked" is doing the rounds again. If you get the telephone call from a Darlek asking you to press 1, hang up. I got a call today on a number Amazon nor my bank have.
Community Updates
Misc
8 Comments
A telephone call from a Darlek??! Oh my goodness how terrifying! Call the Doctor immediately! @fanpages may be able to contact her
*oh, fanpages has been banned
Edited by: "jco83" 13th Feb

l wonder if we'll ever see the day these jokers are finally stubbed out. It's a constant worry as my parents get daily calls from scammers and I have to keep reiterating the need NOT to answer. I sourced them a phone that tells you if it's an "international" number - so leave it (or let it go to a/phone) but the 'scummers' are using these "auto dialer" systems that display a 'proper' number now - which they then answer!

I've now managed to get Mum to ALWAYS let the answerphone get all unknown calls - then she can pick up if it sounds genuine etc. Dad though is a whole other issue!!! He'll pick up and spill his guts to everyone as he says it feels "rude" not to???

I'll get Mum to withhold his meals if he keeps doing it.
I like watching the Youtube videos where they access the scammers desktop and delete all the files or they just play along and waste an hour or so.
Have had 5 calls over 2days all different numbers .
Phsycronix13/02/2020 13:02

...It's a constant worry as my parents get daily calls from scammers and I …...It's a constant worry as my parents get daily calls from scammers and I have to keep reiterating the need NOT to answer. I sourced them a phone that tells you if it's an "international" number - so leave it (or let it go to a/phone) but the 'scummers' are using these "auto dialer" systems that display a 'proper' number now - which they then answer!I've now managed to get Mum to ALWAYS let the answerphone get all unknown calls - then she can pick up if it sounds genuine etc. Dad though is a whole other issue!!! He'll pick up and spill his guts to everyone as he says it feels "rude" not to??? I'll get Mum to withhold his meals if he keeps doing it.

If your folks are capable of listening to a real caller announce themselves it may be worth considering a landline handset having the Trucall / Call Guadian or similar virtual assistant system, where even before the recipient's phone rings the call is intercepted and its CLI compared to the handset's contacts. If the CLI matches a contact the intercepted call is then passed to the handset as normal. If the incoming CLI is not in contacts, the caller is invited to record their name and then put on hold whilst the recording is passed to the now-ringing handset for the recipient to listen to the announced name, where the recipient can decide to permit the call to connect once, all subsequent times, dump to answerphone or do nothing. Exceptionally simple concept that bins the auto-diallers straightaway without even ringing the handset, and the "real human" scammers rarely introduce themselves as anything credible so they get binned as well.
Most mid to upper BT landline handset range have this feature, example from £20 refurb / £35 new Amazon amazon.co.uk/dp/…5I/ and usually no need to buy more than the a one-handset base station if the base station and additional (existing?) handsets are DECT GAP compatible.
MO example at:
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 21:05

If your folks are capable of listening to a real caller announce …If your folks are capable of listening to a real caller announce themselves it may be worth considering a landline handset having the Trucall / Call Guadian or similar virtual assistant system, where even before the recipient's phone rings the call is intercepted and its CLI compared to the handset's contacts. If the CLI matches a contact the intercepted call is then passed to the handset as normal. If the incoming CLI is not in contacts, the caller is invited to record their name and then put on hold whilst the recording is passed to the now-ringing handset for the recipient to listen to the announced name, where the recipient can decide to permit the call to connect once, all subsequent times, dump to answerphone or do nothing. Exceptionally simple concept that bins the auto-diallers straightaway without even ringing the handset, and the "real human" scammers rarely introduce themselves as anything credible so they get binned as well.Most mid to upper BT landline handset range have this feature, example from £20 refurb / £35 new Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CP2DT5I/ and usually no need to buy more than the a one-handset base station if the base station and additional (existing?) handsets are DECT GAP compatible.MO example at:[Video]

Cheers Andy. Great idea and concept. Have been down "that road" however. I don't know if you have any yourself but if you've ever tried convincing elderly folks to try something new - let's just say, it's a struggle! I've done what I can by programming in EVERY contact number I can think of, so it displays a name when anyone calls. If it doesn't say a name, leave it for the machine. Kind of does the same (in a way) as those systems - but without the 'blocking' effect. It's more just training them (mainly Dad!) to not pick up and chat with some 'randomer' who is just milking for info. I keep telling them - the more you speak to them, the MORE calls you will get - as they are 'flagged' as a live contact and sold on.

It's a long battle but I think the message is getting through. I wanted to get them a 'new' landline number so they could start from a clean slate but I can't even get them to take that step...
Phsycronix16/02/2020 12:04

Cheers Andy. Great idea and concept. Have been down "that road" however. I …Cheers Andy. Great idea and concept. Have been down "that road" however. I don't know if you have any yourself but if you've ever tried convincing elderly folks to try something new - let's just say, it's a struggle!...

Went down the BT call guardian route with a technophobe elderly great aunt. Huge sign next to phone about which of the 3 buttons to press, or do nothing, where the do nothing was the most common approach (then listen to any answerphone msg) until she became familar with the concept.
AndyRoyd16/02/2020 20:38

Went down the BT call guardian route with a technophobe elderly great …Went down the BT call guardian route with a technophobe elderly great aunt. Huge sign next to phone about which of the 3 buttons to press, or do nothing, where the do nothing was the most common approach (then listen to any answerphone msg) until she became familar with the concept.

Love it. Now, if the "huge sign" could also have a gadget attached to slap my Father's hand as he reaches for the handset - much better idea. As you say, it's becoming familiar with something so it becomes habit. Mum has now "got it" and I think she's drilling it into Dad too.

He's not daft. I know he's as 'wary' as me about scams etc. but unfortunately he's one of those types who would talk to Jack The Ripper like he was his besty! He's too polite for his own good, as they say and all these 'scummers' need are a few bits of "choice" info that they can get their teeth into - or pass on.

39925990-9wih5.jpgNO Dad. Bad Dad. Repeat after me - "I will not answer the phone to strangers."

We'll get there. Eventually!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants