Amazon introduce 'Amazon Go'

Editor
What do you guys think? Amazon have announced Amazon Go. A bricks and mortar store with no queues and no actual physical cash transactions. Everything you pickup and purchase is deducted from your Amazon account.

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/wFntrthVJKE4wB7zQxQjSK-970-80.jpg

Bumpf credit [TechRadar]

No amount of deals and advances in shipping technology can keep you from just driving to the damned store and buying that thing. Amazon knows this. And, Amazon, in its infinite capitalistic wisdom, has an answer to that conundrum: Amazon Go.

Announced via a simple YouTube video, Amazon Go is a real-life, brick-and-mortar grocery store based in Seattle, Washington that’s expected to open in early 2017. The online retail giant has brought the heady concepts of machine learning, computer vision and “sensor fusion” – ooh, a new buzzword to use – together to create an internet-connected supermarket.

The basic gist is that, with an Amazon Go app, folks can simply check into the Amazon Go store with a QR code scanner attached to a turnstiles. Then, every shelf in the store seems to be hooked up to a variety of sensors and cameras, so that it knows when you pick something up.

From there, Amazon Go automatically updates a temporary cart within the app that fills up as you shop. Once you leave with those items the same way you came in, your Amazon account is charged for the total.

If you decide to put something back before you leave, s’all good – your temporary cart automatically updates any changes.

All of these bits of tech working together come under Amazon’s umbrella of what it calls “Just Walk Out Technology.” In other words, we’ve officially ran out of cool names for proprietary tech that isn’t actually proprietary at all.

While many balked at Amazon’s physical bookstores – though, its Dash buttons seem to be popular – Amazon Go looks as if the company is truly onto something. At the very least, Amazon has brought self-checkout at the grocery store to its logical conclusion way faster than any of us were expecting.

Look out for Amazon Go at 2131 7th Avenue in Seattle, Washington in early 2017 – or just wait until 2018 when this tech has taken over every supermarket you know.

21 Comments

Guess I wont need the mask anymore.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/shoplifting-shutterstock-370x242.jpg

Excellent, now when the store is busy (like Black Friday, etc) you can't really tell who is shopping and who is shop lifting, lol.

Great until hackers find a way to go shopping on your behalf.

why on earth shop there?

ha ha ha!! New ways to rob Amazon
Edited by: "vassy1" 5th Dec 2016

davewave

why on earth shop there?

No queues.

Hope I can catch Pikachu.

or just wait until 2018 when this tech has taken over every supermarket … or just wait until 2018 when this tech has taken over every supermarket you know...

Problem is no one will be able to afford to go shopping by then, When all their jobs in retail have gone to this technology!.

When we are taken over by self driving lorrys, taxis, flying drone deliveries and automated warehouses, domestic robots etc etc, the only place we will be going shopping is the food bank and soup kitchens.
Doesn't sound too rosey this future to me where no one has a job anymore. and what will all the Visiting EU workforce do? There will be riots!

Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 5th Dec 2016

Overdrafts and debts ahoy

Moonwolf1976

Problem is no one will be able to afford to go shopping by then, When … Problem is no one will be able to afford to go shopping by then, When all their jobs in retail have gone to this technology!. When we are taken over by self driving lorrys, and taxis, automated warehouses, robots etc etc, only place we will be going shopping is the food bank and soup kitchens doesn't sound so good this future to me where no one has a job anymore. and what will all the Visiting EU workforce do? There will be riots!

One day we will have to give up this notion of earning money to live, with each passing year the population grows and more and more wotk becomes automated. humsn worker units are already becoming obsolete

So all thieves need to do is....

https://media.giphy.com/media/MS0fQBmGGMaRy/giphy.gif

Absolutely huge news if it works. Obviously amazon won't roll out something that could lose them thousands in thefts, and if this takes off across the industry then hundreds of thousands of people if not millions across the world could see their jobs disappear.

i think eventually governments will realise theirs too many humans on earth and a ban will be put on births or everyone gets steralised at birth, eventually the population will become much smaller,

An elite race will be pampered and served constantly by robots, No one will work anymore, They will all interact with each other via internet never actuality physicaly meeting up with anyone, And rarely going outside, some will live entire lives cocooned in their sleeping pods, food and everything they desire, will be provided for them by the Amazon machines! when more humans are required, the machines will generate them in Amazons labs, no one will have sex anymore! oO

Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 5th Dec 2016

The cost to implement something like this would be astonishing. Wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost.

Also would be interesting to see how it copes in busy atmosphere, it's all well and good when you have one person in the proximity picking up one item.bit what's it like when you have two people very close to each other.

Edited by: "lidds" 5th Dec 2016

splatsplatsplat

So all thieves need to do is....

Does that mean the shelves scream unexpected item on the baggage scale ever 5 seconds

Moonwolf1976

i think eventually governments will realise theirs too many humans on … i think eventually governments will realise theirs too many humans on earth and a ban will be put on births or everyone gets steralised at birth, eventually the population will become much smaller, An elite race will be pampered and served constantly by robots, No one will work anymore, They will all interact with each other via internet never actuality physicaly meeting up with anyone, And rarely going outside, some will live entire lives cocooned in their sleeping pods, food and everything they desire, will be provided for them by the Amazon machines! when more humans are required, the machines will generate them in Amazons labs, no one will have sex anymore! oO

So...no 3 seashells then.

lidds

The cost to implement something like this would be astonishing. Wonder … The cost to implement something like this would be astonishing. Wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost.Also would be interesting to see how it copes in busy atmosphere, it's all well and good when you have one person in the proximity picking up one item.bit what's it like when you have two people very close to each other.

not long when you consider they wont have to pay anyone, or arrange pensions or pay tax, i just dont get how it will work surely you have to scan the shopping in to the trolley, how can it know like you say in busy times what everyone has is picking up at once and walking out with? its creepy all those cameras must be 3D moddeling your face and tracking your every move and expression! do they share that data with government for a person of interest style super computer i wonder spying on all our every move?

Error440

So...no 3 seashells then.

thinking a bit more about it, i think we will all just be in pods hooked up and providing power to Amazons servers and drones like in the matrix, and an artificial reality created to keep us sane, or are we allready in that situation and we just dont known it, cos we haven't yet woken up?! :-/
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X5sKFKRMv5Y/UilF7bgpPYI/AAAAAAAABhY/EMh5Pt-qzuo/s1600/Matrix-humanbattery.jpg

Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 6th Dec 2016

I think the future is borg, humans need exercise and wouldn't last long in the state you discribe, look forward to more division based on your implants jobs chosen for you for life based on what implants have been added, and a sub level of norms left in the slums of midgar.

I still hope for 3 seashells.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
    2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
    3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
    4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions