Amazon item not as described...

Found 22nd Feb
OK folks, hopefully somebody can help with the small pickle I find myself in...
Saved up and bought an Xbox one x from a third party seller on Amazon. Clearly stated it was New. Arrived yesterday and the box had a massive hole in the side. The seals were opened on box, all the wrapping on the console and accessories had been taken off and badly replaced. The box itself has the Argos item code sticker on. So yeah... Not new. Contacted amazon who contacted the company for me. They emailed saying it is new so what's wrong with it. Pictures were taken during opening etc.
It looks like the console is new though. Maybe someone bought it, tried it and sold onto this company who have sold as new or bought it and this company have opened it to test, I don't know.
I've not tested the console itself.

Now... I've been saving for ages for this and amazon themselves don't seem to be selling any themselves, only 3rd party sellers. Should I bite bullet and keep it, ask for money back and send it back or try to get a partial refund for the difference on a new and used?

I'm so confused
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I would return if you want new.
You paid for new. Id return it. Could have bought one cheaper on ebay if you wanted used.
brailer7 m ago

You paid for new. Id return it. Could have bought one cheaper on ebay if …You paid for new. Id return it. Could have bought one cheaper on ebay if you wanted used.

This
Assuming you kept a copy of the original listing I would insist on a refund and keep Amazon informed. They may not be able to intervene but if they build up a folio of complaints they will act later (just not for you, but helping others isn't so bad).
mrty2 h, 34 m ago

Assuming you kept a copy of the original listing I would insist on a …Assuming you kept a copy of the original listing I would insist on a refund and keep Amazon informed. They may not be able to intervene but if they build up a folio of complaints they will act later (just not for you, but helping others isn't so bad).

h2yprboy4 h, 19 m ago

I would return if you want new.

brailer3 h, 59 m ago

You paid for new. Id return it. Could have bought one cheaper on ebay if …You paid for new. Id return it. Could have bought one cheaper on ebay if you wanted used.

Thanks
Raise a claim through Amazon - in the order history, find the item and there is a 'File / view claim' link, fill in the details let them know its in shoddy condition and clearly used, you want a full refund including postage.
When I buy something described as new, I reasonably expect the whole retail package to be new, not just the item inside the retail package. Your description could possibly pass as a typical Amazon Warehouse item, where an item may have been previously assesed by a customer who then decided to return (change of mind) and is then re-sold at a discounted price. If this (new, open box?) situation is acceptable to you and you still have a legitimate / full warranty route, you could consider compensation of a partial refund if the merchant is flexible. I would have certain reservations though - if the merchant insists the whole package was new when despatched when evidently the item had been poorly repacked, it may indicate potential problems in obtaining satisfactory customer service from this merchant in the future. Your call.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants