Amazon item cancelled then re-listed more expensive

I purchased an electrical item on Amazon (supplied by them) which was very good deal but had a 1 to 3 month delivery (5th Oct to 5th Dec). No money was taken but three weeks later i got an email saying that their supplier was saying that it was no longer available and the order was cancelled. Two days later, on the original 5th October delivery date the item reappeared on Amazon, in stock and £200 more expensive.
Can they do this and could i purchase the item at the higher price and take action to recover the difference as 'loss of bargain' ??

any advice would be appreciated

26 Comments

Did they take any money from you? No. Therefore the order was never accepted, no contract was formed, there is no case to answer (imo)

There price changing is getting worse, a laptop ive been looking at goes up and down about 3 times a day - need luck in buying at the cheapest time

Supermod

Your contract has not been formed so no, you cannot sue for "loss of bargain".

Original Poster

if they had stated that it was a misprice then i'd have no problems but they said it was no longer but two days later it reappears in stock..... surely a lie or deception

it may be false info from their suppliers, if you contact them they may do something for you their customer service is normally very good

Supermod

curtlyb

if they had stated that it was a misprice then i'd have no problems but … if they had stated that it was a misprice then i'd have no problems but they said it was no longer but two days later it reappears in stock..... surely a lie or deception

...but they don't HAVE to sell it to you just because you have made an offer following their invitation to treat.

Banned

buy it, wait 20 days and say it never turned up and get a refund, yes that's "fraud" but they wont know and it's their own fault for screwing you over

Supermod

DaveLister

buy it, wait 20 days and say it never turned up and get a refund, yes … buy it, wait 20 days and say it never turned up and get a refund, yes that's "fraud" but they wont know and it's their own fault for screwing you over

How have they screwed them over when they didn't have to sell the item to them in the first place?!

Banned

magicjay1986

How have they screwed them over when they didn't have to sell the item to … How have they screwed them over when they didn't have to sell the item to them in the first place?!

because they've obviously lied about the stock, cancelled the order and upped the price

Supermod

DaveLister

because they've obviously lied about the stock, cancelled the order and … because they've obviously lied about the stock, cancelled the order and upped the price

You don't know that for sure and you are only guessing. They could have realised they had no stock from a particular supplier and it turns out they didn't and had to use another supplier. Yes, this is another idea. Just like yours, it is speculation.

There is no excuse to do what you suggest.

This as happened to us as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When we complained about it,they just said so what!!
Also when our daughter saved her money for a game,she wanted!!She brought the game then about 20 mins later it was about £12 less,they would not swap the price over to the better price!
SO we never buy anything from Amazon now.

Supermod

Mr cool

This as happened to us as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When we complained about … This as happened to us as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When we complained about it,they just said so what!!Also when our daughter saved her money for a game,she wanted!!She brought the game then about 20 mins later it was about £12 less,they would not swap the price over to the better price!SO we never buy anything from Amazon now.

Did they actually say "so what?".

I found a book for 1p, ordered the last one and it was cancelled the following day, checked and they had relisted about 10 of them as full price (around £10).

I complained to them that the item was in stock and said that I wanted my order re-opening at the price I had originally ordered it at. They did this and a week or so later I got my book.

Had they said it was a misprice, I wouldnt of bothered but was the fact that they were lying about it

Banned

curtlyb

if they had stated that it was a misprice then i'd have no problems but … if they had stated that it was a misprice then i'd have no problems but they said it was no longer but two days later it reappears in stock..... surely a lie or deception

It may not be a lie. The supplier might have said it was no longer available so they needed to go to another supplier to source the item at a higher cost to them so they have to increase the price.

You haven't lost anything or had any money taken from you so just move on and if it upsets you so much don't use Amazon again

Banned

Mr cool

This as happened to us as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When we complained about … This as happened to us as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When we complained about it,they just said so what!!Also when our daughter saved her money for a game,she wanted!!She brought the game then about 20 mins later it was about £12 less,they would not swap the price over to the better price!SO we never buy anything from Amazon now.

should have returned the game then and bought it again - simple really!

lol at you boycotting amazon even though you might have to pay more elsewhere

DaveLister

buy it, wait 20 days and say it never turned up and get a refund, yes … buy it, wait 20 days and say it never turned up and get a refund, yes that's "fraud" but they wont know and it's their own fault for screwing you over

IDIOT something of this value would need a signature on delivery anyway

Paddy Charlie

It may not be a lie. The supplier might have said it was no longer … It may not be a lie. The supplier might have said it was no longer available so they needed to go to another supplier to source the item at a higher cost to them so they have to increase the price.

This. ^^^^^

What do schools teach nowdays??? oO

magicjay1986

Did they actually say "so what?".

pmsl....not per word,but yes after a few emails,that was all they came up with!

csiman

should have returned the game then and bought it again - simple … should have returned the game then and bought it again - simple really!lol at you boycotting amazon even though you might have to pay more elsewhere

Lol...Amazon are the best at this game sorry to say,yes the price was changed,to a low price,then went back up again about 30 mins later,otherwise we would have done what you said!!
It is like selling a car for 8k,for 30 mins then saying oh SORRY,that price is now 9k,simple they change the price of stuff,so fast!
SORRY but if you have been given,a bad service,a few times,you do not go back!! After a time,you see that they are not all that on price anyway!

So with that, advice is do not shop at Amazon...bitter me , oh yea!!

Banned

its annoying, but no different to buying something instore and the next day its on an offer price or reduced, its just one of those things

Banned

Mr cool

Lol...Amazon are the best at this game sorry to say,yes the price was … Lol...Amazon are the best at this game sorry to say,yes the price was changed,to a low price,then went back up again about 30 mins later,otherwise we would have done what you said!!It is like selling a car for 8k,for 30 mins then saying oh SORRY,that price is now 9k,simple they change the price of stuff,so fast!SORRY but if you have been given,a bad service,a few times,you do not go back!! After a time,you see that they are not all that on price anyway!

its called supply and demand. Prices change due to stock levels. Do you boycott airlines cos your price varied after you had booked?

Banned

Mr cool

So with that, advice is do not shop at Amazon...bitter me , oh yea!!

it shows!

Original Poster

well, bit of an update guys'n'gals.
Rang customer services and a very nice lady looked into the transactions and stated the usual stuff about being discontinued and unavailability etc etc, i very pleasantly fought my corner and stated that i wouldn't have been bothered if it had been a price error but it had stated lack of stock. After a minute she put me on hold to speak to a supervisor and came back to say that on this occasion, as a one-off, they would refund me the difference !!!!! RESULT, £896 camera down to £669 oO.
My faith in larger companies has been restored.... roll on Friday

Good news glad you got it, it will shut this lot up to X)

Supermod

waterloo

Good news glad you got it, it will shut this lot up to X)

If you are referring to "us lot" then I would suggest you take a step back and read the title of this thread. The OP was asking for advice and they received advice.

Just reading the posts in this thread I notice you offer nothing but this last comment.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
    2. word association Game74044544
    3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
    4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions